Author Topic: the purpose of the site?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
the purpose of the site?
« on: October 31, 2002, 10:16:00 PM »
I thought the purpose of this site was to allow ex-straights to communicate and lend some support to each other.

Life82, you're entitled to your opinions. You do appear adversarial and combative.  However, agreeing with Bill, to block you would be wrong. I'm sorry you took offense to my post. I was/am fortunate. Not rich. It's not my fault you got the shitty end of your stick. However, there's a lot of job openings in my field of business-shipbuilding- that are open for non-, semi- and skilled people. Contact me off list if you're interested in the Gulf Coast area. My email address is at the bottom.

I found this site just a couple of days ago. Looking, because I realized some elements of my disposition were related to my time there. I always speak in the first person. I pay complete attention to the speaker. I have a tendency to be confrontational and aggressive. I'm harder on my friends when they do stupid stuff that everybody does,than others probably would be. I'm just as hard on myself. Intense. Meticulously analytical of everything from motors to motives. In myself and others. It occurred to me that I was just like a 5th phaser. I see it in almost everything I do, how I go about doing it, and in the way I think about things in general. Still doing it and I hate it. It's too weird. Does anybody else see straight behavior mods in their lives? It's like being tainted.

Trish
St.Pete&VA '80-'83
[email protected]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline enough

• View Profile
the purpose of the site?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2002, 01:21:00 AM »
Hi Trish,

Yes all of those things are common and normal for people who have been involved in high demand coercive thought reform environments.

On several occasions in my therapy over the past year I have discussed these very topics, including the obsession with speaking in the first person.

Perhaps the most intellectual and fact based information available is this ReFocus They can offer referals to people with experience in helping people suffering or questioning the after effects of high demand groups.

The precept of addiction as our primary diagnosis was a ruse at best and sheer deception in my own opinion. I personally believe that the program was a function of the cultural backlash from the radicalism of the sixties. I think that many if not all of us were merely used as fodder for the cannons of the button down pre-boomer generation in their attempts to stop the natural evolution of our society to one based on more liberal and tolerant ideologies. Indeed, if you visit the DFAF.org website you may find that they continue to be obsessed with what they refer to as the 'druggie culture' and its sole responsiblity for all of this nations social ills. Simple answers to complex problems are their specialty.

When I entered therapy I remained in individual sessions for months, I was terribly uncomfortable with group environments, this fear even kept me out of school for 2 decades. When I finally entered a group session starting in the summer of this year, I began to listen to the experiences of people who had been a variety of high demand groups- Eckankar, International Churches of Christ and other various martial arts, religious and  spiritual groups. I was stunned at the familiarity of their stories, at just how precisely their own after effects matched many of mine.

My point is that Straight Inc. was no different than any other high demand coercive group, they had ulterior motives that were unrelated to our individual needs.

Dr. Robert J Lifton best describes the criteria for a thought reform environment, and I think that his Dr. Margaret Singer who herself helped shut down the Cinci program.

My own here, if that is of interest to you, it proved to be a fine release for me to go through it bit by bit and debunk the nonsense.

There is a list of suggested reading on thought reform, and addiction theory here, if that might be helpful. This list duplicates some of the links on my page and here, but includes links to Amazon.com for a number of books on the issue that I found helpful in making my own determinations about the validity or lack of such in the practices of the group.

I hope this is helpful to you, and glad to see you starting to question some of the less attractive after effects. It is possible to escape these effcts, and it is possible to heal, but be patient, it takes time and can involve dredging up some really uncomfortable stuff.

Everyone has to take their own path, and that in itself is a vaild and healthy departure from the dogma and doctrine of the group- that we all suffered from a silly made up disease and required exactly the same treatment and abuse.

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
the purpose of the site?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2002, 05:51:00 AM »
Trish,
Thank you for a well thought out and informative post.  This evening I will check out your links.  
   It is quite nice to see another early 80's person here.  I hope your brother is well.  I remember you two.  
Welcome.  I am glad you made it.  
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline marika708

• View Profile
the purpose of the site?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2002, 04:08:00 PM »
I have never actually been able to describe so succinctly what I believe has been the aftermath of the time I spent in the Atlanta program.
"I always speak in the first person. I pay complete attention to the speaker. I have a tendency to be confrontational and aggressive. I'm harder on my friends when they do stupid stuff that everybody does,than others probably would be. I'm just as hard on myself. Intense. Meticulously analytical of everything from motors to motives. In myself and others. It occurred to me that I was just like a 5th phaser. I see it in almost everything I do, how I go about doing it, and in the way I think about things in general.  "
This exactly describes my personality, I have spent years trying to explain to people that I am close to, that I am not mean, I am not heartless, I am not a b*tch.
I have a difficuilt time identifying and comprehending emotions in other people, almost to the point that I have to remind myself that they have feelings, too.  It is something that I absolutely despise about my personality, but I don't even realize I'm doing it half the time.
arika
Atlanta \'83-\'84

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
the purpose of the site?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2002, 06:44:00 PM »
Yes, at least that was true for some years following the Program. Damned near every aspect of my personality was either grafted from the Program or a reaction to it. Sometimes it seemed asthough I spend my entire life second guessing myself and trying to supress the first, most natural sponse to everything.

But I didn't 7th step, I split. So I'd made an ideological break with the Program right from the start. I'm still just very different. But at least I'm my own invention now, to a certain extent.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline junkyrd

• View Profile
the purpose of the site?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2002, 09:22:00 PM »
thankyou
Trish

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
the purpose of the site?
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2002, 10:15:00 PM »
Like Antigen, I split.  That gave a clean break with no promises to the program, no feeling of obligation to the group.
I look back and see things that were so straight influenced in my failed marriage.  The confrontational style.  The first person thing.  My X used to look at me like i was from Mars when i asked her to refer to herself when she talked. Thinking I could get her to change.  Yelling when angry.  I have learned long ago to control the undesirable behaviors as I have aged.  I like the good life and I have noticed that the program left me better in a few ways.  Keep in mind I was a split 5x who got away. I have principles.  Political, family, friendship, and humanity. I am TENACIOUS.  Miller told me I would NEVER LEAVE unless I 7stepped or turned 18.  I was 13 when he said that.  I got away at 15.  Nothing else I have done, took more to acomplish.  RN school as custodial father of 3 with half assed child support was kids play compared to getting out of Sembler's playground.

Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline junkyrd

• View Profile
the purpose of the site?
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2002, 11:29:00 PM »
Unfortunately, Bob's still messed up. He's had a rough go of it after Straight. Now the doctors say he'll die of emphysema in his 50's. He's 37 now, living in DC. We finally worked out our differences a while back. He's great with the kids. They look forward to fishing trips with Uncle Bob when we visit my folks.  I have to remind my kids, and all the cousins as well, not to eat any bugs or minnows for candy or ice cream.  Bobby knows that gets a rise out of all of us sisters. It's all amusing and we keep in touch.
Trish

Offline junkyrd

• View Profile
the purpose of the site?
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2002, 11:42:00 PM »
Yeah, well that's the problem. Didn't even realize I was doing it. The boss told me the other day that I'm not courteous enough when I deal with clients. That's what got me thinking about all this crap again. I followed the links so thoughtfully posted by enough. Juicy material, take a while to digest. I'm tired of being dogged for years by the skeletons and trash in my mental closets. Two bad marriages, social problems, yeah, I really learned to fit in. Aggression is not a totally bad thing for a girl in my male dominated field of work, but geez, not to my extreme. One of my Surveyors told my my name was on the wall in the shipyard head with : For a hard time call Trish with my office phone number. That pretty well sums it up I think.