Author Topic: Peninsula Village  (Read 43895 times)

Offline stoodoodog

• View Profile
Whacky Therapy at Peninsula Village
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 04:29:11 PM »
That is not the only whacky therapy administered at PV.
Don't ask don't tell, don't tell don't ask... since 1986

I have been told that more than a few former administrators would prefer thier stint at PV not be mentioned on the CV.
Come to think of it, why should there be more than a few for an operation only in existence since 1986?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 05:59:11 PM »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 12:05:02 AM »
Another bizarre book by a program inmate, this time it's about PV. The book just got a negative review today, exposing this trash as an advertisement for a horribly abusive place.

How much you wanna bet Amazon doesn't allow that review to stay up there very long?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/custom ... e&n=283155

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Bad Girl, Bad Writer
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 01:33:27 AM »
Let's make sure everyone sees it:

An advertisement for an abusive facility that breaks kids and then puts them back together as brainwashed robots... as told by one of their so-called 'successes'. Shocking only in the way that the author seems to truly believe that being isolated from human contact, allowed no friends and no conversation, and spending most of the day sitting on her bed (not being allowed to talk or even look at things), truly helped her 'recover'.

They wouldn't allow my stepdaughter to have any books unless they were of a "spiritual" nature, so my wife sent her the Tao Te Ching.  Her daughter wasn't allowed to have it, of course, because it wasn't "Christian" spiritual. Grrrrr....

This Abigail Vona...can't write, she had the book ghost-written and got it published by...um.... whoredom, I guess.  Read about it here, straight from her former boyfriend, Doug Dechert.  He was 46, had publishing connections,  she was 18, had...um...whoredom, I guess.  Doug Dechert's  an egomaniacal simpleton as well, he thinks Abby was genuinely attracted to a wizened, dried-up scuz like himself.

http://www.scandalmonger.net/creation.htm

http://www.scandalmonger.net/bad_girl.htm

From Doug Dechert, ex-boyfriend of Abby Vona:  
Abby's theory boiled down to, "Since I'm having sex with you, you should be my agent for free." I refrained from pointing out to her the moral implications of that line of thought.

Again from Dechert:
Dechert calls his ex-girlfriend - who dumped him last month - "barely literate." He adds that she has "the heart of a mercenary and the soul of a hustler."

Sounds like the girl is a LYING MANIPULATOR, and damn, I thought Peninsula Village "modified" that kind of behavior.  Yet another PV failure.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 08:03:13 AM »
More likely PV created that type of behavior.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 08:55:12 AM »
To be fair to Vona it's not hard to argue that her less than angelic behaviour is a simple result of following the examples of the adults surrounding her.
Everyone in that debacle come sout looking pretty Shabby, at least you can put Vona's behaviour down to being a messed up kid.

I'll put off judgement until I've read her book.
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline stoodoodog

• View Profile
PV Tell All
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 11:15:42 AM »
Abigal has a MySpace...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... ID=7893279

I heard she is studying for her Professional Engineering License, so props to her! But I still want to know why her story gets shelved into True Crime at the bookstores...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 12:34:42 PM »
Probably because what happened to her at PV was genuinely criminal.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2006, 12:44:58 PM »
What a PV success story! Here's an excerpt from her next book, as posted on her myspace. I can see why she needs a ghost writer to polish up her grammar & spelling:

When I got home their they were, all three of them were at my house smoking pot with my brother. My brother Will had a big grin on his face while he watched me enter the drive way. He wasn't smiling because he was proud that I stole weed but because he now had something on me. Albonya, who miss interpreted his smile, yelled enthusiastically "I told your bother about how you stole the weed, it was amazing!" I new she wasn't trying to get me in trouble and was supporting me in a really dumb way but I still wanted to kill her. It was bad enough that I was left like I was, but this! My brother didn't have to threaten me I knew that this was the opportunity he was waiting for. It was the perfect situation for him to prove to him self and to my dad that I was still fucked up.
"Wait until dad hears" he said knowing that he had me, that I would do almost anything he wanted. There was two things to do. One would be to tell my dad and possible get sent back and the other was to shut up my brother. So I bribed him with the weed I stole.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2006, 05:09:42 PM »
Well I just want to put in my two cents because I've been to PV as a patient and I've worked there.

First off Abigail Vona is a joke and you should totally get that from reading her book. I did not work with her for the record.

The staff you are attacking are the ones who really love the kids. But I will agree that the program is not what it used to be. Alot of stuff has changed there and it isn't for the better. The program used to work. But it's not the staff. It is the clinical staff. Program counselors don't have to have degrees. But they are supposed to get guidance from the clinicians. It shouldn't really matter what the staff do on their own time. You can love bondage and still teach someone how to be a better person.

Since everyone is so busy checking out the staff on myspace check out some of the kids who are doing good. I will say that number has dropped but that's due to clinical guidance. Don't blame the staff. Most of them are great people who deal with ALOT in dealing with these kind of kids. Especially without clinical direction.

I won't try to convice you to keep your kid there or send your kid there - there is a reason I don't work there anymore.

But I will say - the two staff specifically you picked - are wonderful staff.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 08:06:53 PM »
The staff you are attacking are the ones who really love the kids. But I will agree that the program is not what it used to be. Alot of stuff has changed there and it isn't for the better. The program used to work. But it's not the staff. It is the clinical staff. Program counselors don't have to have degrees. But they are supposed to get guidance from the clinicians. It shouldn't really matter what the staff do on their own time. You can love bondage and still teach someone how to be a better person.

I don't give a damn what anyone does in their bedroom, or whatever fetishes they enjoy.  That's their private business, but to post B+D pix on a public site and identify yourself as a counselor at a teen RTC is NOT SMART.  To discuss financial concerns of the facility is NOT SMART, and obviously somebody else considered it wrong.  I've talked to former patients about the photographer, they liked her a lot.  No one's saying she's a bad person.  I think she shows questionable judgement, and as three psychiatrists have told me, the pictures aren't the issue, it's the fact she identified herself as a counseler at PV.  The psychiatrists agreed it was unethical and unprofessional.  I imagine any "good Christian" sorts would have second thoughts about placing their kids in PV if they were aware of blog sites like the ones so recently removed.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 08:19:52 PM »
I understand what you are saying. I can say from experience that you don't think the parents of these children are gonna come looking for me on myspace.

But yeah it's too bad she's the one being given a hard time. I worked with her for years and she's wonderful with the kids.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006, 08:45:02 PM »
Yeah, I know, but given the nature of these facilities, and the fact my stepdaughter is at PV and going through some horrible stuff, we went the extra mile looking for information on PV's staff, especially curriculum vitae.  We had to search for it because Peninsula Village will not give out any information on the staff involved with the kids day-to-day, so the facility can be blamed for making people dig deep.  I wasn't worried about the smiling faces of the administrative staff, although searching turned up some alarming details about the certifications and licenses of some VERY high-up types.  My stepdaughter was restrained by five counselors at PV, all of them sitting on her, right in front of my wife.  How do you think she felt seeing her daughter being brutally assaulted?  (I've read up on the Cornell TCI, and that is NOT what was used on the girl)  She took pictures to document abuse she knew was terribly wrong, criminally wrong, and for doing that she hasn't been allowed to see her daughter at all.  Both of them are traumatized.  I'm not picking out individuals to lay blame on, it's the ORGANIZATION that's evil, abusive, and criminal.  PV's slogan is 'Mending young lives and restoring families,".  What a farce.  Now I'm going back to working on getting custody of my stepdaughter and getting her OUT OF PV.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 09:05:51 PM »
I completely understand that. I know what it looks like. I do think it's great that you are doing so much research about where your step daughter is. I'm not coming on here trying to argue with anyone. I just wanted to put my two cents in cause that's what I always do.(gets me in trouble sometimes).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2006, 11:02:01 PM »
I understand the concerns that "zenagent" has, but I as well feel I need to put my 2 cents in...

I was a senior program couselor at PV for 2 years. While I do have a psychology degree, I gained my most valuable counseling techniques from other program counselors, mainly those who do not have mental health or social health degrees. One of the best counselors that PV had was one that you specifically criticized as having only a GED, and I think that many former patients would attest to that.

As far as treatment of the patients is concerned, the majority of the counselors that I worked with, and myself, were always primarily concerned with patients' safety and well-being. We as counselors, put ourselves through rigorous work everyday, that drained us both physically and emotionally, took a large toll on our personal lives outside of the Village, and all for reimbursement that was close to nothing. The ONLY reason that I stayed at a job for so long that put me in constant physical danger, and was so emotionally taxing, was because I cared such a great deal about the kids that I worked with. Those kids deserved something so much greater than what they were doing to themselves prior to admission, whether it was drug use, eating disorders, cutting, burning, or suicide attempts.

That said, I believe that the staff at PV who work with the kids on a day-to-day basis care a great deal for these kids, or else they would not be working there. There are hundreds of other jobs that we could take, and make considerably more money. Whatever feelings or opinions that you have about the specific treatment of patients should be addressed to the clinical staff, not taken out on the staff who devote their lives to helping these kids. Whatever a person does in his or her own time, is their business. I mean... who said a job has to be everything that a person is?