Author Topic: New Forum From the People who Founded Straight?  (Read 7244 times)

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
New Forum From the People who Founded Straight?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2002, 12:21:00 PM »
This general note to all.  Beware sending hostile or threatening email or posts to government sites.  You can say what you wish, but keep in mind that without an anonomous proxy set-up, you can be EASILY tracked.  Especially by powerful people in government with deals with the ISPs.
Turning off cookies and scripting helps a bit with security, but...
Bill
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline enough

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2002, 12:21:00 PM »
That trebach conference link is a article that DRC did during the first conference in Bethesda two years ago- I never once received any contacts via that article- meaning that they either have very low readership or very lazy readership, or both.

FYI.

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2002, 12:46:00 PM »
Ok I went there and joined and they asked reason for joining and I put Straight inc Survivor....and nothing they let me join but I could not get to any forums. What is that about??? I could see that Scott was on there but I couldn't get anywhere. What the fuck is that? Oh and remember NO PROFANITY MOTHER FUCKERS ONLY LIKE MENTAL OR PHYSICAL ABUSE NO VERBAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :GRRRRR
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2002, 10:13:00 PM »
I have to agree forcefully with Tampa Survivor here- Sending threatening or harrasing emails of any kind is NOT the way to affect change in a positive way, and is likely to become a pain in the ass blowback for everyone who  is trying to make a difference.

However, sending polite forthright and simple requests that are well within the law is not a big deal. IF you send a letter though- make sure that you have it certified or registered, and keep a copy for yourself.

Sending email's to DFAF is a waste of time, and will only inflame the rage that these people feel. It may give you a short term high, but it can easily come back to haunt you if you use language that can be interpreted as abusive, agressive or even vaguely threatening- keep your head level when dealing with those who have political and LEO connections.

Key point also - once someone asks you in email to stop making contact- that is considered a legal cease and desist request- any futher emails can easily be proesecuted as harrasment, if the subject of your attentions so chooses to expend the funds necessary to carry forth legal action, you can easily be dragged into cival court.

The point here people is not to antagnize the people at DFAF- it is to hold them accountable- remember that if we remain calm, and thoughtful and respectful- and they react with wild accusations and indictments- they will be the ones who end up looking foolish in most people's eyes.

But then what do I know, after all I am just a lousy fifth phase trainee who couldn't seven step and ended up leaving the program.

Offline Shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2002, 10:23:00 PM »
You know quite a bit. Your advice is excellent as a matter of fact. I kept that stuff in mind when I posted.  For me personally however, I'm not worried about being sued by the Semblers. All I have is debt and they are welcome to it.

Offline enough

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2002, 10:43:00 PM »
I feel much the same way in my own personal situation, I have a car, but that is hard to take away in court, and besides, I can't imagine them wanting my Saturn for any other reason than to be mean spirited. I am unemployed, diagnosed with chronic PTSD, I collect no government funds, I have nightmares virtually every day, have been in and out of hospitals for suicidal tendancies, and pretty much live on the good graces of my friends and family already.

Frankly it would look most unbecoming for them to take the time to confront me in court. And they are unlikely to be moved to such action unless they begin to suspect that we are reaching an audience outside of the few of us involved with this forum or the relatively small DPF and other sensible drug policy advocates.

Never the less- It is wise to use caution.

The Semblers themselves- do not ever get personally involved with people like us- indeed Betty  was quoted in a threatening legal action.

This is the reason I urge caution and well thought out statements and actions with regard to the DFAF. It was not until Radley Balko had been on the brink of a major form of press exposure, on a nationwide basis that they chose to take such drastic action.

And I am sorry to say that they succeeded in silencing Radley, who has chosen not to risk a libel/defamation lawsuit by publishing his article.

Personally I find it a shame that people like Soros, Sperling and others with deep pockets do not offer to provide journalists like Radley with legal dedense resources. It adds creedence in my mind to the idea that they have an agenda based solely on legalizing drugs, which I mau or may not agree with- though I think that the idea of getting the truth out in the mass media about what really happened in Straight and other offshoot gulags is a far more noble cause.

Offline the other anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2002, 11:00:00 PM »
Oh yeah, what ever happened with Radley Balko?  I saw his article, but I missed the rest of the story to which you allude.  He was threatened?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2002, 12:16:00 AM »
On 2002-11-02 19:43:00, enough wrote:
Personally I find it a shame that people like Soros, Sperling and others with deep pockets do not offer to provide journalists like Radley with legal dedense resources. It adds creedence in my mind to the idea that they have an agenda based solely on legalizing drugs, which I mau or may not agree with- though I think that the idea of getting the truth out in the mass media about what really happened in Straight and other offshoot gulags is a far more noble cause.

I think there's more to it than that. I know Soros is heavily invested in treatment. ASAMS backed Prop215, albiet at the last minute. Seems that crew is only interested in funding the medicalization of all drug use; including forced treatment.

I think the reason we've had a hard time making friends in the reform movement is that this kind of bad press on forced treatment goes against the treatment not jail movement.

But some of the best and the brightest, imo, are among the most influential, if not the most wealthy, dpf opinion makers. And they are definitely coming around. They do do their homework. They live and breath skepticism, of necesity, I think. But, eventually, the just keep coming around to the most logical, sensible conclusions.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline enough

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2002, 12:37:00 AM »
Radley made a fatal error with regard to the process of hatchet journalism, by his own admission at the link above, click on it and read his side of the story.

Offline enough

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2002, 12:00:00 PM »
Is the forum at DFAF back up? There is a forum topic adna sinlge post from the Administrator, where is that durn clown when we need him/her?

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2002, 02:17:00 PM »
On 2002-11-01 15:43:00, enough wrote:
Hmmm the link worked fine for me today, but you can easily get there by visiting dfaf.org, and then following links to the forum section.

DFAF

BLEH!!! GAG!!!!  What a disgusting website!
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline enough

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2002, 04:03:00 PM »
Yup this is the modern day version of straight foundation. look here for evidence. scrool down and click on name change history.