Author Topic: DARE kicked out of NH School  (Read 2527 times)

Offline ScottM

• View Profile
DARE kicked out of NH School
« on: December 01, 2001, 12:29:09 PM »
I was in NH yesterday and read an article about how the Portsmouth NH school system is getting rid of DARE and switching to a longer (3 year) program called Life Skills. Has anyone ever heard of this program? New Hampshire is a major critic of DARE from other articles I've read. There are even investigations regarding fraud in some towns. I'm going to poke around and see what I can find.

-Scott

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2001, 02:23:52 PM »
Re: DARE kicked out of NH School
I'm real interested in what you find out about life skills training.  The only thing that sounds like to me is a day-long seminar that we took after we 7-stepped in STraight. :-(

Kathy

Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline gr8ful2aarc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2001, 02:37:17 PM »
Seven stepped?
Does that mean after you finished Step 7 you had to go around schools and other places to talk about Staight?

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2001, 02:38:43 PM »
Re: Seven stepped?
Sure does mean that.

Kathy

Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline sullyceltic

• View Profile
    • http://www.nba.com/celtics
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM »
hey scott!
hey scott buddy!!! i'm in boston this week!! your cell phone was still not working the last time i tried. what is up? wanna hook up for lunch tomorrow? how's your girlfriend? how about those CELTICS baby!!?!?!?!?!? 2nd place in the atlantic!!!!

oh, i wanted to tell you something too.... while i was at the Celts game wednesday night, you know how they welcome different groups to the fleetcenter...? well one of the groups that had their name up on the jumbotron was E___ School!!! remember all those threads many months ago?

anyway, just kind of interesting...

12 or 13 years ago, that could have been us on a, what did they call it, "5th phase outing"? that would be funny... "please welcome, the kids from straight, incorporated" - and then we'd all stand up and cheer - brainwashed so that we were trained to behave like that - never say anything bad about the program, right???

anyway, call me or email me... remember my number???? my email is [email protected]

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2001, 09:38:25 PM »
New and Improved DARE
Looks like the same crap to me. "Teach your kids to be completely paranoid about the evil of drugs (uhh.... except for those that the school nurse gives them... ). Surveil their every move and mood change, and make sure they don't even make eye contact with any kid who isn't properly paranoid about drug use. Above all else, make sure every day to blow the perceived danger out of all preportion. You may wind up with a kid who's totally neurotic and who's a little frightened of you on some level. But at least they won't do drugs until they're of legal age. Then they can self medicate to compensate for their traumatic adolescence.."

What business dos the government have administering psychotherapy to students anyway? What's wrong with parents raising kids without professional help? Most of the 6 billion of us had no professional help creating them, after all.

-If there's a worse idea going than locking kids up for victimless crimes, it's probably locking them in close proximity to some tyrannical altruist bent on helping them even if it kills them.
http://fornits.com/anonanon/'>Anonymity Anonymous

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2002, 03:32:00 PM »
One of the problems with Euphemismistic names like Life-Skills-Training is that you never know whether it is some sort of cooky brainwashing activity or cult, or a relatively beneign anti-drug edu-propoganda class.

DARE has been under the micro-scope for some time. It has been well established it does not work, and it has become a high profit enterprise for the group of police officers who started it. It does not make distinctions between marijuana and more dangerous drugs, and its abstinence only scare tactic approach backfires after the kids begin to think for themselves and try a few puffs of pot and then wonder if DARE lied about the dangers of all the drugs.

The other problem with DARE is that it has cops giving out medical information, which most kids can see just does not make much sense. Finally there have been numerous reports that kids are stigmatized when they present an opposing viewpoint to that of DARE during their so-called discussions. Kids who have been brought up to beleive that the drug war is wrong and publically humiliated.

You only have to go to a rave or a rock concert to see how many party-goers wear their DARE T-shirts while they are high as a kite.
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"