Author Topic: Questions for John Mercer  (Read 8796 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Questions for John Mercer
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2005, 07:15:00 PM »
Day 3

No answer from John yet.

I wrote John Mercer 2 times (and Colleen once).

First I ending from: MMS alumni, then from kat and alumni not equal to 100 for the purpose of clarity, in case he was confused that MMS alumni meant all alumni and to be sure he understoond not all alumni, only some alumni, were being represented in that e-mail.  Also put in Kat there so that he knew there was a person on the other end and not some random annonymous group, just in case that point bothered him and give him an excuse not to reply.

Still there's been no response to these questions, maybe I should call and ask him to check his e-mail just in case.  Think that'll get us some answers?  I'll probably call within the next few days if we dont hear from him by then.  Damn you, John- just give us some answers, that's all we ask.  I really can't see why this would pose a problem, can any of you?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2005, 07:33:00 PM »
lol- lighten up, think you're right.

I'm a little confused myself...

I say why not call him.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »
Kat,

:razz: you are so funny!  :???:

hahaha.ok ok..i'm a little crazy

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2005, 09:28:00 AM »
oh yeah by the way it's me "star"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2005, 12:02:00 PM »
DAY 4

still no responce from John Mercer.

kat you call or going to call?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2005, 12:03:00 PM »
Star-

ha ha ha LOL...!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2005, 12:07:00 PM »
Day 5

nuthin

i will be calling Mr Mercer today.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2005, 11:29:00 PM »
Let us know what he says!

Offline kerryberry420

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2005, 11:07:00 AM »
yeah i am with melissa.  really if you want answers you have to be calm, collected and mature about it.  we should use our names on stuff like that because maybe he will say stuff that was speicfic to individual people.  i dont know, this has just sooooo gone overboard.  everyone is fighting and stuff and that was not what i intended to happen at all.

Offline KatieH

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2005, 06:16:00 PM »
I'll tell you why he did not reply, those were not questions they were accusations. The text all by itself is so full of hatred and fear, no wonder he has not responded, I suggest putting the anger aside and really thinking about what kind of answers you want, and if John is the person who can give them too you.  Are you cuurently seeing a therepist?  Maybe someone with an impartial view can help you find some peace when it comes to this subject.  I can tell by the messages that there is a lot pf pain and anger there.  Although I question wether John and the staff at MMS are who you should be angry at.  By the way I am Katie Harrison ( Wintermute now as I am married)  I was at MMS in the early ninties.  I came with a shaved head, had to carry a backpack full of rocks around for my first month, and when I came home I left a book of poetry behind at the school, hopefully that will let some of you know who I am.  MMS was not a perfect experience, life is not a perfect experience, it is unreasonable to think that it will be.  I trully hope you find some peace and solace, if there is anything I can do to help you get there let me know.   Love to ALL my MMS sisters, wether you are happy with your experience or not, we share a bond, a special bond, and we should be here to support each other. I posted a new message called POsitive MMS experience, and I invite you all to read it and respond.  Lets try to help each other here insted of spreading around hate and malice.  LOve- Katie H
ny MMS alumni please contact me if you like, I am most interested in finding Kaiwyn and Annie, of the 90-94 era.  [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »
Katie, while I agree some of the questions were written more as accusations, some are actual questions based on things that actually happened. Asking someones qualifications is not an accusation, nor is asking about the inadequate schooling,because in my time there that certainly was a problem. I think that while some people may have lots of anger and fear, there are some people who saw things John did that were wrong, and just want to ask him about those things. That doesn't mean that it's a huge issue in their life, or that they need therapy about it. I think that in some cases here, people's anger at John is just that, anger at John. Not because he told them things they didn't want to hear, or because the truth hurts, but because he did things in their presence that they felt were inappropriate. It is unrealistic to expect any experience to be perfect, I agree. But it's not unrealistic to expect a certain level of proper behavior. A level that many feel John did not meet.

Melissa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2005, 11:51:00 PM »
I agree whole heartedly with what Melissa has so articulately expressed.  The bottom line is there were many who feel there were some things that are unacceptable.

To answer your quesion, Katie, no I currently do not see a therapist, but to the therapists I have  described MMS to have frequently raised their eyebrows at the descriptions of the methods of MMS.  The fear based change, the level of activity for the purpose of exposing emotions- rarely providing any clarity on issues that I struggled with, however I did, as you mention, feel damn good about that 50 mile bike ride, etc.  For me, however, that was almost beside the point...The critical stuff was negelcted or exacerbated.  Forced accountability seemed entirely contradictory and confused me- even at age 14, I recall feeling that the bs of clear ego stroking on the part of John and Mike was an insult to my intelligence! Especially with such things as fear based growth and development.  In my case, much of the recovery themes MMS promoted seemed oversimplified  and the superficial modes of 'therapy' unhelpful, to say the least- much felt ultimately hypocritical, that is, this false assumption of John's own virtue (self-promoted) is almost laughable to me if it weren't so tragic, IMHO-also considering freedom of thought and opinion was nonexistent, unless they coincided with their own doctrine is appaling.  Worse, I had to convince myself they were right, to a certain degree- for the sake of playing along and not having to do work crew!  

Ultimately, I am beginning to suspect MMS's  'sucess rate'-  in the sense of adults looking back on thier adolescent years and saying MMS was great and in actuality helped them theraputically heal from past struggles, seems ridiculous that studies have not been done on this topic!   Some would say, a life saver.  Others have drasticlly different views and, while there may be no reconciling that, the older I get and the better educated I become the more convinced I am that these points of negative and what some call abusive MMS methods are important and not to be dismissed - there's no reason the truth of what someone experienced should have to be silenced or sent to a therapist.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2005, 02:29:00 AM »
i agree with you melissa.
i agree with you too, michelle!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2005, 12:39:00 PM »
ditto (I agree with Melissa & Michelle)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2005, 08:22:00 PM »
SARAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hey! Its Julie...remember me? How is it going?