Author Topic: HELP Doc wants 2 send kid to KHK  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
HELP Doc wants 2 send kid to KHK
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »
On 2005-04-27 14:18:00, confuzdmom wrote:

"Thank you for your reply. I went to the khk facility this afternoon with my husband.It was interesting to say the least.The "intake" coordinator was just as cute as can be. I asked her age(25,has worked there 1 year)and if she was a "graduate" (no).I did not bring the straight subject at all in the beginning.We were allowed to have a "one on one" 20 minute "private"(?) meeting with a second phaser.Also, as cute as a button. I reviewed my list of questions for the "phaser", and her answers were pretty predictable.I found myself correcting her when she was referring to herself as a loser, etc. I asked her if she hed felt humiliated at all, or if she had to admit to things she would have rather kept private. She said no. And when asked if she had ever witnessed/heard of kids cutting on themselves,answer again, no.Religion crammed down their throats, no, etc etc etc.When she was leaving the room,when the intake girl came back, she kinda gave a little air punch&said "I LOVE IT HERE!! That was overkill for me. Then came the "tour".Joke of a tour..I dont give a shit where Suzie does insurance billing.I wanted to see whe meeting rooms, although we did see the bathroom. Then we were led back to the intake room to see if we had any final questions. I pulled out my papers & fired away. Straight?"Oh no, we're not affiliated with them, but yes, we did buy the building, yes, we follow the same 7 rules, parent rules, phase rules,no contact rules,isolation rules, but we're not affiliated with Straight".Ok, then how do you differ from them..."They were a little rougher" What is the required reading for "phasers"&parents.."The Big Book". Well, who wrote "The Big Book"? "Not sure, I'll check on that".What happens if a phaser becomes ill or violent, or misbehaves?"We intervene & use a time out room" How do you get them to the time out room"Im not sure" We were told if we werent sure this was the right program for our daughter, we could try it out for a 7 day assessment period.What percentage of 7 day assessment kids are recommended for the program in its entirety?"95%" Of course.Maybe it works for a few kids, but its not an option for our family.Thanks again for the info. BTW..we're also going to switch therapists."

....and there are those that say this site doesn't do any good. :nworthy:  :nworthy:  This has made my day!  I LOVE to see a free thinking parent.  I wish you the best with your child.  Please let us know how you guys are doing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline RN on Board

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »
Dear Confused: WAY TO GO!  It's great to see parents ask the pointed questions and then say no to their phases and crap.  If more people did this then things would change.  Remember - the rule of thumb - if they do not allow parent/child contact and freedom of communication by phone and mail -then chances are the program is abusive.  Also - always ask to see the "time out rooms." Is it a humane looking place - for instance it should have a comfortable place to lay down and sit.  It should be close to the staff station. It should have a bathroom nearby.  Ask to see it - walk in it, smell it. If it looks like a "punishment cell" rather than a "time out cell" - it probably is.  Isolation is a form of torture and should only be used in extreme situations and for as short of a time as possible.  Ask them also the longest a child has been left in the "time out" room.  Do not take a vague reply as an answere.

Also -- if you decide to use a facility that you find acceptable to YOUR STANDARDS - remember to cross out anything and everything you do not agree with on the contract.
 For instance if there is a restraint agreement - for physical and chemical restaints - be sure to write the following on this form:   This facility DOES NOT HAVE OUR CONSENT TO USE PHYSICAL or CHEMICAL RESTRAINTS UNDER ANY SITUATION.  IF THIS IS MEDICALLY NECESSARY - PARENTS MUST BE CALLED and MUST AGREE TO any intervention that involves any type of restaint.

Chemical restraints are very dangerous for recovering drug and alcohol abusers - it throws them off the wagon - so to speak.  Do not allow this.

Offline Invertix

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 08:36:00 PM »
Something to remember is that not all parents who consider sending their children to these facilities are pure evil, and I'd be surprised if the majority of them were. Just woefully misguided and twisted into believing a line of rubbish without thinking of the unintended consequences and how extreme things can get. (It's not to say that it doesn't happen though)

Someone who uses abbreviations and acronyms isn't necessarily proof that they're a terrible parent, and even calling people on that who are is just going to insult them. While it may feel gratifying it's not the best way to convey your message and it's not going to do any good.

Anyway, Confused, I'm glad to see that you've taken the time to study both sides of this issue. You seem like someone who really cares about the safety of your daughter and I wish the both of you the best of luck.

Offline 001010

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 09:44:00 PM »
On 2005-04-27 14:18:00, confuzdmom wrote:

"Thank you for your reply. I went to the khk facility this afternoon with my husband.It was interesting to say the least.The "intake" coordinator was just as cute as can be. I asked her age(25,has worked there 1 year)and if she was a "graduate" (no).I did not bring the straight subject at all in the beginning.We were allowed to have a "one on one" 20 minute "private"(?) meeting with a second phaser.Also, as cute as a button. I reviewed my list of questions for the "phaser", and her answers were pretty predictable.I found myself correcting her when she was referring to herself as a loser, etc. I asked her if she hed felt humiliated at all, or if she had to admit to things she would have rather kept private. She said no. And when asked if she had ever witnessed/heard of kids cutting on themselves,answer again, no.Religion crammed down their throats, no, etc etc etc.When she was leaving the room,when the intake girl came back, she kinda gave a little air punch&said "I LOVE IT HERE!! That was overkill for me. Then came the "tour".Joke of a tour..I dont give a shit where Suzie does insurance billing.I wanted to see whe meeting rooms, although we did see the bathroom. Then we were led back to the intake room to see if we had any final questions. I pulled out my papers & fired away. Straight?"Oh no, we're not affiliated with them, but yes, we did buy the building, yes, we follow the same 7 rules, parent rules, phase rules,no contact rules,isolation rules, but we're not affiliated with Straight".Ok, then how do you differ from them..."They were a little rougher" What is the required reading for "phasers"&parents.."The Big Book". Well, who wrote "The Big Book"? "Not sure, I'll check on that".What happens if a phaser becomes ill or violent, or misbehaves?"We intervene & use a time out room" How do you get them to the time out room"Im not sure" We were told if we werent sure this was the right program for our daughter, we could try it out for a 7 day assessment period.What percentage of 7 day assessment kids are recommended for the program in its entirety?"95%" Of course.Maybe it works for a few kids, but its not an option for our family.Thanks again for the info. BTW..we're also going to switch therapists."

Way to go.  :nworthy:  :wave:  :grin:

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0688163157/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> John F. Kennedy

[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 10:15:00 AM »
I am so proud of you.  What you made an educated decision and I can't thank you enough.  You are the reason Ginger works so hard at this website, and why so many of us, years later, are still involved in the cause.  Good luck in all you do , and best of luck and kindness extended to your daughter, as well.

Offline confuzdmom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 10:50:00 AM »
To fka- The juvenile resources in Hamilton County (cincinnati)do not refer people to KHK. I dont know if they did in the past.Also, our insurance company(anthem/magellan behavior) does not recognise khk as an "accredited" facility. Its a sad state of affairs when it's so difficult to get your child help, esp when there are underlying issues(depression,etc).But it's even sadder when trusted medical professionals recommend something that could be damaging to a childs soul.Maybe khk isnt "as rough" as its predecessor, but Im not willing to take that chance.Thanks again for everyones insight.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »
Will you tell your therapist what you discovered about KHK? I think that could help with this situation, to at least bring something positive to a potentially bad situation. Maybe this person is truly unaware...at the very least they will learn that some people do not like this approach, something a lot of program people tend to forget.

It's still an inspiring story what you said during your interview at KHK.

:tup:  :tup:  :tup:

Offline confuzdmom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »
I sent her an email explaining what happened at our visit & how we feel about it& included a link to this site, isaccorp,and a few others.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 08:55:00 PM »
confuzdmom - CONGRATS!  :grin:

People like you help undermine these atrocious facilities! Keep up the good work.

The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation.
--Elizabeth Cady-Stanton

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."