Author Topic: For Colleen Harrington  (Read 18329 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2006, 08:21:00 PM »
I believe that it is human instinct to lash out at another person for hurt or humiliation. Colleen, John, Deb, Mike, Gary or whomever was in charge at the school are optimal targets for anger. Now, I have some issues with the way some things were handled during my stay. As I grow older I have chalked it up to poor education on the part of their staff. I dont think anyone is a bad person at MMS, per say. I do, however, think that they were adults and fully responsible for some of the bad choices they made.

The bottom line is that we were the children and they were the adults. However you want to spell it out or blame or whatever you are doing. I had some trauma to fix up after the school.

I can say one thing though. I have some lasting memories of Deborah Finn and Mike Finn. Also of Gary Kent. In the lowest point of my life, when I had nothing and found myself a bottomed out drunk I opened a small  box in my room while I was packing to move across the county  (geographical fix), and there was a old big book. It was given to her by a sponsor in the 70's. I still have that book. It saved my life. She used to say, " I am going to love you until you can love yourself Sarah Matheson" Still, long after I left that place she loved me when she did not even know.

Mike Finn had a tough love approach but he taught me how to be resonsible for my own actions and consequences. I suppose I learned better than others from his method of teaching.

Gary Kent was not involved as much as he should. He was discredited by John and not allowed to fully teach us the psychological aspects of ourselves. Family roles, personal roles and a traditional sense of what cognitive behavioral therapy should have been.

Colleen, well she had a bite to her. She was, an overall good person though. I truely believe she is probably a good parent. I just remember how nice she was to those damn kittens running everywhere

John Mercer was the problem. I think he had a control issue with a serious superiority isssue. He should never have been allowed to do group or have any interaction with the kids. I believe he caused some serious damage to people, physically and mentally. John would demoralize people, break their will, and skew their sense of reality in order to conform. I think he should not be allowed to work with kids. Thats just what I think.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2006, 09:50:00 PM »
On 2006-05-01 17:21:00, Anonymous wrote:

John Mercer was the problem. I think he had a control issue with a serious superiority isssue. He should never have been allowed to do group or have any interaction with the kids. I believe he caused some serious damage to people, physically and mentally. John would demoralize people, break their will, and skew their sense of reality in order to conform. I think he should not be allowed to work with kids. Thats just what I think."

100% agree with this portion of what you've said. Sarah, John is now working extensively with the girls and working on his PhD.  I have heard most recent accounts that he has not changed one single bit.  This frightens me to no end.  I worry about the well-being of all the girls presently at MMS.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2006, 10:36:00 PM »
I would suggest contacting the ACLU in Montana and filing a formal compaint, if you are that concerned. Also, a measure you can take is to contact the Department of Children and Family Services. I believe I know someone in Missoula at the ACLU. Let me look around a bit.

Judah Girch is an attorney in Whitefish, MT. that handles cases like these. The problem is statute of limitations. You would have to get a judge to over turn the statute of limitations. Tough luck cause no judge is going to go for it. The only other option is for your parents to sue if you attended the school within 8 years of filing. Then it would be a breach of contract. I am guessing at these time frames.

Personally, your best bet is to not go with the legal stuff. I would shoot over to the ACLU site and start up with them.

These are just options. Also, remember that being malicious when you are doing this can create a problem for yourself and whatever cause you are fighting. You have to be honest, direct, clear, and to the point. Do NOT stretch the truth. Talk about facts. If you must talk about feelings, please include them at the end of the letter. When you are dealing with lawyers, just stick to the facts (honest- exaggerations are just sneaky lies).

I think that the things Mission Mountain School did early on is enough to compell the ACLU to do something without stretching truth. I am by no means saying people are lying. I just know how hard it is to not try and get them to see the enormity of the issue by really focussing heavily on certain subjects. I, myself, have a hard enough time not picturing horns and a pitchfork when I think of Mercer.....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2006, 02:32:00 AM »
Colleen doesn't read this shit anymore. It makes her sick. At least that's what i heard

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2006, 05:46:00 PM »
yea, must be hard to look in the mirror.  I'd feel sick too if I was her.  When you damage vulnerable kids by pretneding you know what your doing and supporting your husband, who does nothing short of creating a harmful environment, going on to further damage young girls...yea, damn... it's gotta hurt to see that truth reflected back.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »
On 2006-05-01 19:36:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I would suggest contacting the ACLU in Montana and filing a formal compaint, if you are that concerned. Also, a measure you can take is to contact the Department of Children and Family Services. I believe I know someone in Missoula at the ACLU. Let me look around a bit.

CPS won't do shit unless you are a VERY RECENT student.  Now that people know that it wouldn't suprise me that things will get leaked sooner rather than later...  With more girls getting educated on this issue early on and recognizing things that are completely UNACCEPTABLE in the mental health proffesion that occur at MMS, it's bound to happen.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2006, 01:01:00 AM »
What I find hard to believe is that there are plenty of the girls who need medication. Cognitive behavioral therapy can only do so much unless the actual chemical imbalance is treated. The first part of my twenties was torture until I got on lithium. I thought of it as something "I" was doing wrong rather than a chemical imbalance. You can run a simple blood test to see if a person has an imbalance. To deny someone lithium when they are imbalanced is comparable to telling a person that is diabetic that their insulin deficiency is all in their head and they just need to eat better. It was emotional torture for a while there. Back to the issue at hand, I believe CPS would listen as long as the complaints were valid and they felt they were out of concern for the other children not some sort of vendeta

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »
On 2006-05-20 22:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

Back to the issue at hand, I believe CPS would listen as long as the complaints were valid and they felt they were out of concern for the other children not some sort of vendeta"

Believing is fine, but the facts differ from your 'belief'.  It is a FACT that they do not.  Call them and ask for yourself.  It's their policy.