Author Topic: My Son At Thayer  (Read 40905 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164659
  • Karma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »
Ginger:  What is your basis for your statements about Thayer?  Where you ever there?  Have you visited it.  Do you have any first hand information?  Interesting questions?  Cptnemo
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline terrified_mother

  • Posts: 7
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2005, 07:25:00 AM »
You state your son left Thayer last fall and received a scholarship to attend university where he is now your dream son.  The problem I have with your statement is unless your alleged son was the incredibly rare gun toting, drug dealing scholar prior to his stay at Thayer your claim cannot, possibly, be true.  The mail order high school program offered at Thayer is issued by American Schools which may be accredited in Illinois but whose credits are not accepted at any college that I know of.
Further, your attacks on the members of this forum make no sense unless you have some sort of profit to make from Thayer's success.  Your presence in this forum makes no sense if, in fact, you were a totally satisfied parent of a successfully turned around son.  Surely, you would have bigger fish to fry and grander dreams to accomplish than defending Thayer.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12992
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »
Quote
On 2005-04-23 18:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Ginger:  What is your basis for your statements about Thayer?  Where you ever there?  Have you visited it.  Do you have any first hand information?  Interesting questions?  Cptnemo"


What statements? I'm asking questions and you're trying not to answer them. But your answers are very telling despite yourself.

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense.
--Francois Marie Arouet "Voltaire", French author and playwright

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline tlcrescue

  • Posts: 144
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2005, 12:18:00 PM »
relentless exercise?  relentless exercise is what most likely killed the Reyes boy.  Have you even read about it?  The actual ME report? I have a copy if you are interested.

Relentless exercise?  They fractured my son's ankle the first 5 minutes he was there because he "looked the drill instructor in the eye".  How was my son to know that was forbidden when he had just walked through the doors?  As soon as he walked through the doors, he was approached by several drill instructors who "took him down" and "restrained" him because he looked one of them in the face when they approached him.  In that take down, they fractured his ankle, and although he requested to be seen by a doctor for the ankle, they refused and forced him to exercise in excess of 12 hours a day on that ankle.  Was that warranted?  No, it wasn't.  I didn't send my son there for the same reasons you did.  My son was not into drugs, violence, etc.  Had never been in trouble with the law.  I chose Thayer because he was ADHD and struggled in school and from what the program preached to me was that this would help him academically.

That example up above, is only one of many that my son suffered while there.  We wont even talk about the fact that he was hog-tied to another studen and "dragged through the showers" because he couldnt keep up with the exercise regime.  Well hell, who could on a broken ankle?  So, they broke his ankle, he couldnt keep up in exercise because of this ankle, so we are going to punish him even more?

Get real!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164659
  • Karma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »
The answers to your questions are:

1)  The diploma from the American School was accepted by the 3 universities we applied to.

2)  As to personal attacks, what are your comments on the personal attacks I have received from my posts?  It would be nice for you to rebuke those who have made ugly comments to and about me.  3) The academic (yes, academic, not need based) scholarship is real -- all $11,000 of it.

The problem is clear.  If one person shows that Thayer in fact worked, then you (and the rest of the others) must re-think your position.

As Lewis Carroll said, "Never try to reason a man out of a postion he was not reasoned into."

Most people on this site seem incapable of reading what I have written.  I have no idea if Thayer will work for anyone other than my son.  I just know it worked for him.  And dear friend, that is simply a fact.

I am sorry things did not work out for your son.

Cptnemo
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164659
  • Karma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2005, 07:43:00 PM »
It is too bad you did not read my posts from last Sept. about Thayer.

Thayer, from my own observations and those of my son's -- was absolutely the wrong place for your son.  Thayer is for those teens who are unreachable by any other type of therapy and, if they continue, will soon be in jail or dead.  From what I have read -- but have no personal experience with -- there are many other schools much better suited for your son than Thayer.

Thayer is really the "end of the road", where a literal cliff exists for those who go further.  My son was a criminal and he needed Thayer to turn him around.  They did and my wife and I are happy.

Again, context is everything.  Your son's context was very different than mine.  

Cptnemo
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12992
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2005, 08:48:00 PM »
So what you seem to be saying, Nemo, is that it's perfectly ok w/ you if they bust some limbs and even kill some kids, just so long as you get the results that you desire?

So then I have to ask, why didn't you just beat the hell out of him yourself? What, too weak? To scared? Can't stomach it so you pay someone else to do it? Wimp. And don't go whinning about being called bad, bad names. That's NOthing compared to what the staff at Thayer say to these kids.

 

so long as the universe had a beginning, we could suppose it had a creator. But if the universe is completely self-contained, having no boundary or edge, it would neither be created nor destroyed it would simply be. What place, then, for a creator?
--stephen Hawking, English scientist

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12992
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-04-25 16:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

They did and my wife and I are happy.


Is your son happy? Does it matter to you? Could he even say so if he wasn't? Would you give a shit? You're a scary dude, Nemo. I really hope you get yours when you're old and feeble and the shoe is on the other foot. I honestly do.

A drug is neither moral nor immoral - it's a chemical compound. The compound itself is not a menace to society until a human being treats it as if consumption bestowed a temporary license to act like an asshole.
--Frank Zappa

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164659
  • Karma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »
Hi Ginger:  The scholarship is still available.  This time I promise the straps will be stronger, you won't be able to chew through...  Fondest Regards, Your Friend Nemo.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12992
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2005, 02:26:00 PM »
Yeah, just as I thought. You had to hire someone to rough up your son cause you lack the sack. And now you wish you could punish me for saying so.

It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Cayo Hueso

  • Posts: 1274
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2005, 02:38:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-04-25 16:35:00, Anonymous wrote:


The problem is clear.  If one person shows that Thayer in fact worked, then you (and the rest of the others) must re-think your position.

Cptnemo"


I'm not saying that it didn't 'work' (definition meaning that you got the results you wanted).  The more important question to me is HOW does it work and at what price????

The hypothalamus is one of the most important parts of the brain, involved in many kinds of motivation, among other functions.  The hypothalamus controls the "Four F's": 1. fighting;  2. fleeing;  3.feeding; and  4. mating.
-- Psychology professor in neuropsychology intro course

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline tlcrescue

  • Posts: 144
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-04-25 16:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"It is too bad you did not read my posts from last Sept. about Thayer.



Thayer, from my own observations and those of my son's -- was absolutely the wrong place for your son.  Thayer is for those teens who are unreachable by any other type of therapy and, if they continue, will soon be in jail or dead.  From what I have read -- but have no personal experience with -- there are many other schools much better suited for your son than Thayer.



Thayer is really the "end of the road", where a literal cliff exists for those who go further.  My son was a criminal and he needed Thayer to turn him around.  They did and my wife and I are happy.



Again, context is everything.  Your son's context was very different than mine.  



Cptnemo"


see...even you say that thayer was not the riht place for my son...but yet, when I contacted "Parent Help" to find a school for my son, they convinced me that Thayer was what he needed.  Little did I know at the time, that Parent Help is owned by the same people that own Thayer.  What is wrong with this picture? They take a kid like I described above and convince us he needs to be in Thayer.  But, as you said, and I have seen for myself, Thayer is not the right environment for a son such as mine who was simply looking for help in the educational system.  So, you don't think it is wrong that Parent Help and Thayer are owned by the same person, and that when I contacted Parent Help to find a school for my son they totally advocated sending him to Thayer?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 164659
  • Karma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »
Please read carefully what I have written.  Each word I use has a specific meaning:

What I said is that Thayer worked for my son.  By "work" I mean he is a prductive, happy and confident adult.  His bad behavior is long gone.

That is all I said.  

I have not said nor am I saying anything in favor of the Bundy's front operations that steer parents to Thayer.  And, I am not supporting any recommendation by anyone that is not appropriate for the situation.  Actually, I have not defended anyone in my posts.

All I have said and am saying is that for the particular problems my son had, Thayer worked, and worked brilliantly.  As for the "price" people speak of, my son is glad I sent him there.  He both can't stand Thayer and belives it saved his life.  

So, please don't read anything into my posts that I have not written -- although that is a very common occurance on this website.

Cptnemo
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12992
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2005, 04:07:00 PM »
Quote
On 2005-04-26 12:46:00, Anonymous wrote:

As for the "price" people speak of, my son is glad I sent him there.  He both can't stand Thayer and belives it saved his life.  



So, please don't read anything into my posts that I have not written -- although that is a very common occurance on this website.



Cptnemo


If you're the only one to keep your head while everyone else is losing theirs, maybe you just don't know what's going on.

You still haven't explained how the program 'worked'? You don't deny that they use physical abuse. And you don't seem bothered by it either. So I think it's reasonable to assume that you approve.

So... why did you send him off if all he needed was a good ass kicking? Couldn't you do that yourself?

Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die
-- Malachy McCourt

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Cruella

  • Posts: 7
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2005, 04:38:00 PM »
UPDATE:
My family (mom and sister) went to visit my daughter again at Thayer this past weekend.  I have been on campus 3 times since December 2004.  Visits are held on campus.  

We all have seen remarkable changes in my daughter.  She now stands straight and confident.  She regards everyone with respect.  She was a team leader in boot camp.  She now knows that she CAN accomplish many things without a GUY, just as we told her she could.  She is now working hard in her studies.  She's been to the dentist and continues to go on a monthly basis.  They do community service in the community, off campus.  She has a goal to get through high school and attend college.  She plans on continuing with the exercise after Thayer.

We weren't able to help her here at home because she would pull one of her antics on the days that she had counseling appointments.  My daughter has NOT been abused at Thayer.  She understands why she is there but that doesn't mean she likes it.

She's now working toward a weekend visit in July.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »