Author Topic: Check the Stats  (Read 756 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Check the Stats
« on: April 25, 2005, 11:16:00 AM »
When I put up a thread I like to check the stats, how many Views, how many Replies. I take pride in that sort of thing.

Some of us are putting together a betting pool, taking bets on such things as, how many Replies will that new thread generate? Which thread on the Teen Help forum will be at the top for the longest this week?

Battle of the Threads
Things are really heating up between the "I Just" and the "Everything you listened to today" threads. The stats so far are as follows:

I just: 129 pages, 1,285 Replies, 19,644 Views

Everything you listened to today: 50 pages, 491 Replies, 4, 542 Views.

One might look superficially at the stats and conclude that the "I just" thread had such a lead it would be virtually impossible for "Everything you listened to today" to ever overtake it. However, a statistical examination of the Initial Entry Date reveals that the measure of Activity Density* has been greater for "Everything you listened to" from day one. So the question is, when will the inevitable takeover occur? A few rash bets have been placed on the table for the first day of summer. Another minority are placing bets on the conservative end of the spectrum, which is set at one year from today.

New bets welcome.

*Posts per unit time
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
Check the Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 03:41:00 PM »
Comparing these to threadcounts, while interesting, is NOT a particularly accurate way to assess the popularity of the two.  First of all, let's take a look at the subject matter of each:  The "I just" thread tends to be limited to discussions or boasts about the use of an illegal drug--cannabis.  The "Everything you listened to today" post tends to be about music that the posters enjoy hearing.

Almost anyone could honestly post what they listened to---the pool of potential posters is much larger than the other thread.  Even those posters that did not enjoy music that day could theoretically post "everything they listened to" be that crickets chirping, car alarms going off, angry spouses, lawnmower engines, or some drunk at a bar pontificating about how great the pro-marijuana thread he started on a website is.

By many estimates, less than 20% of the population smokes pot, and less than that will admit to it.  Even fewer will boast of currently using it on a public forum.  Even considering these facts, "I just" has an unassailable lead and will continue to, based on the bravery, fanatacism, and sheer bragadocio of the weed burnin' contributors.  :smokin:
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline groovy1634

• View Profile
Check the Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »
i say the i just thread will win....oh well, both good threads...peace

:wave:  :wave:  :wave:
EOW  

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile