Author Topic: Highly Irresponsible!  (Read 4021 times)

Offline LIFE 82

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« on: October 25, 2002, 08:55:00 PM »
Many of us have gone years with no "straight" contact,only to stumble upon this internet stuff describing experiences long past.We want the info,thats why we were looking for it in the first place.I was looking for HELP.Its not just morbid curiosity,its people seeking help because of a program that tore our souls so far apart so many years ago.It is not good to provide "us" with all of this information without providing clear LINK to contact someone about help.I have contacted a few of this survivors and they have given me what little information they had about people that can help.I think it would be better if that information ,HOWEVER SMALL,was available as a link on this (and other straight)website so that the people can find help by themselves.WHAT A MISH MASH.So much information.Most of it from people hawking thier books and political views without any information about help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline LIFE 82

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2002, 09:10:00 PM »
I guess I should offer some help.If you want to find a website that can help you then check out http://www.lonelyplanet.com CLICK on "branches".Its the only thing that ever made me feel better,but you have to do more that read the site,you must get involved,you must act if you are to benifit.
Following the instructions on the website http://www.lonelyplanet.com will at least give you temporary relief from your pain.

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2002, 09:37:00 PM »
Get a therapist. There ARE good therapists out there. I'm lucky to have found one. This website has its negative aspects, which have been amply illustrated in several of the threads over the last couple of weeks. You need to feel safe. A good therapist can help you make conscious connections between what happened to you in Straight and how that influences your behavior and emotional well-being today. You will not get all the help you need here. My advice would be to check out all the therapists on your insurance plan...find out who specializes in PTSD-type issues. If you have no insurance, many therapists work on a sliding scale. It's worth the effort. I wish you well. Kris
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2002, 10:47:00 PM »
The journey into my past has been weird.  I am glad I know a good shrink. If you live in an area which had a straight program, most GOOD therapists know all too much already about it.  My guy threw me for a loop when he told me he had had more than one post straight client .
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2002, 08:34:00 AM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2002, 08:40:00 AM »

Offline dreammagician

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2002, 08:51:00 AM »
Welp, I don't know what some shrink would do to help me. One of my best friends is a shrink that I grew up with. He looked like Jesus Christ with hair down to his ass and a long beard before he started his practice. He's an old druggie friend who is cool and I've know his entire family for life. One day, he tried to sit me down and antalize me. I told him to mind his own damn business and fuck off. I don't need know more shirinking, had enough of it in straight. I don't like listening very well, althought I am a damn good one. I know straight fucked us all up, but on the positive side maybe we can get together and just support the face that we're not the only one in the world who has to put up with it. I always thought it was odd all the time, 3 and a half years, and after the program, no therapy, just kicked to the streets to fuck up like newton said we would with the antisupport of a loving strong love family, I can't take it. We're all just straight screw ups, face it and live with it. I have now for some 20 plus years and I don't think it's gonna change tommorrow, know what I mean jelly bean./

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2002, 09:48:00 AM »
The main job of a therapist is NOT to analyze, but to assist and guide a patient/client, through thoughtful self analysis, in establishing a conscious connection between issues from the past and how they impact one's present life. By recognizing these connections, a person gains insight and can then begin to work through his/her issues. Many of us have experienced extreme distrust of any type of counseling, perceiving it as more mind control. Not everyone needs a therapist. However, anyone experiencing psychic pain related to PTSD/anxiety is fragile and requires a safe environment, free from confrontation or criticism, in order to begin working through those issues. Neither this forum nor a group of Straight survivors can CONSISTENTLY provide that type of support. I would not discount the value of therapy as an adjunct to the healing process, but deeply understand the reluctance toward seeking this type of help. I wish us all well.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2002, 11:35:00 AM »
I'm with Dreammagician on this one.

This forum and these sites were not established specifically to provide therapy or recomendations to therapy. They were established to help people, whether survivors or interested outsiders, who want to discuss and to find info about the Program get at the info to do so.

It's not that I don't care. I do feel badly for anyone who experiences pain from being reminded of this stuff. But I know my limitations. I can offer some insight, info, sometimes understanding and occasionally even hope. But I can't fix you. It's all most people can do in this life to fix ourselves--not just Program survivors, either, that goes for anyone.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2002, 12:12:00 PM »
There have been quite a few posts from people describing a syndrome of sleeplessness, depression, listlessness, etc. after discovering this site. I went through it myself and was lucky enough to have a professional to discuss it with. For each "tough" Straight survivor, there is another who is teetering on the edge of hopelessness. Like it or not, this is serious stuff. Marc Shelton's final post was a real wake up call. The reality is, people DO come here seeking help. Many are extremely fragile because their memories, which have been asleep for 20 years, are awakened all of a sudden. Some folks are overwhelmed. Like I said, therapy is not for everybody. But, everyone deserves a shot at rebuilding their self-esteem somehow. Complacency is unacceptable--there are still lives at stake.

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2002, 12:10:00 AM »
Antigen said "It's all most people can do in this life to fix ourselves...".
Didn't Marc just do that?  I mean, he sounded like somebody limiting his intake of overwhelming information to what he can handle at this point in time. Yeah, we ALL know what the first weeks of reading these posts are like....
I first found stuff about Straight online in 1996.  I promptly deleted the bookmark and didn't look for it again until may of this year.  I was not ready.
 Bill
Bill H
12/80-12/82

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2002, 09:31:00 AM »
I have been to therapists since 4th grade and I can tell you one thing. No therapist that I've seen or talked to can even begin to comprehend what I've been through in Straight, for me, the message boards like this one work and I have struggled having major flashbacks.
Since I've been posting and relating to being there, I have found the flashbacks are less and I'm a bit more in control of when they happen. They still happen, but not as bad.
I'm just thankful that this site is here to help me. Not saying that this is the way to go to overcome this problem, it just works for me.
usan Minns

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2002, 10:26:00 PM »
Wow
I've tried hard *not* to think about Straight these last few years.  Something at work got me on a line of thinking that (typically) leads back to my being re-grooved in that place - St. Pete and the VA sites.  My brother mentioned Leigh Bright and her lawsuit.  That led me to this site today.
Wow
I fixed my head by going totally Daniel Boone for a year.  Took years to forget most.  I still see elements of the "conditioning" I received there.  Just can't get away from some things I guess.

Reading these various threads is like a dark cruise  from a bad trip.  I've never talked about this stuff in detail...to anyone...not even mom & dad.  

I finished the program.  Went off to school, tried to find support in AA and NA.  Straight invited me to be refreshed.  I refused.  They even rounded up my friends to pressure me, but I was wise to their tricks by then and cut off the posse at the pass.  By the time they showed for my confrontation, I was already terminated and they weren't allowed to talk to me anymore.

I remember them, some I even kept up with for a year or so.  I also remember Leigh, mercifully, I don't remember her bathroom incident. I'm so sad about Lurae, I fostered at her house occasionally.  Lived out of a duffle for 18mos+5 days before the program moved to VA.  I remember hoping continually I'd wake up from the bad dream and wishing for sleep.

I'm not ready to join any movements.  Maybe I'll talk about it to you folks that were there.  I survived.  Tried to integrate the good and toss out the bad.  Not entirely successful, I was re-grooved. Try actively to keep involved with my kids, so they'll talk to me, bypass some of my mistakes.  Recognize the dysfunction and cut it off at the pass too.  

Yeah, the adults were highly irresponsible.  Totally whacked, in fact IMO.  Still, I'm responsible for my choices and must live with them.  I chose then to think, proceed to assorted other bad moves, then forget and move on, never speaking of my incarceration.  I choose now to remember, maybe there will be some value to be gained in the retrospect.
Thanks for the dark ride, it was interesting.
TM

Offline Shelby

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2002, 10:56:00 PM »
If you remember Leigh Bright and were in St. Pete AND VA, then we served together. You may remember my brother Tracy, too. Email me if you want to

Shelby Cornwell
[email protected]

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Highly Irresponsible!
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2002, 11:39:00 PM »
I am jogging your initials around in my formerly resinated head and drawing blanks.  We were in at the same time, amount of time, and you remember me.  If you wish to,drop me an email:
[email protected]
Bill
Bill H
12/80-12/82