Author Topic: Where would you be without MMS?  (Read 8647 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Where would you be without MMS?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
Reading a post before sending a post is always a good idea. Venting is great, venting to complete strangers, well? I'm not so sure that's so great. I'd just read what I wrote before sending it if I were you. Since you do digress and you forget things. It's kind of like doing drugs or binging or any of those things many of us have done. You do it, it feels good at the time, but later that night or the next morning you feel like shit. I just want to give you a suggestion to read your posts again before sending them and then maybe even sleeping on them if you are writing late at night. Just a friendly suggestion so you don't say things you really would rather total strangers not know about you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2005, 12:47:00 PM »
i don't know if i have add... been considered by professionals before, but i don't know if i really fit the profile. who knows.

also, i know that the cousin thing really is just a taboo, but i dont think it's healthy to want to have sex with your abuser even though it happens because of some psychological crap... that's what i was talking about

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »
really, i thought this forum was for people to vent. huh. well i don't feel shitty about what i wrote, so i don't know what you're talking about. and i don't really care if complete strangers read my crap, it doesn't harm me any... all it does is waste a minute of your life. hah.

Offline aileen

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/aileenchu
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »
oh the above two were me

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2005, 01:02:00 PM »
"Well I believe you came out of that institution a sanctimonious, self rightious prig. Backbone and fortitude? So everyone who's unhappy w/ the way these people treated them is flawed? If only they had your backbone and fortitude they'd clearly see that they are the worthless losers and MMS is the only salvation for their sorry asses? "-Antigen

Its surprising that you heard a tone through the computer.  Also you drew alot out of this that wasn't said at all by the speaker!  Just an opinion and yet one more perception ....Because everyone has a different perception---and to intiutively be able to read what peoples intentions are through a computer screen is a bit difficult? Wouldn't you say.....

Theres opinions, Judgments, and then there are observations. Isn't this a judgement?

It seems you judged whoever that was right off the website.   Do you think that at all?

Is this website exclusive to people that agree with your opinions and experience?

I don't really feel safe putting anything personal up here or even give you my name.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2005, 03:48:00 PM »
Ok, here is the exact quote from Hannah that so ticked me off:

Not everyone has the backbone and fortitude to learn from this tough love based institution and come out better for having gone and Then there is the other outcome feeling abused and worse for having gone. I beleive that I came out of this insitution better for having gone.

I've read it over about four times now, hoping maybe I just didn't read carefully enough or took it out of context the last time. But no, I can't find any way to interpret that statement, especially in the context of the rest of the post; more especially in the context of the other post around the same time "What I am asking and what I want Answers too.."

To my mind, what you're saying, Hannah, is essentially this; "Anyone with any backbone and fortitude would have benefited from this program like I did and wouldn't view it as abusive."

Is there any other way to read that?

Aileen, don't worry about it. Venting is good and, though I am sometimes opinionated and angry, it really takes some considerable effort to really hurt my feelings. I can take it!

Re: the "little girl" comment

I'm 40 years old. My oldest daughter is already 4 years older than I was last time I got stood up in girls' rap and the next one in line is just a year shy of that. When I think of those days, I remember telling myself I could handle it, that I was strong enough and smart enough and very much incontrol and invulnerable. But, from where I sit, I was a little girl then and so were all the other girls who participated in that madness. I really didn't mean to offend you w/ that. There's nothing wrong or shamful about having been a kid. But there is something very wrong and shameful about forcing (yes, forcing, not w/ a gun but w/ other, more personal forms of coercion) a kid to engage in intimate behavior against their will.

I don't doubt that you benefited from getting that stuff off your chest. But you must understand that some of those other girls could have done w/o having that sort of burdon placed on them, don't you? That's one of the flaws in the basic model of the Program. (and yes, what you ladies describe is exactly the way they did it in The Seed and Straight) It's normal and good and healthy to confide in someone you trust. It can be extremely "not good" to pour out your guts to a group of people who may or may not keep your confidence or handle the information and your feelings w/ competence and compassion. Worse still to expect those other kids to come up w/ good advice and commentary on those serious issues.

And that's the other major, major flaw w/ the base model of the Program. Earlier you said just exactly what we all said when we had to; that all of your old friends were just using you, none of them were real friends. I don't think that's ever true. But, in the Program, it's all black or white, good or bad. So just about all of us lost good friends and other really important relationships because we were not allowed to contact anyone not approved by staff (and that was a very short list!) While we were all "getting straight", they were going on w/ thier lives w/o us. When we came out, we were different, changed, affected in addition to just having missed out on a couple of years of what used to be our lives. Very few of us ever managed to pick up our real lives in any meaningful way. Almost anyone you talk to who spent a year or more in a synanon had to start over from scratch w/o those vitally important folks we knew back when.

And I have to laugh about what ya'll are saying about Colleen. Even now, all these years later (for some of you) she seems to be trying to call group on anyone who complains. Do you think she's able to grasp the concept that ya'll are not in the Program anymore? That she can't control you? That you all probably have a good enough grasp on basic mathamatics to notice that only a very rare few have been invited to the "reunion" and at least an average ability at pattern recognition to get a pretty good idea what the deciding factors are?

Don't get me wrong, a lot of people think this industry is all about the money and nothing else. I'm not one of those. I think the troubled parent industry is about narcissism and good intentions gone terribly, terribly wrong.

I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment, to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure.
--Clarence Darrow, American lawyer

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2005, 10:02:00 PM »
Where would I be without MMS?? How would I know, I didn't have the chance to find out!  Maybe I would have straigtened my act out myself, maybe not.  I probably wouldn't have had the "grades" to get into college though, and for that I am grateful.  Though, my A in Calculus was really an A in tutoring the Geometry students.  I remember Doug just got frustrated teaching us Calc so he had us help his Geometry class.  Whatever, I'll take it... :smile:  Who needs calc anyway?  :smile:

Sarah H.

Offline sunshine

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2005, 11:57:00 PM »
I needed calc, and did not get it. Instead I got some whack functions class that I had to teach to myself, and test my self on, and then i had a what pre calculus class that had more stuff about trig than calc. I also needed chemistry and physics, but instead I walked around MMS looking at deer shit, and trying to survey how many deer passed by there in an ecology course. There was also the environmental science classes, which were good, but were of no help to me when I actually got to college.

Just because you do not take an interest in politics, doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684863952/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> PERICLES (430 BC)

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2005, 12:47:00 AM »
ha ha!  deer shit, that's funny! Yeah, education, definitely sub par...It was difficult catching up afterwards, what's up with that?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline hugakid

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2005, 01:03:00 AM »
Ya, especially at those prices!? You'd think the education would be top notch!

Offline Clymerchick

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2005, 04:06:00 AM »
When I was there at least the freshmen and sophmore classes were decent. But looking at the junior and senior classes I have no idea quite how they managed to make it seem so great. Taking those classes now and how hard they are at a private school baffles me to the comparison of MMS... I liked how on tours for parents they would say that the classes are taught at honors levels without the credability! Hahahah... oh man... parent tours. What a bunch of plastic smiles and bullshit lines that was. I was really genuine about it at the time but geeeeez. Why was I rooting for them so much? It wasn't THAT great. Ohhhh yeah, Brain washed. That was why.
o matter what a person says, decent respect is all that I expect of eachother and myself. Lets be nice! \":)\"

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »
The was you say it is funny, but it is really  true. I remember I was a tour girl before, and I would say the greatest things. I wanted the parents to say what a great girl I was..and hopefully it would be passed down to John and he would give me credit..Never really happenw. He could have cared less who was doing the tour as long as they gave a great tour about his "perfect" school. I am sure he loved hearing parents say how amazing and incredible the school was. What an ego builder. Also to the students credit- we made that school look so gosh darn clean! It was beautiful! What a beautiful fantasy it was! Who wouldn't want to send their child there after visiting?
et God do the judging.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2005, 02:37:00 PM »
I wasn't allowed to give tours.  :sad:

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »
I gave tours.  I remember wishing that the educational consultants visiting could see me through the facade.  I remember hoping that they would look at me closely and that if they did they would be able to see the fear and misery in my eyes. That someone I could send the message that this was not a good place from deep within my soul.  I never managed to convey that or perhaps they weren't looking closely enough- don't know. They just couldn't read me- I said all the right things, did all the right things. They never saw me...the real me...
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »
Saddest day of all was the day I had to stand up and tell my best friend in the world how glad I was that he was there to get straight.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
--Unknown

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes