Author Topic: what they did to me  (Read 2171 times)

Offline `

• View Profile
what they did to me
« on: April 17, 2005, 09:56:00 AM »
i was out of Straight at the end of August. they had warped my whole self. i sat on the couch with my mother and held her hand. i read childhood books again. i was on ice, as my mother would have put me back in Straight if I had gotten out of line. i went to AA meetings to show her that i was going to be good. i was out of Straight due to the good fortune of not being treated for an obvious medical problem for a week at Straight, followed by high fever and iv drips at Fairfax Hospital for a kidney infection. my mom let me come home after that. maybe she had seen enough of me in the hospital to know that i was toeing the line. in fact, the brainwashing had taken hold well and good. i would not associate with former friends, i went to AA and NA meetings -- i was quite invested with my strict new outlook on people. my first boyfriend saw me at some point within the first few years after Straight, and he described that recently: i was a zombie. i looked like the person he knew, but there was someone else in her body. he said when talking to me back then, it was as though i had a checklist or an application to go through with him before i would talk to him, like if he was drinking or "using".

i had many problems with anxiety after getting out. i was worried a lot about getting in a car wreck, or having some deadly medical thing, also checking locks and that kind of anxiety.

it took me five years of being "clean and sober" before i finally drank alcohol again. it turned out that i did not drink like an alcoholic. i could drink half a beer and not want more, then go months or years before having another drink.

my deepest sadness in my life is that i could not resist the brainwashing. i have felt for a long time that i am a failure because of this. it is a horrible thing to know about yourself. maybe i feel this especially because of what i believed in before Straight. my personal code, so to speak, was all about self-direction, and no respect for authority based solely on fact of rank. this was the material 80s, and i wore whatever crap I felt like to school. once the subschool principal was calling me back and i said "bye" and walked on. i drew sandals on my feet so i didn't have to wear shoes (hoping from a distance they looked like the real thing). :smile:

then i went in Straight.

these days i still feel a vulnerability of mind. it was a professor of mine that took away the definition of brainwashing. he wanted to call it "radical resocialization", or, instead of "cult", call it a "new religious movement". well, really, he didn't want me to approach my historical anthropological exploration of Straight with any preconceived ideas, so that would throw his words out as well. so what do we think brainwashing is? explaining it is a bit like trying to convince someone that magic is possible. i think it is like i was saying to Jane the other day -- and forgive me, i don't know if that post was rude or not but i didn't mean it to be -- Real Jane was not allowed to speak, so she went away. it has been one mystery of the last eighteen years where the real me went, or, did she die. all the dirt Straight washed out of my brain, that was my memories, and included in the memories are my connections to my self, my brothers and sisters from that age, all the things that made me happy. happy! roller skating, and the bumps the cracks in the sidewalk made. swinging so high you get that moment of slack in the chains. bicycling around and around the grass island in the neighborhood parking lot. banana seat bicycles! flags on the back post, plastic woven baskets. mine was pink. i want my dirt back.

Straight filled up my mind with a whole lot of thoughts that were just reactions to anxiety related to the underlying question of what i could think and how to think it in my head so i did not get in trouble later. for example, say i thought of copping out by going through the screen door and climbing off the deck, then i would realize i thought that, then i would add thoughts to it, like how scared i was that i was going to find my druggie friends and get high, then that "good" thought is on the end of the copping-out thought, all ready to tell in just that way so i would be found innocent. this was my mind. those were bad years.

i don't know why the memories are hard to get. maybe Straight terrorized me so much that my brain was trained to stay out of the memory circuits.

some training in my brain messed up other things, too. i was an A student in English the year before Straight, when i went to class anyway. my professor thought my papers were outstanding. then after Straight i came back, i guess i got an A anyway, but she and i both knew something was not the same about the way i wrote. i was trained by Straight to write from the lying patterns they laid down in my thought circuits.

so it was not just training me to believe i was a diseased drug addict and alcoholic (utterly absurd given my drug and alcohol use), Straight was zapping my mind and emotions so much, it was messing with even deeper circuits dealing with creativity, purpose, happiness, connection to people and history, the ability to remember, the line connecting me from the very beginning, through all the childhood and teenage years, to my present self. my history, as contained in my memories, which gave me my self-conception, the true one that came from my own life, had been destroyed. the line was destroyed, the line of self knowing self. i became self unknowing self.

don't know if this makes sense, don't care. not everyone's reality is going to be the same. this is a decription of my reality.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
what they did to me
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »
Yeah, it makes sense.  :cry:

For the most part we inherit our opinions. We are the heirs of habits and mental customs. Our beliefs, like the fashion of our garments, depend on where we were born. We are molded and fashioned by our surroundings.
--Environment is a sculptor -- a painter.

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline groovy1634

• View Profile
what they did to me
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »
you make sense....i think people that have been through straight would especially be able to relate in some form...
 :razz:
EOW  

Offline linchpin

• View Profile
what they did to me
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »
they took my soul...my self esteem ...split my family into 3 factions that all hate me anyway..
  sister still refers to me as druggie brother.
  I suffer from extreme agorophobia..and paranoia with a nice side of violence.
  When I see people looking at me in stores or malls for more than a spilt second I become aggresive and confrontational...my girlfriend has to constantly talk me back to normal.
  "the fuck you looking at" is usually what comes out of my mouth..
 I dont wanna be like this ...but am ..I have fantasies of killing people from my program and myself....constantly..Id say I spend about 3 hours or so a day daydreaming about hunting people down and wrecking them and then blowing my brains out.

Been in 12 behavioral/psych/drug rehabs....prison...and jails in more places than I can count... I have a record as long as my arm..and its hard for me to get work..
  Relationships and friendships are a struggle ..I cant trust anyone...Im slowly learning to..but am unforgiving and relentless when I feel threatened or disrespected.
  I am vindictive and spiteful..
 When I got out of straight I was scared of everyone and couldnt go into malls etc..that turned to hate as I got older..grew from a skinny little boy into a man orphaned to the dope and streets and jails.
 It toughened me up and turned all that fear into blind rage.
 I have been fired from numerous jobs for assaulting co workers.

Sometimes I think about killing myself...at least 2 times a month or more I fall into almost suicidal depression..I readily admit that I fucking hate myself..
  My stupid bullshit thoughts and loser fucking life. ometimes I dont know why Im bothering to get off the methadone...for what to never have a career ...to be ditched by everyone?
  I have one person in my life I care for and love..other than that person I see no point in life..
  thanks straight...oh and Im still not sober.
 I hadnt even done any drugs at 12 when i went to straight...12 fucking years old...12! you motherfuckers that were 17 or so and relentlessly abused me...hope and pray you never cross my path.
  I do ...because I dont wanna go back to jail for  fucking up some worthless ex staffer...but probably will because I see red and attack.

those that were victims such as myself ( I was 12 and managed to not abuse anyone why the fuck didnt you staffers? brooks? kathy david? care to answer?..guess my little 12 year old mind was stronger) I hope you can find peace and cope better than I have ...

trying my best not to lose this war but its hard to keep it together.
img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Toothfairy_TP/u100.gif[/img]

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
what they did to me
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 05:08:00 PM »
My brother once described it as that they stole my personality.

He that lives upon hope will die fasting
--Benjamin Franklin 1758

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what they did to me
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 09:48:00 PM »
It's weird how we all beat ourselves up for either complying or noncomplying. I on the other hand went back to my old ways as soon as I graduated. I skipped school one week after graduating straight. I beat myself  up for a long time because I wasn't the good kid I was supposed to be after leaving straight. I kept playing their mantra over and over in my head about how sure they were I'd "relapse" and yes I did in their minds.

I'm so happy those chapters in my life are in the past. When I was in there I felt so damn hopeless like I'd never come home. i would constantly day dream about how good life was going to be when I made it out of there. I just wanted to be me and have no one bothering me about being me.

Krystene

Offline Gah

• View Profile
what they did to me
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 12:54:00 AM »
[ This Message was edited by: Ex5k on 2005-06-14 14:47 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what they did to me
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 03:42:00 PM »
On 2005-04-17 06:56:00, fka wrote:

"i was out of Straight at the end of August. they had warped my whole self. i sat on the couch with my mother and held her hand. i read childhood books again. i was on ice, as my mother would have put me back in Straight if I had gotten out of line. i went to AA meetings to show her that i was going to be good. i was out of Straight due to the good fortune of not being treated for an obvious medical problem for a week at Straight, followed by high fever and iv drips at Fairfax Hospital for a kidney infection. my mom let me come home after that. maybe she had seen enough of me in the hospital to know that i was toeing the line. in fact, the brainwashing had taken hold well and good. i would not associate with former friends, i went to AA and NA meetings -- i was quite invested with my strict new outlook on people. my first boyfriend saw me at some point within the first few years after Straight, and he described that recently: i was a zombie. i looked like the person he knew, but there was someone else in her body. he said when talking to me back then, it was as though i had a checklist or an application to go through with him before i would talk to him, like if he was drinking or "using".

i had many problems with anxiety after getting out. i was worried a lot about getting in a car wreck, or having some deadly medical thing, also checking locks and that kind of anxiety.

it took me five years of being "clean and sober" before i finally drank alcohol again. it turned out that i did not drink like an alcoholic. i could drink half a beer and not want more, then go months or years before having another drink.

my deepest sadness in my life is that i could not resist the brainwashing. i have felt for a long time that i am a failure because of this. it is a horrible thing to know about yourself. maybe i feel this especially because of what i believed in before Straight. my personal code, so to speak, was all about self-direction, and no respect for authority based solely on fact of rank. this was the material 80s, and i wore whatever crap I felt like to school. once the subschool principal was calling me back and i said "bye" and walked on. i drew sandals on my feet so i didn't have to wear shoes (hoping from a distance they looked like the real thing). :smile:

then i went in Straight.

these days i still feel a vulnerability of mind. it was a professor of mine that took away the definition of brainwashing. he wanted to call it "radical resocialization", or, instead of "cult", call it a "new religious movement". well, really, he didn't want me to approach my historical anthropological exploration of Straight with any preconceived ideas, so that would throw his words out as well. so what do we think brainwashing is? explaining it is a bit like trying to convince someone that magic is possible. i think it is like i was saying to Jane the other day -- and forgive me, i don't know if that post was rude or not but i didn't mean it to be -- Real Jane was not allowed to speak, so she went away. it has been one mystery of the last eighteen years where the real me went, or, did she die. all the dirt Straight washed out of my brain, that was my memories, and included in the memories are my connections to my self, my brothers and sisters from that age, all the things that made me happy. happy! roller skating, and the bumps the cracks in the sidewalk made. swinging so high you get that moment of slack in the chains. bicycling around and around the grass island in the neighborhood parking lot. banana seat bicycles! flags on the back post, plastic woven baskets. mine was pink. i want my dirt back.

Straight filled up my mind with a whole lot of thoughts that were just reactions to anxiety related to the underlying question of what i could think and how to think it in my head so i did not get in trouble later. for example, say i thought of copping out by going through the screen door and climbing off the deck, then i would realize i thought that, then i would add thoughts to it, like how scared i was that i was going to find my druggie friends and get high, then that "good" thought is on the end of the copping-out thought, all ready to tell in just that way so i would be found innocent. this was my mind. those were bad years.

i don't know why the memories are hard to get. maybe Straight terrorized me so much that my brain was trained to stay out of the memory circuits.

some training in my brain messed up other things, too. i was an A student in English the year before Straight, when i went to class anyway. my professor thought my papers were outstanding. then after Straight i came back, i guess i got an A anyway, but she and i both knew something was not the same about the way i wrote. i was trained by Straight to write from the lying patterns they laid down in my thought circuits.

so it was not just training me to believe i was a diseased drug addict and alcoholic (utterly absurd given my drug and alcohol use), Straight was zapping my mind and emotions so much, it was messing with even deeper circuits dealing with creativity, purpose, happiness, connection to people and history, the ability to remember, the line connecting me from the very beginning, through all the childhood and teenage years, to my present self. my history, as contained in my memories, which gave me my self-conception, the true one that came from my own life, had been destroyed. the line was destroyed, the line of self knowing self. i became self unknowing self.

don't know if this makes sense, don't care. not everyone's reality is going to be the same. this is a decription of my reality.

"

When you say "THEY" in the context of what THEY did to me, fka, do you mean your parents?  THEY put you there, no?

Offline 001010

• View Profile
what they did to me
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 04:14:00 PM »
You are a beautiful person, fka. Your words are poetic, heart breaking, and TRUE.

*And to the last post, NO, she's referring to the thought police aka The Straight STAFF monsters.
[size=79]EST (Landmark/Lifespring/Discovery) \'83
Salesmanship Club \'84-\'86
Straight, Inc. \'86-\'88[/size]

Offline `

• View Profile
what they did to me
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 04:31:00 PM »
On 2005-04-19 13:14:00, 001010 wrote:

"You are a beautiful person, fka. Your words are poetic, heart breaking, and TRUE.

*And to the last post, NO, she's referring to the thought police aka The Straight STAFF monsters.

"

thank you, how nice!

and, you are correct i am referring to the thought police.

:smile:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what they did to me
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
::bump:: .

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
what they did to me
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »
I think about suicide at least once a day. Today I was driving over a very tall bridge and thought to stop my car & just jump. I, obviously, didn't do it.

Just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one that has those thoughts...every damn day!

St Pete 80/81