Author Topic: About girls discrediting those with negative experiences  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
About girls discrediting those with negative experiences
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »
On 2005-05-21 08:54:00, katfish wrote:

Granted their welcome to do the same, but when the response turns hostile, and becomes about us and blaming us for MMS's prgram errors, that's when I begin to wonder how this inability to recognize that harm and how that loyalty to MMS can cloud these girls basic human empathy and compassion.

I think sometimes it's as simple as force of habit. What happens in MMS if someone complains about how they or someone else is being treated? If it's a lot like other Synanon based programs, that critic would get confronted, lectured, berated and quite possibly punished. So when, even years later, you see someone complaining about MMS, don't you feel a little fearful? Do you not sense an undercurrent of fear behind some of the hostility?

Here's an example that I found hysterically funny. A former Straightling was talking about fear of druggieculture among program vets. He said he'd hooked up w/ another program vet, talked, hung out and renewed their friendship for some time. All was cool between them till, one day, the first guy pulled a tiny little bag of pot out of his pocket and offered to share. The other guy didn't just say "No thanks" or anything you would expect. He was terrified!; visibly shaken, panicked, even! The guy said his friend reacted asif he'd pulled a nuclear war head out of his pocket instead of a little bag of shwag.

I think a good many Program supporters suffer PTSD and simply don't know it. After awhile, you come to accept it as normal.

Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to pound in the correct screw.
--Bastard Administrator

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 05:50:00 PM »
Hey Ginger,

That's an interested story, I remember I felt that same fear about doing things the school said were wrong.  Actually not just scared, down right terrified, like you described.  Later I felt guilt.
Crazy!

kat
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2005, 06:28:00 PM »
I did too, I think. It was a long time ago, though, and I had split the place physically and mentally. So it was just sort of funny to me whenver I'd get that shit nearing fan feeling over something I knew was no big deal.

However, around 18 years later, I had not even noticed, far less corrected, my deep fear of program apologists. Looking back on some of the things I've said, damn was I an ass!

I also remember reading up on some of the early (like mid `90's) hemp or medical marijuana protests and events in NE and CE Florida and thinking "Damn! You can do that? You can say that? And not get locked up for it????"

It really opened my eyes.

The introduction of a Creator has done our independence no good.
--Gore Vidal, author

Straight, Sarasota
   10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
return undef() if /coercion/i;
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes