Author Topic: Bad Care: Not just a teen problem  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Bad Care: Not just a teen problem
« on: October 30, 2004, 11:01:00 AM »
http://www.dodgeglobe.com/stories/10290 ... 4037.shtml

Abusive RTC for adults shut down, owners facing charges.

Can you imagine if the patients had been teens?  We would be being told that they were all a pack of manipulative liars.

Timoclea
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »
I posted this in another thread yesterday and had the same thoughts.
There are some sick puppies in the world. The primary reason I wouldn't think of turning a loved one over to strangers for 'treatment'. Much less a minor.
And as we see over and over, 'credentials' do not guarantee safety in residential facilities or appropriate 'treatment'.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 01:01:00 PM »
Again we're on the same page. :smile:  Watch out, this is getting to be a habit. :smile: :smile: :smile:

This kind of thing is why I tell people what I want is Roses.  Reform, Oversight, Safeguards, Enforcement, and Sunshine.

Credentials absolutely are *not* enough.  The fox cannot be left to guard the henhouse without getting horrible, predictable results.

If I had a loved one who was in such danger, or was such a danger to others, that he just *had* to be committed, you'd better believe I'd want the facility licensed and inspected and the treatments tested for safety and effectiveness just like the FDA tests drugs.  I'd want a second opinion to make sure commitment really was necessary and to help monitor for how long it was necessary.  I'd want to know the rules protecting my family member had some teeth--teeth that would be used if those rules weren't followed.  And I'd want full open access to keep an eye on how my loved one was being cared for in that facility to make sure there was no bad stuff happening in the dark corners.

And short of dire, immediate danger to my loved one or others, I wouldn't risk it even then.

Timoclea

Offline granny19

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 10:30:00 AM »
Does anyone out there have information on Mission Mountain in Montana, or the owner/headmaster, John Mercer?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 01:43:00 PM »
See what you think.

http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... sit02.html
Physical activity in and of itself and as a metaphor is used effectively throughout the program. Residents ?get it? at the school, how every act they do effects the GROUP and this gets translated into regular GROUP CONSEQUENCES...In the extreme if there is the sense (by staff and/or students) that the COMMUNITY IS IN TROUBLE.. (i.e. people are not doing their work, being open, etc.) The WHOLE GROUP will go on an ?intervention.? Interventions translates into packing up, going to the woods, camping out no matter what the season, doing intense physical exercise and groups until things are worked out. The THEORY is that the folks that are doing their work will do well with the physical challenge, in fact enjoy it, and the ones that aren?t will be miserable and will be MOTIVATED/FORCED to get on with their issues. One of these occurred during graduation... John states this is evidence that these moves indicate to the kids that the staff will do what it takes to keep residents safe.

Our students? needs would likely go unmet in the larger programs that focus on behavior management and compliance. These programs are based on a level system where student graduation is contingent upon completion of a series of emotional and behavioral tasks. INDIVIDUALIZED ATTENTION to the student?s unique problems and process of individuation can be lost to the emphasis on having the students achieve the desired ?level? behaviors. As a result students may learn how to COMPLY AND "WORK THE SYSTEM", rather than address or solve their real problems.

[While I totally concur with his opinion on 'levels' programs, his comments about 'individuation' seem to be in conflict with the description given about 'group consequences'.]

We have found that much of this work is best done in the context of a family adventure or activity. Hence, families are encouraged to come and participate in our high quality recreation activities with the students... or to simply come and experience the beauty of Montana at our Double Diamond Ranch Facility.
[Sounds like a promo for a sideline business- providing accomodations for parents?]
http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... ews03.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 06:42:00 PM »
I agree that good care for anyone is hard to find.There are also problems with hospitals and nursing homes. With hospitals and nursing homes visitors can come and go at almost anytime of the day - so there is more oversite from the public. If grandma isn't being cared for properly then the family can raise hell and get some action. The same is not true for the teen industry. This new industry is in need of serious reform. Many facilities are using tactics that are not approved of by the professional psych organizations.

Offline audge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »
the visits by educational advisors were bull shit.  we were told exactly what to say and how to act while they were there. students that talked to them were specifically chosen and told what to do.  nothing they saw was real or showed actul experience.  attack therapy and hard labor do not make healthy, happy, loving children.