Author Topic: Up for a little Conspiracy Theory, anyone?  (Read 3375 times)

Offline mental torture made me li

• View Profile
Up for a little Conspiracy Theory, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 01:59:00 AM »
did you write that? i was just trippin on the eighties. thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline irvingbound

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 02:07:00 AM »
On 2005-01-10 14:41:00, jane wrote:

"My confusion on this matter centers around this: suppose they thought that they were doing a good thing and helping out kids who were addicts. What then did they think they were doing with all of the kids who weren't and had no history of using drugs? My suspicion I guess is that they figured if your parents were unhappy enough with you to bring you in, then you probably were at the very least a "potential addict." "

I think this is what something that is often lost....something that really bothers me still....I think when I went in I had "drug addict potential"   but was not a drug addict....hell even a few years later when I had developed some real unhealthy habits and needed some help, I doubted my being an addict....it seems so hardcore...still I saw, as you did, my fair share of kids who probably didn't even posses that potential....how did they get past their 14 day eval?   I thought they'd send me home after 14 days....I do think they THOUGHT they were doing right a majority of the time.....which is twisted within itself....but bottom line was, is, bacame.....it was a business...and we all represented $$$$$$$$

D
ll Midland kids ended up there didn\'t we?

Offline Tony Stark

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 03:44:00 AM »
Well, we're free now anyway. So why even wallow in the past? Forget all the bullshit and do more research on ourselves and such can be great, but still the unanswered questions are out there. There really are no secrets. This is the information age. Why not crack open a the good book for starters, and then move on? :wstupid:

Psychedelics often produce psychotic and even violent behavior in those who have never used them.
--Timothy Leary

But opiates clear up your problems from LSD. Under a physician's care, it's not drug abuse.
"This is a Republic"-VA Man.[ This Message was edited by: The Seeker on 2005-01-12 00:48 ]
Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory Of the Coming Of The Lord\"

Offline whiterabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 08:40:00 PM »
I believe the Sembler's thought they were doing the right thing. At least initially. I think their crime was one of denial then ego and then later pride and greed. At some point amongst all the allegations, investigations and lawsuits, anyone not completely deluded would have paused to consider that something might be wrong. When they had get Straight's license via the backdoor over and above the concerns and objections of Florida's HRS, surely there must have been an inkling that something was wrong. The board had to know about the lawsuits, the licensing issues, the concerns of outside psychologists, the ACLU. They knew why the seed was shut down.

They believed that THEY KNEW BETTER. Their line of reasoning probably goes something like this -Everyone who complained initially just didn't understand. They were naive. They just didn't know about druggies. Not like Mel and Betty and the omnipotent Miller Newton. Those who objected to the tough love philosophy were just fainthearted. Ill advised. Under informed. Deceived. Straight and Mel and Betty and Dr or Mr or Father Newton would have to continue their important life saving work even while former clients, the ACLU, HRS, and other misinformed, naive psychiatric professionals nipped at their heels. It was actually a philanthropic venture. People just didn't understand. Why it was practically martyrdom.....

Massive egos. Arrogance that blinded them even to the possibility that something might be wrong. At some point though there must have been some internal doubt. Some inner voice that said "what if". But by then it would have been very costly to acknowledge. Their repuations, careers & livelihoods were built around their "philanthropic" enterprise. What if it turned out to be harmful instead of helpful. What if they were WRONG? I'm sure that was processed and weighed in a split second and shut down immediately. They couldn't afford to consider the possibility.

Still can't. After all if it were really all about helping people they would have followed up to find out how effective their treatment was. They would have considered things other than a career in politics and public speaking venues and which judge or senator they'll be sitting next to at dinner. If it were truly philanthropic, Mel would be raising money to help those injured in their misguided little experiment.

If Betty and Mel and Miller had to get as honest as we used to, they'd have to admit that it was all about them. Still is.

All of these comforting and reasonable things were taught by the ministers in their pulpits -- by teachers in Sunday schools and by parents at home. The children were victims. They were assaulted in the cradle -- in their mother's arms. Then, the schoolmaster carried on the war against their natural sense, and all the books they read were filled with the same impossible truths. The poor children were helpless. The atmosphere they breathed was filled with lies -- lies that mingled with their blood.
--Robert G. Ingersoll, American politician and lecturer

traight Incorporated is a disease

Offline whiterabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 08:57:00 PM »
Dr, Father Virgil Miller Newton on the other hand was a sadist as well as an ego maniac. Liar. Fraud. Charletan.
Monster....

He KNEW what went on daily. He approved of it and directed it. I was there during his tenure. He was there when they read my diary to the group. Pacing at the back of the room. Glaring at me. Because I called HRS. I caused him grief. HRS dared to question his methods. He was there when they refused us bathroom privileges. He knew about the pb & j diets. Knew about the crazy exercise raps, 2 hours worth of sleep. He was there when dozens of kids were carving on themselves daily. He KNEW.

And he often bragged about Straight's mission. Your brains are filthy. Full of shit. We are cleaning them out. If that is considered brainwashing then we're guilty. He periodically made this speech. Proudly.

He knew. It's just that he knew what went on and he KNEW BETTER. And he LIKED it. :skull:

For myself, I do not believe in any revelation. As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities.
--Charles Robert Darwin, English naturalist

traight Incorporated is a disease

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »
He still likes it.  Seriously.  This guy can't just lead a normal life.  He HAS to be a guru to someone.  Even if it's only in his pathetic little church.  He thrives on people either blindly adoring him and thinking he's the answer to everything or cowering and running in fear from him.  Can you imagine if we were ever able to have him psychologically examined?  Narcissistic personality disorder.  Really.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone that fits that bill so well.

Offline Tony Stark

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 09:14:00 PM »
I know, it sux. I don't know what I'd do without my psychiatric medicene and all the behavior modavication that went with it? It's sort of like when you reach a l;evel where you don't fit in anywhere and you need the drugs. I just take what's prescibed. It's not considered abuse. It's clean and FDA approved and I'm not on as much as I used to be. These programs weren't really what solved my drug addiction. It was a doctor, who gave me pills instead of unclean criminal drugs off the street. At least I don't have to deal with any street characters.But the doctor doesn't stay very long. I get new ones all the time. They can't figure out what the problem is. I'm a drug-addict. All the psychology books are just as annoying to me as their programs and such. They have programs there too. I don't attend. I got their diploma years ago. I threw it away.And their special whatever award for doing stupid human tricks.It's a zoo in there. But I fucked up after my first chance at a new life years ago. I was young enough to be stupid.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
--Unknown

Prozac is a bad drug that makes you kill yourself. I stick to opiates.
"This is a Republic"-VA Man.[ This Message was edited by: The Seeker on 2005-01-12 18:16 ]
Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory Of the Coming Of The Lord\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 06:02:00 AM »
On 2005-01-11 22:59:00, Pietra wrote:

"did you write that? i was just trippin on the eighties. thanks "

No.  An 80's New York punk band called
Reagan Youth did that song.  
I use it as my screen name because it sums up my time at Straight.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »
:rofl:  :tup:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 03:21:00 PM »
:silly: