Author Topic: For Colleen Harrington  (Read 18336 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 02:27:00 PM »
On 2005-05-07 11:04:00, katfish wrote:

...bullies.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of it's victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busy-bodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
-- C.S. Lewis.

Scoundrels are predictable, but you're a man of honor and that frightens me.
Anonymity Anonymous
return undef() if /coercion/i;
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »
Who, personally, has had colleen call them up and threaten them with a lawsuit.  not who HEARD this happened, but who did it actually happen to.  just curious.

Offline sarahf

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 03:28:00 PM »
i seriously think yall are fucked up venting at colleen this way. for whatever it's worth i truly love john and collen, and mike and deb most of all.
they gave me the tough love and support that my spoiled, fucked up ass needed.
if you hate them, then why are you giving them so much of your energy?!
MOVE ON!!!

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 04:06:00 PM »
Speaking for myself, to help prevent my experience from being repeated.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »
it's NOT being repeated... the school is CHANGING.  Mike and Deb are Gone... most of the staff is GONE.  the only common denominators are John and Colleen who have rarely even been around lately since they now have two beautiful daughters...

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 07:51:00 PM »
Hey anony-
post above, what's same/different about the program from 2000 versus now or closer to now? and what years were you there?  

kat
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2005, 07:59:00 PM »
There's been some posts about it.  I was there 1998 to 2000.  Staff is different, the approach is different ( a lot more structured )  Clymerchick posted about it under another heading on this forum.  She stated it nicely.  I mean, regarding the abuse I guess.  I can't speak for how it was in the early 90s, but there was no abuse while I was there or the girls I knew while I was there... and since then.  They may not like it, but they weren't abused.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 01:48:00 AM »
You said ...I was there 1998 to 2000. Staff is different, the approach is different ( a lot more structured )... I can't speak for how it was in the early 90s, but there was no abuse while I was there or the girls I knew while I was there... and since then. They may not like it, but they weren't abused. (QUOTE)

Wow, your last sentence is really something. How can you make a statement like this "...they may not like it, but they weren't abused." I would hope you would come back and apologize to the girls because you do not know everyone's stories and if you think that things we're read about her are not abusive, then you are sadly mistaken. You must have a weird way of looking at things in life.  

Because I find it abusive when someone forces you to tell you innermost secrets, revealing things that you would never had dreamed you would have to reveal.

I find it abusive when a child is taken out of school for 8 months and is forced to do manual labor for that time, is not allowed to shower for the entire 8 months, does not get to eat with the others, and so on. Hmm... not abusive?

What about the girl who was forced to carry rocks in a backpack even when she rode a bike. These were no light rocks. SHe suffered from bruising up and down her spine.

Those are just a very few examples of what Ive read here that contstitues abuse in my opinion.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 02:52:00 AM »
There was definately not a time where there were no showers for 8 months. Maybe a few weeks, which is still gross but never 8 months. I don't know where you got that information from.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2005, 06:46:00 PM »
I don't apologize.  Therapy is revealing your secrets... getting them out, working through them, dealing with your shit.  I had to write an entire life story of everything i'd never told anyone, and do you know how relieving that was??  secrets can be dangerous, they stew inside you... especially if you have guilt over any of it... it just stays in there and is so destructive!!!  and i'm pretty sure if you didn't want to say something, you didnt' have to.  no one had a gun to our heads!  there were still things i didn't say after i'd left, that i really didn't want to say, so i didn't.    and yeah, that showering thing is BS.  even when we were on intervention, it seemed like once a week we'd all treck back to campus to shower and do laundry.  and the girl with the rocks, did she say she was bruising?  or was she afraid to?  I know sometimes I didn't want to speak up.  i had a bizarre injury that i was scared to talk about, but i finally told deb and she took me to the doctor and we took care of it.  i was never told i was lying or making it up...

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2005, 08:04:00 PM »
On 2005-05-13 15:46:00, Anonymous wrote:

I don't apologize. Therapy is revealing your secrets... getting them out, working through them, dealing with your shit. I had to write an entire life story of everything i'd never told anyone, and do you know how relieving that was?? secrets can be dangerous, they stew inside you... especially if you have guilt over any of it...

Yes, secrets can be dangerous; whether you keep them in or reveal them to the wrong people.

Exactly what are the qualifications of the people to whom you revealed your secrets? How can you be sure that their advice was good advice? Were you ever put into a position to provide counseling to other girls? Were you qualified to do that?

No, they didn't hold a gun to your head litterally. But there are other forms of coercion that are a lot more effective. Social pressure alone is pretty effective sometimes. Social pressure under isolation is more effective.

I don't think these people know what they're doing. I do believe they're doing considerable harm.

Any comment, Colleen? This thread's for you, after all. And several different people have suggested that you're reading every word of it. No comment?

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"  Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
-- Charlie Brown, _Peanuts_ [Charles Schulz]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »
I never counseled other girls, gave them my opinion, but never counseled.  And I believe these people did know what they were talking about, especially Gary who was very qualified.  And when Carla came... same thing.  The rest of the staff, teachers and stuff... would help us out, support us, but would never give us therapeutic assignments... I really don't think what the staff of MMS is doing today is harmful.  Sure they coudl rework a few things, and they are, and that's what life's about... seeing what works, changing what doesn't, and I think they're doing a pretty good job of that these days.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2005, 09:41:00 PM »
On 2005-05-13 17:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I never counseled other girls, gave them my opinion, but never counseled.  

What's the difference?

And I believe these people did know what they were talking about, especially Gary who was very qualified.  And when Carla came... same thing.  The rest of the staff, teachers and stuff... would help us out, support us, but would never give us therapeutic assignments... I really don't think what the staff of MMS is doing today is harmful.  Sure they coudl rework a few things, and they are, and that's what life's about... seeing what works, changing what doesn't, and I think they're doing a pretty good job of that these days."

But it's not asif we don't know already the results and effects of confrontational therapeutic communities. We do. Some of us know about it through firsthand experience; the nightmares, the neuroses and all. And that has led us to seek out others and compare notes. Some of those others are egg heads who know just where to look for the relavent research.

The research bears out our experience. We're actually not just dysfunctional, ungrateful, weak individuals who were too flawed to benefit from the great gifts of our respective gurus. We're the norm.

Your gurus would know this too if they would bother to look at the research or listen to their former students or even just use a little common sense before pressuring a little girl (you were, we all were, it's not an insult) to delve into her most painful, personal issues in front of a bunch of other little girls.

But they don't want to know.

Scoundrels are predictable, but you're a man of honor and that frightens me.
Anonymity Anonymous
return undef() if /coercion/i;

Offline kerryberry420

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2005, 04:31:00 PM »
my god this got out of control this has turned into a war between girls each trying to prove that they are right.  that wasn't what this was about at all.  this was ONLY about trying to make legislature that monitors programs more closely.  not just mms, all of them.  the "teen help" industry is the fastest growing industry in the country and programs are popping up everywhere, i persoanlly think there should be an agency created just to monitor these programs.  not something to get in the way of what they are doing but somehting to make sure that the girls (and boys) come first.  sorry i let myself get off of my own topic even, but this was really all i wanted to get across.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
For Colleen Harrington
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2005, 12:52:00 AM »
"this makes me absolutely fucking sick to my stomach. you want to talk about manipulation, this is it in full force."

I think that was Colleen.