Author Topic: IVY Ridge - child abuse exposed  (Read 6731 times)

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
IVY Ridge - child abuse exposed
« on: May 16, 2005, 01:56:00 AM »
Watertown Daily Times

Web gives Ivy Ridge Net gains and losses
Complaints, praise follow school in cyberspace

Sunday, May 1, 2005
Section: Capital Albany
By Chris Garifo
Times Albany Correspondent

An important tool the Academy at Ivy Ridge in Ogdensburg has used to recruit students has in turn become a weapon its foes are using to try to close the behavioral modification program for troubled teens.

The Internet is sprinkled with sites where anguished parents of troubled teens can find programs such as Ivy Ridge, which serves 400 students.

Just as prominent, however, are sites filled with allegations of physical and emotional abuse, all created by former clients of Ivy Ridge and its support and programming organization, the Utah-based World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools, that are filled with allegations of physical and emotional abuse.

"The Internet, any time you're in a controversial business, is a double-edged sword," said Kenneth E. Kay, WWASPS president. "It can assist you in getting positive word out and in promotion. The problem is, it's unmonitored and anybody can send unsubstantiated allegations."

The allegations have brought Ivy Ridge inquiries from New York Attorney General Eliot L. Spitzer and the state Office of Children and Family Services, who are examining the school's academic and development programs.

On Web sites criticizing Ivy Ridge, the majority of allegations include:

* Staff punching students, throwing them to the floor or forcing them to remain sitting in excruciating pain without moving for hours on end.

* Depriving students of medical care.

* Providing students with an inadequate amount of food.

* Staff verbally berating students to force them into responding negatively, then severely punishing them no matter how slight the response.

* Staff refusing to let students use the bathroom to the point where the children would soil themselves.

Ivy Ridge Director Jason G. Finlinson said the allegations are false, but something he and his staff just have to deal with.

"That's part of the job," he said. "It's tough, but we do it and we do the best we can with what we do."

A change of heart

Negative information on the Internet caused one parent, Sally I. Winter, to pull her 17-year-old son, Christopher H. Harris, out of Ivy Ridge, where she and her ex-husband had sent him in the mistaken belief it was a drug rehabilitation center.

After her son's trouble with the law, a counselor advised Mrs. Winter to contact the Teen Help hot line, which also has a Web site with links to WWASPS-affiliated schools, including Ivy Ridge.

Teen Help recommended Ivy Ridge, she said.

"If you don't get him in this program, he will die within a week," Mrs. Winter said the person on the hotline told her.

After her husband took their son to Ivy Ridge, Mrs. Winter, who said she holds a master's degree in special education, began searching the Internet for more information about the school. That's where she found the complaints and allegations. She admitted she never had looked at Ivy Ridge's Web sites.

As a result, she traveled to Ogdensburg and demanded to see her son, who in March had written her that his roommate ran around their room and the halls naked, that two teens living in his "family" had oral sex and that Ivy Ridge staff would not let him see a dentist about his aching teeth.

Upon seeing her son, Mrs. Winter promptly removed him from Ivy Ridge.

Mr. Harris's removal April 5 was just one of a number of problems Ivy Ridge and WWASPS have had to deal with this year.

Reports of abuse at the school led to a visit in February by workers from the Office of Children and Family Services. The state attorney general's office at around the same time subpoenaed records from the school, purportedly to determine what kind of school it is and whether it improperly claimed to be a diploma-writing institution.

"We welcome people to visit the school. We want people to know what we do at Ivy Ridge," Mr. Finlinson said. "We've invited people for three years to visit, and all of a sudden they come in the same week. That's their prerogative."

As a result of the state attorney general's inquiry, the Boise, Idaho-based Northwest Association of Accredited Schools suspended Ivy Ridge's accreditation. Ivy Ridge's Web site now includes a statement that it is not accredited and that it is not "licensed, certified or registered in any way with the New York State Department of Education."

The site also says that Ivy Ridge is working with the state Education Department to get permission to offer state-approved diplomas. Until the attorney general's office inquiry, the site had said Ivy Ridge offered general and college prep diplomas.

Another WWASPS-affiliated school, Majestic Ranch in northern Utah, is being sued in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City by a California mother accusing the boarding school of physically and emotionally abusing her son while he was a student there.

On April 20, Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., introduced the "End Institutional Abuse Against Children Act," whose provisions include the establishment of federal civil and criminal penalties for abusing children in residential treatment programs, and expanded federal regulatory authority over programs operated overseas by U.S. companies. A WWASPS-affiliated school is located in Jamaica, and WWASPS-associated schools in Mexico, Costa Rica and the Czech Republic reportedly were closed down by those governments because of allegations of physical abuse, a claim Mr. Kay denies.

As a result of allegations against WWASPS schools, Mr. Miller last year wrote a letter to then-U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft asking for a federal investigation of WWASPS and its affiliated schools. Mr. Ashcroft rejected the request, claiming his department lacked jurisdiction.

Organized opposition

Almost since the day it opened in January 2002, the school on Route 37 and its staff have faced allegations that it or WWASPS have mentally and physically abused children in their care.

"They're not true," Mr. Finlinson said of the allegations. "We have schoolteachers, we have professional therapists who work at the school, there are nurses, and part of their responsibilities are to report abuse if they see it."

The allegations are more than just a result of a few unhappy parents or disgruntled former students, Mr. Finlinson said.

"I definitely believe there is an organized effort to discredit the school," he said.

Mr. Finlinson blames most of Ivy Ridge's problems on Susan L. Scheff, founder and president of Parents Universal Resources Experts, an organization that helps parents find appropriate programs for their troubled children.

"I've never met the lady," Mr. Finlinson said. "I think she's a competitor and she wants our business, so the way to take our business is to make us look as bad as she can."

Ms. Scheff denies the charge.

"To be a competitor I'd have to own programs," she said. "Am I competing with them? No. Am I trying to put them out of business for that? No."

Ms. Scheff, originally from Pleasant Valley but now living in Florida, said that she was a follower of WWASPS, even enrolling her daughter in one of the schools that uses its program, Carolina Springs Academy near Abbeville, S.C. She said she believed WWASPS and its associated schools were a perfect opportunity to help her troubled child.

"WWASPS is all over," she said. "You do an Internet search and they're everywhere, in different colors or different schemes."

After attending a few required parental seminars, Ms. Scheff realized she may have made a mistake and, shortly afterward, withdrew her daughter from Carolina Springs. The girl eventually began making allegations about abuses at the school.

As a result, Ms. Scheff decided to provide parents a source of information about alternative programs for their children and about programs and schools to avoid, especially WWASPS and its affiliated schools.

WWASPS sued her for defamation and other claims in federal District Court in Salt Lake City, but a 12-person jury rejected those claims.

"I'm the scapegoat for them to hide behind while they abuse children," Ms. Scheff said. "They put so much power into me and I don't know why. I'm just trying to create parent awareness."

Ms. Scheff says there are too many former students accusing WWASPS of abuse to ignore the claims.

"It's not just one child," she said. "It's the consistency that WWASPS has. They've all been at different WWASPS programs at different times, but they still have the same stories."

A litany of allegations

Former students, many of whom have been in contact with anti-WWASPS Web sites and have put at least some of their experiences on the Internet, provide eerily similar descriptions of students who are constantly berated, screamed at, ill-fed, choked and thrown to the ground as part of the institution's behavior modification program, even though girls and boys routinely are kept separate and many of the students have never met.

Marc F. Shea, 18, Winchester, Mass., who spent seven months at Ivy Ridge and admits the program did get him to change his way of life, said more students have been harmed than helped by the school.

"A lot turn out worse than they did before," he said. "You have 13- or 14-year-old kids there who would play too many video games, and run into me, who did drugs and stuff."

Mr. Shea said he saw several children who were physically restrained by staff members and forced to the floor, for the slightest rule infractions.

"People think it's like a prep school; it's not," he said. "If you went around Ivy Ridge and asked kids if they'd rather be in jail, I bet 90 to 95 percent would rather have been in jail. At least you can read newspapers or see your family or talk on the phone."

Another punishment occurred in what was once called "worksheets" but is now referred to as study hall, Mr. Shea said.

Students are forced to sit upright in a straight-backed chair - feet together, knees a fist's width apart and back held 3 inches from the back of the chair - for hours, depending on the severity of the infraction, Mr. Shea said.

"You would just sit in this room all day long, in structure for hours and hours," he said.

Students didn't get enough food and often would try to steal food from each other, Mr. Shea said.

Nathan Lovelady, whose mother pulled him out of Ivy Ridge, said in a written statement that he was physically restrained his first day at Ivy Ridge. His infraction: He flinched while being given a haircut.

Students often were refused bathroom privileges, causing many to soil themselves, Mr. Lovelady said.

"Dozens of times I witnessed staff members denying students use of the bathroom, and abusing students (including me) that included punching students in the testicles, punching students in the chest, and restraining students for no apparent reason whatsoever," he wrote.

Mr. Lovelady said he saw staff members and upper-level students, who have more authority and benefits than incoming students, slam other children's faces into the walls.

"Nobody should ever have to suffer that," he said.

Mr. Lovelady's mother, Regina L. Bollman, said she had her first inkling that she might have made a mistake when she dropped her son off at Ivy Ridge and saw the staff.

"They had Tasers hooked onto their belts," she said in a telephone interview.

Ms. Bollman began checking Ivy Ridge's Internet bulletin board to find out how other parents felt.

"A lot of people were feeling the same way and convincing themselves that it was the best thing and their child otherwise would be dead," she said. "A lot of them, their kids had worse troubles than Nathan, like drugs or living out on the street. Nathan wasn't a street kid."

Over time, her concerns grew to the point that she decided to remove her son from the school, driving nine hours from her Detroit home to get the boy. The final straw was when, after he had been there three weeks, she called Ivy Ridge to talk to him but was told that the teen had lost all of his accrued points, which are needed to move forward in the program and get any privileges, because he had been caught masturbating.

"I hung up the phone and said, 'you know what, they obviously have no privacy there and that's just weird,'" Ms. Bollman said. "It's normal for a teenager to do that."

The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.
-- Patrick Henry

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 01:55:00 PM »
Hopefully this program will be closed by authorities soon. Everyone needs to write letters to those who are investigating this. It worked with Kemper - it can work here. Now is your chance - it may not come again.  Write to the local papers - because the press can be your friend.  They usually take the side of the underdog.  When you write a letter - include all identifying information and keep the letter less than 250 words.  Often a reporter will call after they get a letter.  

Just because you do not take an interest in politics, doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684863952/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> PERICLES (430 BC)

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 01:58:00 PM »
http://www.wdt.net/services/letter.asp

These letters can help the authorities make a decision.  If you or your loved one suffered at IVY ridge - please write now - it will help them make a decision.  Obvioulsy the press is on this one.  It's hot news.  

Infidel: In New York, one who does not believe in the Christian religion, in Constantinople, one who does.
--Ambrose Bierce

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 12:44:00 PM »
I agree 100% that from all I have read, and that after the riot at Ivy Ridge that this school needs to be investigated immediately--and that the Director Mr. Jason Finlinson needs to be held accountable for any student who has been abuse in any manner.

I also want to address Ms. Sue Scheff of P.U.R.E self-serving remarks.  Ms. Scheff placed our daughter at Whitmore Academy. The owners Mark and Cheryl Sudweeks are currently being investigated for child abuse, sexual child abuse and fraud. Ms. Scheff states that she created P.U.R.E to "provide parents a source of information about alternative programs," and says "I just try to create parent awareness."  Ms. Scheff fails to mention that she also STATES to parents that her goal is to MAKE SURE THAT NO ONE SENDS A CHILD TO A WWASP PROGRAM...and Ms. Scheff also FAILS TO STATE that she charges NICE referral fees for each placement of a child. Ms. Scheff has built herself a great money-making business off the referral of children in the teen help industry. AND she referred our daughter into an abusive school, and once she was aware these owners were being investigated for child abuse---she continued to refer children to Whitmore, and attacked ME, the mother of an abused child for daring to criticize HER for continuing to place children at this school during the on-going investigation. As Ms. Scheff states here: "It is not just one child...(several) have the same stories" of abuse by the Sudweeks---and Ms. Scheff chooses to ignore that these children accusing the Sudweeks of abuse were placed at the Whitmore by her and P.U.R.E.

I am in the EXACT SAME POSITION as Ms. Scheff: When I discovered that my daughter was in an abusive situation---I removed her. And just like Ms. Scheff criticized HER REFERRING AGENCY...I have the right to criticize MINE...which is her and P.U.R.E.  I do believe Ms. Scheff won a lawsuit against WWASP which guarantees the right of free speech, as long a one is speaking the truth.

I am certain that Ms. Scheff's efforts to help parents whose children are alleging abuse at Ivy Ridge is admirable---but one would think she would put forth this same EFORT for the parents that SHE REFERRED to Whitmore Academy---wouldn't that possibly be the RIGHT thing for this advocate of children to do?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 09:12:00 AM »
If the post by J. Harris is correct, is Sue Scheff just asking for WWASP to hire an appeals attorney to retry to WWASP vs PURE case? How can Scheff say this mother lacks the same rights she (Scheff)claims for herself?