Author Topic: even cops are against the war on drugs.  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
even cops are against the war on drugs.
« on: June 06, 2005, 10:44:00 PM »
I was reading my local paper and I came across this article. It is interesting and I thought Id share.

Drugstore Cowboy
On his one eyed horse, Misty, a lone rider moseyed into town last week with a tattered hat on his head, spurs on his boots and illicit substances on his mind.

Howard Wooldridge, 54, is riding across the United States to spread his message: The war on drugs is a costly failure. "We in law enforcement are a mosquito on the butt of an elephant." he said. Retired after nearly two decades of police work in Michigan, Wooldridge has spent the last eight years trying to convince politicians and his former colleagues in blue that the war suceeds only in filling prisons and disorienting the justice system.

A few years ago, he helped found an organization called Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP). Police officers, parole officers, judges, and prosecutors are among LEAP's 85 former drug war participants who argue for drug legalization.

Wearing a shirt that reads, "Cops say legalize drugs. Ask me why," Wooldridge set out on his horseback journey from Los Angeles this March. He hopes to make it to New York City by October.

Not every place he stops to hang his hat, however, welcomes him with open arms. "Colorado Springs has been a tougher crowd than most [in] the United States." he said. "The issue of morality comes up a lot." Refering to people who consider taking drugs a sin, he adds, "These are the same people who would make alcohol illegal again."

Although he supports legalizing drugs, Wooldridge steers clear of illegal substances himself. Instead, he sticks with beer, whiskey and the pleasures of riding through open country. "Thank you Colorado Springs," he said. "I love your trails."

-Dan Wilcock

So wha do you think? My parents and I were discussign how they made it completely illegal to use marijuana for medial purposes this week. Even if a doctor thinks you need it and prescribes it to you, it is still illegal.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
even cops are against the war on drugs.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 12:31:00 AM »
On 2005-06-06 19:44:00, Anonymous wrote:

So wha do you think? My parents and I were discussign how they made it completely illegal to use marijuana for medial purposes this week. Even if a doctor thinks you need it and prescribes it to you, it is still illegal.

No, this ruling doesn't change a thing. It just upholds the status quo; that DEA can go on busting and prosecuting around 5 or 6 cases per year, cause that's all they're budgeted for. And the states can go on refusing to lend any kind of help or support. And there's a bill in the works to deny federal funding even for that effort.

The tide of public opinion is turning (slowly the worm turns) on this narrow issue. Even my very conservative local CBS affiliate capped their coverage w/ the "news" that MJ is used and accepted for medical properties and that 11 states (if you count the ineffectual DC balot init) have already passed laws to that effect.

This is not over. If anything, it's relatively cheap publicity for the pro-reform side. I have to wonder why the justicies chose this week to drop the bomb and if there may have been a less damaging (to their side) argument than what they chose.

As I understand it, the only reason the Supremes gave for the need to prosecute intrastate, noncommercial cannabis gardeners was to protect interstate trade in cannabis.

Who tf do they think they're kidding? That doesn't pass the giggle test!

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140440607/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Tacitus, Roman senator and historian (A.D. c.56- c.115)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes