Author Topic: brainwashed  (Read 1886 times)

Offline dreammagician

• View Profile
brainwashed
« on: November 03, 2002, 07:36:00 AM »
Funny thing, my parents will never give up. They have too much pride to even ponder the thought that straight may have been a bad idea. I don't know how many times over the last 20 years I have tried in vane to convince them that it was bad. They always say I was court ordered. That is a lie, I would have known if I was court ordered. Sure, I got alot of trouble back then, but damn if I was to know I was court ordered. I always hated in open meetings when I heard my mom and dad pass the microphone and say LOVE YA JEFF. I always thought this was gonna be true that they really loved me. Tough love I can live without. My parents drive me crazy because they are still those straight parents with those straight attitudes. I swear to God they haven't let up at all. They tell me when my hair gets long that I look like a druggie. They haven'
t supported me at all in my life after straight. Last April I almost died in a bad bike accident. Punctured lungs and bang on the head. Police and ambulance came but because of certain circumstances like jail because of what I was carrying I refused treatment. It was crazy, I had to walk in the emergency room 2 days later because of internal bleeding. To make a long story short I was bad bad off and the only way out was to call them and they came and I finally convinced everyone I was OK, Winter Park Police wanted me bad, they said they could smell they alcohol and I knew if I went in I was going away for a while. I couldn't move the next day and needed my mom's help to get out of bed because of my broken ribs. She said you got yourself into this mess, now get yourself out. I am sick of you and your druggie behavior. I hate tough love, although I am thankful that they picked me up and I didn't have to go to jail. I still hate straight.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline dreammagician

• View Profile
brainwashed
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2002, 07:43:00 AM »
I guess the point I am trying to make is that the only thing that matters to these people is that we are straight. Another words, if you rebel or smoke the herb you are not a kind person. This is the most frustrating part about it.

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
brainwashed
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2002, 08:03:00 AM »
Jeff, I am so sorry that your relationship with your parents is like that.  I am very luckey to have a strong family relationship today, despite straight.  I blew up on my dad a while back when we were out on his boat....getting cleaned up after a day of dolphin fishing he asked me to do something as if I was 14 in straight...an order, not a request.  I popped.  Right there in a fancy marina, tourists, dock attendants, my kids and all.  I yelled DO NOT TALK TO ME LIKE THAT>>I AM 36, not in straight!  Got right in his face.  It felt good.  He was really pissed, but that night we cleared the air on a LOT of shit from way back when.  Then we smoked a fat cuban cigar and whacked a bottle of Silver Oak.
I guess the DFAF would say we are okay cause it was good wine.  God help if we had smoked some killer bud...
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline Shelby

• View Profile
brainwashed
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2002, 09:30:00 AM »
My opinion of parents who still don't emotionally support their kids after all this time is that it's a flaw with them, not you. If they weren't emotionally damaged in their own childhood, then more than likely,  they had your life all planned out in advance - forcing their dreams, hopes, goals, etc. on you. You chose a different path, didn't go along with their expectations - which is perfectly understandable since you aren't them. But instead of letting you be you and loving you "warts" and all, they're cold and distant. And think that "tough love" (emotional cruelty) will change you into the person they want you to be. They're still hanging on to their selfish desires for YOUR life. If they've ever told you they were disappointed in you, that's proof right there. Be who you want to be. Do what makes you happy. Parents are a nice thing to have, but as an adult, I haven't found them to be a necessity.

Shelby
mom of 6  :smile:

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
brainwashed
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2002, 05:12:00 PM »
Shelby nailed it.  It is your parents problem if they cannot understand what being a parent to an adult means.  Unconditional love, reasonable support.  Never deflate your child's dreams.  Even if it is to be a Checkers french fry guy.  
My parents are getting a "thank you for changing your ways after straight" call tonight.  I wish I could help get that message through to some of you guy's parents.
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
brainwashed
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2002, 06:22:00 PM »
I agree with you on that Tampa Survivor. My mom was a very abusive parent, after Straight somehow, something changed her to be a caring loving mother. Could be she needed this place more than I did.. lol
usan Minns