Author Topic: Article Marketing Aspen Education Group  (Read 9252 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Article Marketing Aspen Education Group
« on: May 11, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »
How is Aspen Education Group Different from WWASPS besides them paying educational consultants and are much larger?

Article: How to Save Your Teen
Seclusion at therapeutic boarding schools unlocks hope for troubled kids
08:30 AM CDT on Wednesday, May 11, 2005
By DAVID TARRANT / The Dallas Morning News

Michelle had become angry and moody.

The 17-year-old, the middle of three children, had been a happy child in grade school, making good grades and having lots of friends.

But in junior high school, her troubles began. She attracted boys; her popularity with girls plummeted and so did her grades.

Also Online

A nightlong search, from 830 miles away

Education writer's book puts one school under microscope

If you need help for your child, here's what you need to know
Then the lies began. She'd lie about her whereabouts, lie about who she was with, says her mother, a Dallas resident, who requested anonymity to protect her daughter's identity. (Michelle is not her daughter's first name.)

Michelle's parents tried to do the right thing. They grounded their daughter. "Everything she did had consequences," her mother says.

"She'd say, 'You don't trust me,' " her mother says. "And we'd say, 'I'm sorry. We love you, but we can't trust you.' "

Michelle skipped school with her best friend and two boys. Although she came back that evening, she immediately ran away that night.

That's when Michelle's parents decided she needed a more structured environment.

Parents, such as Michelle's, are increasingly turning to a growing number of last-resort schools, called therapeutic boarding schools.

Such places offer more than just a private school education. As their name implies, therapeutic boarding schools also are intensive treatment centers, which focus on teenagers with emotional and learning problems.

"The whole field is growing in leaps and bounds," says Rhea Wolfram, a certified educational consultant in Dallas. "You're making an investment in the emotional life of a child."

It's an expensive investment. Therapeutic boarding schools range from $4,500 to $9,000 ? a month.

That price typically includes a customized plan with intensive individual and group therapy. The academic program usually includes workshops on personal responsibility, anger management and other life skills. Most therapeutic boarding schools offer 9- to 18-month programs and year-round admissions.

The results can pay long-term dividends, Ms. Wolfram says. "You're letting a child find out who he is. Kids learn to become invested in themselves and their self-worth."

Therapeutic boarding schools had been a rare option since the late '60s. In 1999, the shootings at Columbine High School, the deadliest school crime in U.S. history, put a spotlight on the pitfalls of adolescence.

Ten years ago, there were only about 40 private schools nationwide aimed at troubled teens. The year after Columbine, the number soared to 250. Today it's closer to 500.

"We've seen an incredibly explosive growth," says Mark Sklarow, executive director of the national Independent Education Consultants Association, in suburban Washington, D.C. Educational consultants are independent advisers, who are hired by parents to help them find the right match of schools or programs for their children's needs and talents.

An elusive solution
Still, the schools are not top of mind with many public-school guidance counselors or therapists in private practice. Parents often don't learn about them until their child needs immediate help.

Michelle's mother says her daughter's safety was the deciding factor. "You're definitely deciding you want to save your kid," says the mother, who also requested that she not be identified.

A second factor was concern about her other children. "Our household was a screaming, yelling nightmare. The other kids were being affected."

A friend of her husband, who had a daughter in a therapeutic boarding school, recommended an educational consultant, who helped the parents choose a school in the Southeast.

"At least we knew she was in a safe place, and the school ? I think it was wonderful," she says.

Already shaken by their child's poor choices, parents face the reality that they might make a poor choice as they try to navigate the options for these types of schools.

"Unfortunately, parents that start looking into this are often desperate," says Mr. Sklarow, the spokesman for the educational consultants' association. "They feel, 'If I don't get this done in a week, I may lose my kid from drugs or violence or whatever,' " he said.

"There are so many different models for doing this that getting the child into the one that's right for them is the most important part of this."

One reason there are so many types of schools is because there are so many types of troubled teenagers: from a boy who turns to beer and pot to block his discovery of Dad having an affair, to a girl who engages in food-binging and truancy to deal with a sexual assault by a classmate.

Many of these teens have histories of learning disorders, low self-esteem and academic underachievement that contribute to their self-destructive behavior.

They usually have run the gamut of school counselors, and perhaps individual or family therapy. They may have been in court-ordered drug and alcohol-recovery programs.

"These kids are not oddballs and freaks," says David L. Marcus, author of a new book: What It Takes to Pull Me Through: Why Teenagers Get in Trouble and How Four of Them Got Out (Houghton Mifflin, $25).

"Every kid sits in classes with someone who is struggling with depression or an eating disorder. Every high school, whether in a city or a town, has kids who are struggling emotionally."

How the schools work
Therapeutic schools allow these students to move out of their normal environment, which has become problematic, and into one that offers, first and foremost, the three S's: safety, stability and structure.

There is often a wilderness component, where students learn what's expected of them, and how their actions affect the group and not just themselves.

Although the days are highly structured, there are usually opportunities to explore spiritual development, as well as sports, fine arts and other social activities.

Each school has a different specialty or emphasis, different levels of freedom, of counseling options.

Some are wilderness programs; others are based on reward-and-punishment models or on the 12-step program.

The goal is to replace the negative influences of a teenager's old peer group with what therapists describe as a "positive peer culture."

"It's more than just teaching woodmanship," says Mark Hobbins, senior vice president of Aspen Education Group, which operates 30 programs for troubled, underachieving youth in 11 states, including two in Texas.

"It gets them in touch with their self-worth and potential," Mr. Hobbins says. "Once you have that sense of value of yourself, you want it again."

As for Michelle, she spent 12 months at the boarding school and is now living back home. She was accepted at three colleges but hasn't decided where to go yet.

Her anger has greatly decreased, her mother says.

"She's not out of the woods yet, and she's going to have to continue working on her decision-making skills," she says.

The entire family, including the other two children, have been participating in counseling since Michelle came home. Part of that is learning to accept her for who she is.

"We're seeing some good things and some things we wish would change," Michelle's mother says. "But it's a whole lot better than it was."

Michelle is more appreciative of her parents' values, including education. "The importance of it went way up. Her family values increased 500 percent," her mother says. "Even though she said she hated her home, she really learned to appreciate her family."

E-mail http://tinyurl.com/ywp8oe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 05:24:00 PM »
Article:

If you need help for your child, here's what you need to know
03:58 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 10, 2005
From Staff Reports

Here is advice from educators, psychologists and parents.

Don't go it alone, especially if time is running out. The Internet brings up many programs, but the information can be hard to evaluate. There are more than a dozen types of emotional-growth services, ranging from boot camps to boarding schools.

There are programs out there that call themselves emotional-growth programs, and they're not, says Mike Conner, a psychologist and certified education planner, based in Oregon. "There's only one way to know: retain the services of a qualified educational consultant."

Work with a certified educational planner. These consultants, who straddle the psychological and educational professions, provide parents and students with counseling, evaluation and, if necessary, help in finding residential treatment centers, wilderness therapy programs or boarding schools. Check the Web sites listed.

Long-term treatment (9 to 18 months): Typically, teenagers get referred to a residential program after displaying self-destructive or violent behavior, a run-in with the law or contemplated or attempted suicide. Such programs usually are for ages 14 to 18.

Short-term options range from monthlong intensive, psychiatric in-patient programs to three-week wilderness camps.

The behavior problems may be caused by drugs, depression or some other mental disorder. Or counselors might uncover a learning disorder that is causing stress and behavior problems.

"You can use a short-term program as an assessment tool to find out what issues the child has," says Lon Woodbury, an educational consultant in Bonners Ferry, ID.

WHERE TO LOOK
?  http://www.strugglingteens.com. The Web site, which is sponsored by Mr. Woodbury's company, provides information, news and resources on therapeutic schools and programs.

?  http://www.natsap.org. The Web site of the National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs lists 115 therapeutic schools.

?  http://www.iecaonline.com. The Web site lists the Independent Educational Consultants Association directory.

IN TEXAS
The NATSAP directory lists a half-dozen programs in Texas. These include:

?  http://www.aspeneducations.org. Aspen Education  is the nation's largest company serving troubled teens. Headquartered in southern California, Aspen operates 30 programs in 11 states, including two near Houston: Lone Star Expeditions, a wilderness therapy program and Excel Academy, a boarding school for boys and girls 13 to 18.

?  http://www.meridell.com. The Meridell Achievement Center, is a short-term residential treatment center about 35 miles north of Austin. The center specializes in intensive psychological testing and psychiatric evaluations.

Note: States differ on the rules and regulations that govern therapeutic boarding schools, including the age at which children can discharge themselves without parental permission. These rules may also vary depending on the type of program, from residential treatment centers to outdoor education programs. Parents should ask school officials and their educational consultant for more information about the appropriate state regulations.

http://tinyurl.com/2gd5u6

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 10:15:00 PM »
I don't get it.  An article that writes  about a WWASPS program gets jumped on, but an article about Aspen gets in the news and no one responds???  Leads me to think that Ed Cons get paid for referring to Aspen and are on this board.  Don't bite the hand that feeds.  There programs aren't even as good as WWASPS or offer as much from my personal experience, so what's up??  What about you others?   :???:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »
You really don't get it? Let me explain it to you. WWASP has been drawing a whole lot of attention for a very long time; more or less since inception in the late `90's.

So a lot of people are familiar with their history; brand recognition is a double edged sword.

Aspen comes up from time to time, but I don't know that they're into anything as outrageous as the stories of Pepper Spray Jay and such. But I just haven't heard that much about Aspen.

Here's one story:
http://www.heal-online.org/aspenachieve.htm

Makes me wonder which school this person landed up in and if it's a pattern. I certainly appreciate your posting the info and hope it'll draw interest from people w/ more info.

Religion is just mind control.
--George Carlin, comedian

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 10:34:00 AM »
"The behavior problems may be caused by drugs, depression or some other mental disorder. Or counselors might uncover a learning disorder that is causing stress and behavior problems."

Should be added:

...OR BY SELFISH, DISFUNCTIONAL PARENTS, WHO FIND IT MORE CONVENIENT TO BLAME A CHILD FOR THE FAMILY CHAOS, THAN TO SEEK HELP FOR THEIR OWN PROBLEMS.

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 12:51:00 PM »
I lied to my parents all the time about where I was going to be.  So did just about every teenager I knew.  I was just smart enough to never get caught in most of those lies.  I only got caught a very, very, very few times.

I went to a nationally ranked college, graduated with a 2.9 GPA (the average for students graduating in my major was 2.7), supported myself, ended up with a good job until I was married and had a daughter and we decided we could afford for me to be a stay-home mom.

Program advocates on here don't like my religion or my social skills, but I'm not a drunk, I don't take illegal drugs, I'm obviously not dead, and I've never been in jail.

I have a single drink, something between half a dozen and a dozen times a year.

I'm 38 and a productive member of the community.  What the program folks don't like is mostly that I actually have some individuality and don't follow their cookie-cutter script for what *they*, control freaks that they are, want their children to be.

I had sex, I drank underage, I was mentally ill and suicidal, and I got bad grades.

Grounding and whatever else my parents tried didn't stop me either.  I was going to do what I was going to do.  It just made me mistrustful of my parents and more careful than ever about not getting caught.

I'm fine.

My sister did the same, but she drank to the point of a problem, she smoked pot, once she got so trashed at a party that she stayed out overnight, she got medium-bad grades, screwed around with multiple guys (sequential, not cheating).  She was a real party girl.  And she lied to our parents about it all the time.

She took speed a few times in college.

She's 44, married with 2 kids, sober without support groups, doesn't drug, pays her taxes, has a decent job, graduated college with an associates degree (she's always had fantastic sales talents, so she didn't need a lot of higher education for a good career), attends her Christian fundamentalist church with the whole family every time the doors are open.

And other than coping successfully with an eating disorder, she's never had a problem with mental illness--lucky her.

Not dead.  Never been to jail other than overnight for a single DUI, no crash, years ago--it's what motivated her to sober up.  Not cold turkey, but with responsible moderation.  Now she's a teetotaler, but we were raised that way.

She's fine.

We're *typical* of people who were like us as teens.  We simply grew up.

We did some worse things that I'm just not comfortable listing.  We grew up.

The lying, the drinking, the screwing around, the occasional casual drug use, the dropping grades, the fights with parents, the anger and occasional destructive rages, the mood swings---all of that is normal teenage misbehavior.  

Those aren't troubled teens, those are teens who aren't as good as their peers at not getting caught.

Kids with mental illnesses or learning disabilities on top of all that normal teenage misbehavior aren't troubled teens, either.  They're just teens with mental illnesses or learning disabilities that need to be treated or accommodated.

Troubled teens are teens that are habitual truants; physically addicted to hard drugs so that they regularly flunk drug tests showing same (not merely showing marijuana use); teens that commit vandalism serious enough that it's reasonable when they're prosecuted; teens that actually start fights with smaller or weaker kids and injure them--more than once; teens that steal from other-than-parents by shoplifting more than once, or by breaking and entering; teens that get busted for driving drunk when they really were or teens that the parents catch driving drunk more than twice or riding with a drunk driver more than three times; teens that rape or kill; teens that torture animals; teens that have or play with illicit guns or explosives other than fireworks or an over-enthusiastic interest in chemistry; kids that are dealing hard drugs or dealing soft drugs other than sharing with their immediate friends; sneaking out at night more than about half a dozen times; physically addicted to alcohol to the point of getting the DTs without it; in the hospital more than once to get his/her stomach pumped; or running away from home more than twice where the teen is not running to a friend, relative, or boyfriend's house, or some independent rental roof over their head, but is genuinely running to the street.

That's what a troubled teen is.  That's the behavior that genuinely risks dead or in jail.

And even so most of the time the answer is one parent staying home to provide close supervision, or where the teen has a single parent, moving to the same town as a relative like a grandparent who can provide close supervision until the parent gets home from work.

All the other stuff is unacceptable, horrible behavior that the teen will outgrow and grow up from.  And probably nothing the parent tries will work to "stop" it.  The most you can reasonably do with a teen's unacceptable behavior is keep it down to a dull roar until they outgrow it.

I "get" that many parents would rather incarcerate their teen in a strict program than put up with the fact that nothing less is going to "stop" horrible but common teen misbehavior rather than keep it down to a dull roar.

But since most teens outgrow that stuff and outrageous rebellion and lots of totally unacceptable behavior and getting in lots of trouble over and over again is within the range of normal stuff that won't last beyond the teen years, I absolutely believe parents should not be *allowed* to incarcerate a teen for those things.

Timoclea

Every man has a property in his own person.
This nobody has any right to but himself.
The labor of his body and the work of his
 hands are properly his.

--John Locke

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 02:48:00 PM »
Timoclea,
I absolutely agree with what you said. My kids were "normally horrible" teens, who about drove me crazy. Somehow they all managed to survive just fine without any program but me. None ended up addicts, criminals, deadorinjail. Now that they are responsible adults, no one would believe what beasts they were as teens!

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »
I'd suggest writing letters to the editor of the paper that printed this hogwash.  Both sides of this issue need to be out there because most people are not aware of the down side and the fact that most programs are just in it for the money.

For myself, I do not believe in any revelation. As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities.
--Charles Robert Darwin, English naturalist

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 05:04:00 PM »
Copper Canyon Academy is one of the Aspen Education Group -

http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.ph ... &forum=9&8

However - I'm so happy to see that at least one newspaper is printing a positive story about troubled teen boarding schools.  Aspen Education Group oversees  schools, just like WWASPS oversees schools.  Each school is more than likely independently owned.  

The one thing that was a red flag for me in the newspaper article is that the family stays in contact with the therapists after they leave any of those 30 schools.  Therapy for me says that something is still broken or still needs to be dealt with. By the time a graduate of, say cross creek, graduates, those issues have been dealt with, both the kids and the family.  

WWASPS offers transition family coaching so when the family is back together they work on
communication and goals and values.   I know there are some instances where therapy is still necessary, but does Aspen offer the coaching which is crucial, in my opinion?  I can't imagine having gone through a program and not have this option for a few months.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 14:04:00, Dolphin wrote:

"Copper Canyon Academy is one of the Aspen Education Group -

http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.ph ... &forum=9&8

However - I'm so happy to see that at least one newspaper is printing a positive story about troubled teen boarding schools.  Aspen Education Group oversees  schools, just like WWASPS oversees schools.  Each school is more than likely independently owned.  

The one thing that was a red flag for me in the newspaper article is that the family stays in contact with the therapists after they leave any of those 30 schools.  Therapy for me says that something is still broken or still needs to be dealt with. By the time a graduate of, say cross creek, graduates, those issues have been dealt with, both the kids and the family.  

WWASPS offers transition family coaching so when the family is back together they work on

communication and goals and values.   I know there are some instances where therapy is still necessary, but does Aspen offer the coaching which is crucial, in my opinion?  I can't imagine having gone through a program and not have this option for a few months. "

WWASP offers brainwashing, abuse, and destruction. You keep on trying to recruit new devotees here, don't you? "Coaching" is known by most legitimate therapsits to be pure crap, just like WWASP's techniques, which have nothing to do with helping people work out their issues, and everything to do with mind control.

Shame on you for promoting this cult.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 10:15:00 PM »
Anon, this is the bitch that chewed me out for consentual kinky sex with my GF... while she advocates their damn seminars!

Talk about rose colored glasses.

It is criminal to steal a purse. It is daring to steal a fortune. It is a mark of greatness to steal a crown. The blame diminishes as the guilt increases

--Schiller (1759-1805)

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 01:03:00 PM »
How is Aspen different?
They have the support of Dr Phil... who prefers the more covertly abusive programs.

Aspen Education Group's Therapeutic Programs Featured on 'Dr. Phil'
Friday May 6, 12:14 pm ET  
Aspen Ranch and SUWS of the Carolinas Get 'Thumbs Up' From Dr. Phil

CERRITOS, Calif., May 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Aspen Education Group's Aspen Ranch, a Utah-based residential treatment center for teens, and SUWS of the Carolinas, a North Carolina-based outdoor behavioral healthcare program, were featured on a May 5, 2005, segment of the nationally syndicated "Dr. Phil" show. Aspen Education Group is the nation's leading provider of education programs that improve the quality of life for underachieving children, young adults and their families.

The segment followed up on the progress of a student that Dr. Phil referred to Aspen's SUWS of the Carolinas program in December 2004. After a successful experience there, the student chose to continue his learning and growth experience at Aspen Ranch. Dr. Phil featured video clips from both facilities as well as an interview with the student's mother, Jennifer Sinclair of Ontario, Canada.

"For many, many months I saw my son spiraling downward and felt he needed some kind of intervention," said Sinclair. "With the help of Dr. Phil, that intervention happened; and we admitted my son first to a wilderness therapy program called SUWS of the Carolinas, where he was removed from all the bad influences and distractions in his life and participated in individual and group therapy. After 91 days he was sober, reflective and ready to go on to Aspen Ranch for more growth opportunities. SUWS of the Carolinas saved my child's life, and Aspen Ranch is now nurturing his self-confidence as a young man and a leader."

"Dr. Phil has been a tremendous influence on parents and youths and has been particularly instrumental in helping families discover new hope through the life-changing experiences offered by the therapeutic education industry and programs such as Aspen's," said Elliot Sainer, chief executive officer of Aspen Education Group. "We're very pleased that Dr. Phil has featured several Aspen programs over the past year, and believe this is a testament not only to the kind of quality programs Aspen offers, but to the important role our industry plays in saving families and changing lives. The ability to share these kinds of stories on a program that reaches millions of people allows us to bring hope into the lives of many families needing assistance."

Aspen Ranch is a licensed residential treatment center for troubled teens between the ages of 13 and 17 who need an opportunity to make positive changes in their lives and overcome feelings of low self-esteem and anger due to academic underachievement, substance abuse or family conflict. Aspen Ranch is noted for its unique equine therapy program that allows students to learn empathy, improve communication and enhance self-confidence and self-worth through their experience with the animal.

SUWS of the Carolinas is a licensed treatment program for students 11 to 17 years of age who are suffering from low self-esteem, family conflict, substance use, defiance issues, attention deficit disorder, and other emotional and behavioral problems. SUWS of the Carolinas utilizes outdoor experiences and peer interaction in combination with individual and family therapy to help positively change the lives of young people who are experiencing difficulties at home or in school.

As the nation's largest and most comprehensive network of therapeutic schools and programs, Aspen Education Group offers families and professionals the opportunity to choose a setting that best meets a student's unique academic and emotional needs. An industry innovator, Aspen was voted among the top education companies by Eduventures, the leading independent education industry research firm. In addition to being featured on "Dr. Phil," Aspen's programs have been profiled by major news and television organizations, including: U.S. News & World Report, USA Today, and ABC's "Good Morning America." For over two decades, Aspen Education Group has been achieving successful outcomes for families. For information, visit http://www.aspeneducation.com, or call (888) 972-7736. For information about Aspen Ranch, visit http://www.aspenranch.com, or call (877) 231-0734. For information about SUWS of the Carolinas, visit http://www.suwscarolinas.com, or call (888) 828-9770.

-----------------------------------------------
Source: Aspen Education Group
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050506/laf036.html?.v=7
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 08:34:00 PM »
I wonder if it's time (past?) to set up an Aspen forum?

I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.
--Albert Einstein, German-born American physicist

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2005, 11:51:00 PM »
On 2005-05-12 19:15:00, Nihilanthic wrote:

"Anon, this is the bitch that chewed me out for consentual kinky sex with my GF... while she advocates their damn seminars!

Talk about rose colored glasses.

It is criminal to steal a purse. It is daring to steal a fortune. It is a mark of greatness to steal a crown. The blame diminishes as the guilt increases

--Schiller (1759-1805)

"

Geez, Niles, it was that good that someone you've never met feels the need to bitch about it?

Well, hooah for you! :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:

By the year 2000, we will, I hope, raise our children to believe in human potential, not God.
--Gloria Steinam, women's rights activist