Author Topic: My Son At Thayer  (Read 64828 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »
Interesting post.  In Sept.'04, it was talk to him when he is not in Thayer and you will find out he was "brainwashed".  I did, and he is fine, the school worked.

Now, it is talk to him when he is married and has kids.  Then I am to learn Thayer did not work.

I can just see your next resposne -- assuming you are not dead from a drug overdose -- and that is I should now wait to speak with him when he has grandchildren!

The problem for you all is that in at least one case Thayer worked, and you just cannot accept that.  You cannot accept that what some teens need is a large dose of discipline and control to grow up.  When your son starts carrying a gun and selling drugs, better send him to Thayer than read about him in the local paper (or see him on national TV).

Cptnemo
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Invertix

• View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 01:25:00 PM »
Statistically speaking there are going to be people who get 'reformed' by the program. (though I believe a small percentage) The question is can you really abuse someone at present, and use the excuse that it's for their own good. Can you abuse someone against their will at all no matter how good your intentions and motives are?

If we start thinking that the ends justify the means, then you sacrifice a part of your morality. It's not a philosophy that I would ascribe to.

Offline 001010

• View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 01:41:00 PM »
On 2005-04-21 07:42:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Interesting post.  In Sept.'04, it was talk to him when he is not in Thayer and you will find out he was "brainwashed".  I did, and he is fine, the school worked.

Now, it is talk to him when he is married and has kids.  Then I am to learn Thayer did not work.

I can just see your next resposne -- assuming you are not dead from a drug overdose -- and that is I should now wait to speak with him when he has grandchildren!

The problem for you all is that in at least one case Thayer worked, and you just cannot accept that.  You cannot accept that what some teens need is a large dose of discipline and control to grow up.  When your son starts carrying a gun and selling drugs, better send him to Thayer than read about him in the local paper (or see him on national TV).

Cptnemo"

You bought it all, didn't you?  :cry:

If it's worth it to you to expose you child to cult tactics, abuse, and deny him free will and identity then it is you I feel pity for, and him I feel saddened for. He will question what happened to him later on in life, so don't be surprised, and be ready to apologize.
[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »
On 2005-04-21 07:42:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Interesting post.  In Sept.'04, it was talk to him when he is not in Thayer and you will find out he was "brainwashed".  I did, and he is fine, the school worked.

Cptnemo"

first, I was NOT here in September 04, so get your facts straight.  If I wasn'nt here in 04, I couldn't have said that to you.

secondly, who are you to presume that I do drugs?  that is totally absurd!  I dont recall any my postings getting "personal" like that with YOU and making allegations about YOU, for which I have no basis.  But, then again, we know where the root of that always comes from, when someone is defenseless, they try to turn the tables on the other person and attack THEIR credibility because they know they have NO DEFENSES.

thirdly, your saying they need discipline and control?  why weren't you providing that?

fourth, yes, I did say, talk to me in a few years, because it is is a known fact that the brainwashing those people do come back to haunt you a few years down the road!  Have you even bothered to read any of the posts from the survivors?

fifth, you have still yet to show us these post you made in sep. 04, until then, you are only a few days old to this board, have only a couple of posts, and probably work for or are related to the Bundys!  Yes, we all know how they work.  They send their moles onto this board to try and untarnish the reputation they, themselves have built.

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 04:02:00 PM »
oh, and presuming that by some slim chance that Thayer does happen to do good for a "few select" children, but is it worth it for the sacrifice that the other children endure?  is it worth having a child die, and many, many others abused and neglected so that say 2 out every 100 do good?

Would you sacrifice one child's safety for another?

Obviously you would or you would not be advocating a place that abuses and neglects children.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 11:30:00 PM »
Search for "Cptnemo".  You will find the posts.  Cptnemo

Offline Watchaduen

• View Profile
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BethelAcademyAbuse/
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 12:28:00 AM »
He left for Thayer at 6:00 am on morning. The police came for him at 2:00 pm that afternoon. I explained that he was out of state and that I would not tell them where. The left empty handed and not happy to have missed him.

My son's opinion (not mine, his) is that he would be dead by now if not for Thayer.

Again, my context is most likely very different than yours. So my question is, what would you have done?>>>

The biggest question remains?  Why did you become the Judge, Jury and decide the sentence?  Was there something wrong with letting your son suffer the consequences of his actions?  He was carrying a gun around and the police/justice was planning on holding him accountable.  You, Foolish Parent instead paid enormous amounts of money to have him beaten, tortured and enslaved in a cult.  A place that would later take a child's life.
heryle - My son was TORTURED and ABUSED at Bethel Boys Academy aka Eagle Point Christian Academy, aka Pine View Academy, Lucedale, MS.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 01:48:00 AM »
I am sorry about what happaned to your son.  My context is only about Thayer.  I know nothing of other programs and thus cannot comment.  My son was not treated badly at Thayer and grew from the experience -- a report that it seems no one on this site wants to hear.  Cptnemo

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2005, 03:41:00 PM »
On 2005-04-21 22:48:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am sorry about what happaned to your son.  My context is only about Thayer.  I know nothing of other programs and thus cannot comment.  My son was not treated badly at Thayer and grew from the experience -- a report that it seems no one on this site wants to hear.  Cptnemo"

It's just hard to believe. Why would your son have been treated so differently from all the other kids? I'm tempted to make some off color jokes about that, but I won't.

I can easily understand a lot of different reasons why your son might not tell you the whole truth about Thayer. And those seems a whole lot more likely than that he actually was treated better than all the rest.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of it's victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busy-bodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those that torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0802808689/circleofmianithem' target='_new'> C.S. Lewis, God In The Dock

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2005, 03:49:00 PM »
Cptnemo, what would have happened if the cops had gotten him? He probably would have spent some time in juvy. Talk about discipline and bullying! It would likely have been traumatic. He might even have been raped (it does happen). And, more than likely, he would have turned himself around.

Or what if he had been shot and spent an extended and painful stretch in hospital and physical rehab? That might have had the same effect.

Or what if he had been hit by a bus? Same thing.

Does that make it a good idea to throw a troubled kid out in front of a bus, hoping for that catharsis that near death and adversity sometimes brings? Talk to Roberto Ramerez parents before you go on about how worthwhile the Program has been to your son. He survived it. Good for him! But that doesn't mean it's anything but a desperate, foolish and very expensive scam.

Speak gently! 't is a little thing Dropp'd in the heart's deep well; The good, the joy, that it may bring Eternity shall tell.
-- G. W. Langford: Speak gently.

Offline Watchaduen

• View Profile
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BethelAcademyAbuse/
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2005, 04:27:00 PM »
Honest question, if your son was soooo bad, completely defiant against all adult authority, and next step was prison.  How did Thayer help your son without ever beating or torturing him?  He seen others beaten so he knew it could happen to him?  What made your son get up out of that bed every morning at the crack of dawn to do exercises for a few hours?  A drill instructor screaming in his face?  Why do I doubt that.
In the summer of 2003 the State of Miss. raided Bethel Boys Academy and removed 13 "visibly" abused boys.  These boys did NOT get a choice whether they wanted to leave or not.  Other boys who were being abused wanted to leave, but since there were no current visible signs - no go.  The state takes these boys into custody and their parents are called.  Immediately all the parents come rushing down to Miss.  The boys are to remain in custody until the following Tuesday, when they will testify in George County Youth Court.  One Dad is furious that his son was removed from Bethel.  Now mind you, his son was strangled by a drill instructor and his neck reflects just that (horrible bruising).  No matter, his Dad is mad, his Dad wanted him at Bethel because he needed "help".  His Dad was angry that he had to miss work to get his son and demanded that the state release his child immediately.  I talk to this Dad enroute home with his son (back to the state they live in).  This Dad states his son wasn't really abused and his son hasn't said much.  Hmmmmmm, wonder why?  Move ahead a month and the boy is now living with his Mom.  Dad just wants him sent to another torture chamber.  This boy does have a long list of abuse and torture that he suffered at Bethel Boys Academy.
Could this Dad be the same kind of Dad you are?
heryle - My son was TORTURED and ABUSED at Bethel Boys Academy aka Eagle Point Christian Academy, aka Pine View Academy, Lucedale, MS.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »
Your posting was one of the very few intelligent ones I have read.

You pose a very good question.  Just why did my son get up in the morning, excercise for hours, accept the discipline and come out OK.

By the way, he tells me he was never abused.  Yelled at, made to excercies for hours, not allowed to speak unless spoken to...yes that was part of his program.  But he was never struck or hit in any manner.

But back to your question, why did Thayer turn him around?  I really can't say nor can he.  For the first 3 months he "held his breath" hoping that Mom & Dad would come for him.

Slowly he turned around.  The petulant teen-ager become more reflective and serious.  

There is no brain washing going on at Thayer.  In fact, there is no therapy in the standard sense of the word.  The therapy is excercise and discipline, with a quick connection between actions and consequences.  They did listen to some taped lectures about the lives of famous people, but that was about it.  

Our family is not religious.  They said prayers before meals.  That was about the only religion our son reports.  There was certainly no attempt to convert him to a religion.

Again, I cannot comment on your son's exeriences nor the organization you sent him to.  My only comments regard Thayer, and Thayer alone.

My wife and I speak to our son daily.  We see himm often.  He is doing just fine.  He received an acacemic scholarship to a university and is pulling down straight "A's".

But back to your question, why did it work for him?  In the end, it is all about choices.  I think that during his stay at Thayer he decided that the life he had briefly led -- an armed drug dealer -- was not the life he wanted.  Also, the fact the police showed up hours after he left for Thayer was a strong reality check for him.

What Thayer did is put him in a controlled environment of relentless excercise and strict discipline which allowed this process of maturity to take place.  Why did it work on him and not others?  I just don't know, and I am glad it did.

Cptnemo

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2005, 01:07:00 AM »
On 2005-04-22 17:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

Why did it work on him and not others? I just don't know, and I am glad it did.

So fuck the kids who are hurt by it? Answer me. What is the essential difference between the Thayer way of breaking a person down and any of the other methods that I have suggested as comparisons?

You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.

--Charles Austin Beard

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2005, 01:28:00 AM »
Ginger:  I think you left your program too soon.  Do you think they will take you back?  I will offer a scholarship for you.  Cptnemo

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
My Son At Thayer
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »
That's your answer? I need a little more brainwashing to bring me in line w/ your way of thinking?  :roll:

You have rights atecedent to all earthly governments; rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the Universe.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/7006/rulebook.html' target='_new'>John Adams