Author Topic: Fair Oaks Hospital in Summit, NJ?  (Read 68618 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Fair Oaks Hospital in Summit, NJ?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 02:08:25 PM »
And another, also from HighBeam:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

LESLIE BRODY, Record Staff Writer
The Record (Bergen County, NJ)
03-22-1993

FAIR OAKS HOSPITAL APPOINTS NEW CEO
By LESLIE BRODY, Record Staff Writer

Date: 03-22-1993, Monday
Section: NEWS
Edition: All Editions -- 3 Star, 2 Star P, 2 Star B, 1 Star Late, 1 Star Early

Fair Oaks Hospital of Summit, a private psychiatric institution
that was the target of a state investigation into alleged billing
improprieties two years ago, has named Edward Owen Jr. its new chief
executive officer.

National Medical Enterprises, the hospital's parent company,
announced Sunday that Owen, 43, will immediately become responsible for
Fair Oaks' administration and finances.

His appointment is the latest in a series ...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2009, 10:58:18 AM »
I currently work in the Mental Health feild now 22 years after being locked up myself for close to a YEAR AND A HALF at that place. You can't Imagine how hard is to get someone funding for a week now it's insane! As well as some of the practices used on the Accept Unit, Dead Time, The Silent Treatment, days of restaints!! I actually bit someone after 12 hrs! Having yelling assigments in the quiet room and getting sent back in to do it again because it wasn't from the gut! I still keep in contact with a friend from there .

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 01:26:33 PM »
Wow - I actually started this thread years ago, I'm amazed to see it's still going.  I thought it was really weird that there was just no information at all on this place anywhere on the internet (plenty on how it was sued out of existance, and took per-capita kickbacks for filling beds- Marjorie B., I'm looking in your direction.)

I did find a website for Nathan F. out there that's worth taking a look at for anyone that was there - looks like he's still making his money by convincing parents that if they aren't listening to him, they are enabling thier children to commit suicide.  Now that I'm a parent, I can see both the seduction and the evil in that sales pitch.  Take a look at the written testamonials on his site - You'll probably recognize some of the other staff from back in the day, still spouting the same party line.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 02:21:18 PM »
I was on the adolescent unit for about 6 months, back in 1987 (I think!) from Feb to July. Funny, I remember the date I got out no problem, just fuzzy on the year! Fair Oaks was an awful place and even now, as an adult, I have nightmares. The sad part was that I needed help, my family needed help- but it took years to figure out that isnt what they were there for.

R- I knew someone with the same initial/last name, wonder if it was you...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
I was there Oct.1981-Jan 1982.  While I was there they invented the Prospect School which was for kids that could not return to reg high school since they were "incorrigible".  I was the first to be an outpatient after my inpatient stay and finished my senior year in FOH.  Doc was there then, and so was DR. Strong, lol God, I hadn't thought about that word in 30+ yrs. Doc (Rosenberg) knew that if I went home I would be kicked out at 16 so he DID use my fathers insurance to keep me in so could finish high school.  He knew nothing was wrong with me, just rotten step parents.  I was able to retrieve all my records later in life, you know, the binders staff would write in, eval unit reports etc. All said I was ok just emotionally wrecked.  Doc proceeded to make sure I went on job interviews and learned how to budget since he knew I would be out on my own when I graduated.  He never forced meds on me and I sure gave him a hard time.  Maybe some of you heard of our crew...we were the ones who barricaded ourselves in a room until the fire department came with ladders to remove the windows, lol.  We were just bored, lol.  

I know Doc got in a lot of trouble for the insurance fraud issue and my case was used as an example in court.  In hind sight he saved my life.

If any of you were in and the unit was still on the top floor and saw the painted Pegasus on the wall, I did that.

Good luck to all of you.

Denise

Offline hann

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 12:00:41 PM »
Stacey - I was in Adolescent Unit Feb-Jun 1986. My name is Heather. I'm not sure if i can place my memory of you - but I think I know who you are... I remember Erica, Krista and Melanie - and Greg with the long hair...and others... Its been a long road since then but really reaching my stride the past few years. I often wonder how kids I knew there are getting on in their adult lives.

I've been trying to remember the last name of a counselor named Denise who did the relaxation therapy sessions. Those were really beneficial to me. Do you remember her? And for all the Elvis fans out there... I had the 'pleasure' of her watching me shower because i was on "arms length" due to confessing I wanted to hurt myself.... yeach! ;)

My experience there fortunately for me was  positive - not that I was happy to be there or I enjoyed it -- but that being locked up kept me from progressing into more dangerous drug use and behavior. I know enough about myself now to understand that I function best with an imposed structure - which that place gave me. The staff introduced me to AA (which when I was ready for it, 5 years later, saved my life - I am grateful to have had that exposure at 17) and the Relaxation Therapy taught me skills which became the basis for a path of education and coping that continues to be a significant part of self care, everyday.

I was discharged after my insurance ran out -- obviously I was part of the system there along with everyone else. But, I was in big trouble back then and probably wouldn't have survived without intervention. It's upsetting to know that perhaps many of the kids were damaged by what was apparently a somewhat corrupt system. I know that other hospitals had strong reputations as places of abuse - I'm grateful I wasn't in one of those places. I'm sorry for anyone who was - or is - hurt, in any way, by these malfunctioning institutions.

Offline bstan1976

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2010, 10:30:23 PM »
I was in Fair Oaks in summer of 88. My parents were duped into sending me there by a family friend/shrink(who no doubt got a cut for his referrals) because I was "incorrigible" . Just reading the words Dr. Strong and quiet room makes me sick. I was 12 years old when "Dr" Robin Shimmel prescribed heavy antipsychotic drugs that made me blind and wet the bed. I often dream of returning there as I am now (6'6 240lbs 34years old) and seeing if they would attempt the same abuse they enacted on the scared 12 year old I was. I am now married with two beautiful children of my own, but my teens and early twenties were marred by drug abuse and depression that Fair Oaks had a large hand in. I dont blame my parents but I hope every single staff member that worked there while i was there fries in hell for what they did. Its ironic that my family still doesnt believe me about the stuff that happened there.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 12:11:32 AM »
Quote from: "bstan1976"
I was in Fair Oaks in summer of 88. My parents were duped into sending me there by a family friend/shrink(who no doubt got a cut for his referrals) because I was "incorrigible" . Just reading the words Dr. Strong and quiet room makes me sick. I was 12 years old when "Dr" Robin Shimmel prescribed heavy antipsychotic drugs that made me blind and wet the bed. I often dream of returning there as I am now (6'6 240lbs 34years old) and seeing if they would attempt the same abuse they enacted on the scared 12 year old I was. I am now married with two beautiful children of my own, but my teens and early twenties were marred by drug abuse and depression that Fair Oaks had a large hand in. I dont blame my parents but I hope every single staff member that worked there while i was there fries in hell for what they did. Its ironic that my family still doesnt believe me about the stuff that happened there.

bstan1976,
My name is DannyB II, I was wondering if I could have a dialog with you concerning your statement that you don't blame your parents. I am genuinely curious as to why and how you came to this conclusion. I am not being judgmental or do I have a agenda.
Recently in my life I have had to re-think certain conclusions I had formed in my basic foundation of thoughts, I built over the years, since I left treatment. So I am looking for other members insight.
BTW thanks for your post.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 12:52:27 AM »
Quote from: "bstan1976"
Its ironic that my family still doesnt believe me about the stuff that happened there.
Of course not.  Then they'd have to deal with the guilt.  Have you ever tried telling them you forgive them?  That can help take away the possibility of guilt and make accepting the truth a lot easier for parents (did with mine).
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline bstan1976

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 11:27:01 PM »
sure danny no sweat

Offline Dreamwhisper

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 01:22:50 AM »
I went there when I was 14, from Nov. 1971 to June 1972, then again from Feb. to June 1973. It was pretty bad then, but it sounds like it got even worse over time.

I keep looking for pictures of the old building, but I can't find any online - does anyone know if there's a book or publication out, that has pictures of it? After all these years, the place still haunts my dreams.

Offline lisa37030

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:20 PM »
OMG hello roomies!!! I went there in 1990 until my insurance ran out. I was in for attempted suicide smoking weed and Lsd, not typical teenage stuff but i grew out of it. Alot of what fair oaks had to offer still haunts me, like the great white quiet room that was all but quiet, I remember smoking tea and snorting baby powder.lol and the wonderful walks to school where some quy reached in his pants and offered me his pubic hair during math class. Does anyone remember those whale sounds they made us listen to while laying on the floor, I never could stop laughing enough to get the full effect. And whats up with , "" and how does that make you feel?" Im sorry but since when does getting high make you go to the crazy house because I was with some kid you kept asking me if he could have my tampons and use my makeup. Strange. I roomated with a girl named Michelle from new york I still miss her. And I too never made it to  being on level 2, sorry but still to this day Im not gona suck up to people who think they know more than I do just because they where a badge. I was restrained at times, made to sit in my room refrained from Movie night and so on, hated sitting in that god awful wreck room in the middle of the joining boy and girl halls. i was Lisa nannie does anyone remember me?????

Offline bstan1976

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2011, 10:33:57 AM »
Hi Lisa I just missed you there by about a year. Sounds like you had same experience as I did. The first day I was there on the eval unit I got sick from something I ate. THeir solution was a shot in the ass full of Thorazine and strapping me to a bed. I was a drooling idiot for two days. To me there is nothing lower on this planet then adults who prey on children, nevermind for profit. Oh how i would love to return there now and send a few of those staff members into the quiet room.

Offline weave.and.unravel

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »
I was there five years ago after it had changed over to being "Summit Oaks".

Offline got2bme

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2011, 03:18:18 PM »
hello dear friends i was at fair oaks around 1979 was there for a full yr and left(was transferred to trenton psych hospital) the day my insurance ran out.
I still have nightmares of my experiance there. i was wondering does anyone remember me i was 11 yrs old the youngest patient at the time and kind of became there mascot the 1st half of the yr i spent there was spent either in seclusion or restraints. my name is Pam btw
but my question here is does anyone remember mark ( he was a staff member)in the adolescent unit that played guitar. also if anyone knew the nurse Nancy king I wonder where they are now and wish i could tell them how much they helped me.
If you remember me or those staff members please respond.