Author Topic: Raps  (Read 4852 times)

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
Raps
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 11:01:00 AM »
We got one small styrofoam cup of soup with the baloney sammich at dinner. I'm gessing it was was a 4 or 6 oz. cup. What I can't remember is the method of delivery? Did we get to walk to the back of the room to pick it up? Probably not.  Was it passed from person to person down the row?  Surely they did not hand it to us one at a time.  Isn't is strange I can remeber the tastes and smells of the place but I can't remember how it came ot me?

Hey, I know from reading here that the people who made the food and volunteered time and resources had their hearts in the right place and could not have know how their generosity was twisted into something else.  With the right kind of planning just about anything can be used as a weapon.  

Food for thought.... :idea:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Raps
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 12:10:00 PM »
On 2005-04-12 18:55:00, GregFL wrote:

"

On 2005-04-12 15:20:00, RTP2003 wrote:

"Maybe not all of them are actively abusive, but they are at least passively abusive in that they demand the subversion of the individual will to the will of the group or of a "higher power" (which may BE the group in some TCs).  This is degrading and dehumanizing, and, I think, worse than the physical abuse that goes on in many TCs."

Agreed!  I think the focus on overt abuse..for example Miller Newton and his lawsuit settlements, really is counterproductive to the real insidious underlying problem with all these programs,especially when they take involuntarily clients and bend their minds against their will under the guise of "helping" them."

My heros! Seriously. I've come to the same conclusion. Never did like the idea of litigation, though people I well respect and admire have gone that way. So I've hunkered and watched, occasionally tossing in a blow-by-blow. But now, more than ever, I'm convinced that there's little value in tort law to help this situation. Still not willing to say none, though. I mean, the lawsuits do generate publicity, and that's what I think we need here.

I think this is a big problem in dealing w/ WWASP, too. They can only sue over the really overt, over-the-top physical abuse; the kind that leaves physical, documentable evidence for months or years. But that's not the day-to-day reality in most of their facilities. Instead of sending a kid to the floor or a timeout room for a little roughing up, they send them to Jamaica.

So all they have to do to confuse the audience and refute the critics is draw on a few participants who never had their arm twisted behind their back or their chin smashed on a concrete floor. And, just as it's always been, the beat goes on and these kids get out and can't even understand, far less describe, what happened to them.

Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction- faith in fiction is a damnable false hope.
--Thomas Edison, American inventor

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline `

• View Profile
Raps
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 10:27:00 PM »
::rocker::  many excellent posts here.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Raps
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 10:28:00 PM »
Stripe, In St Pete, they would bring the coolers to the end of the row and pass the samwhich down to the end so everyone would touch it, then the kewl-aide in little cups, and if you were lucky, real real lucky, a cookie or two.

NO SECONDS DRUGGIES!

Hope that helps...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Raps
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 10:32:00 PM »
except the food posts! i'm getting queasy, you guys!

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Raps
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »

It seems likely that most of the poloticos and celebrity-set who push these programs might only see the "perfect" (read programmed) end result.  It's that day-in, day-out crushing, mind-numbing manipulation that gets conveniently overlooked in the drive for a drug-free amerikan culture.

does anybody know what happend to Jeb Bush's "drug addicted" daughter who was making such a splash during his first term?  Was she ever put in one of these programs - or is the nitty, gritty synanon/seed/straight treatment model reserved only for the have-nots?

[ This Message was edited by: Stripe on 2005-04-12 16:00 ]"

Well, yes and no. To some, they believe the price is worth it..so for example..ambassador mel sembler and family put a grandkid to a direct seed deritive program and create a second generation seedling with a dirty secret..this just a couple years ago. You may be aware that he was the director of straight Inc.

Familiar with the Michael Skakel case? He, a Kennedy family member, was placed in Elan (which is where they supposedly made him wear signs around his neck that said something to the affect of "I am a filthy murderer"). Of course, they never violated his "anonimity until some 30 years later.

Carol Burnett's Kid...Parris Hilton...this list goes on and on...all did time in  synanon derivitive programs coming down the CEDU or WWASP chain of spinoffs.

Oh yeah, Jeb's kid. Wizzed right by SAFE (The Seed Indeed circa 2005) and instead went to some other 12 step program in the Orlando area.. this while Jeb sat on the board of directors of SAFE..kind of hypocritical don't you think?

Offline Fran

• View Profile
Raps
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »
Actually in the back of my mind I remember helping out in the kitchen area ST 84 making sandwiches...either bologna (which I  have not eaten in over 30 years) and pbj. I don't remember why I was allowed to go help??? But I remember looking forward to it so I wouldn't have to be in the rap area.
And I remember looking forward to eating because I think we didn't have to rap during it...and of course smoking on the hour.
I remember exercise to be jumping jacks...and sitting outside for oldtimers? meetings...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Raps
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 03:15:00 AM »
In the Cleveland seed 76-77 we filled row by row to a table in the back to get our food.  Early on the food was horrible, wet flat pb&j, one sandwich cookie and coolaid.  Later we started getting some soup as well and sometimes better food.  Food was provided by parents who made and delivered it to the program.  Some parents, like my mother--a born hostess, started bringing in food that was beyond the minimum expectation.  Those parents, according to my mother, started being asked to bring food more often.

Someone wrote above that they thought it was strange how they could remember the taste of the food but not how they got it.  Not strange to me, for the longest time all I could remember vividly about the seed were things around the edges like the pattern on the tiles, the shape of the chairs, the smell of a lemon sandwich cookie.  My memory was nibbling around the edges of the experience, remembering those things that were least likely to connect to something painful.   The smell of that sandwich cookie corresponded to a half hour or so when the rap would stop, when we would play charades,when I didn't have to have my hand up.

I am sometimes amazed at the recilience of that young girl.  I somehow found beauty, and pleasure while I was submerged in humilation and terror.  I think that ability ultimately protected me so I had the strength to get through, and get away.

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
Raps
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 11:29:00 AM »
I think that the sensory deprivation intensified the small details...

the smell and taste of PB&J sandwiches (soggy)
the spoon scraping on the bottom of a big aluminum pot for one small styrofoam cup of weak Koolaid
the harsh taste and smell of the cigarettes I smoked on the hour (merits)
the sound of traffic going by in the world I had left behind
the smell of the sheets of the bed where I slept when I was dropped off at one of the apartments at 5:00 am (we had an elaborate system that meant I was up before dawn)
I remember all of my oldcomers cars - an Old Delta 88, a '68 Camero convertable, white Karmen Ghia
I can remember every detail and expression of the staff, from smiles to frowns, and the hypnotic rhythm of their voices
sunlight slanting across the brown floor tiles in the upstairs rap room, or the look of the paneling and carpeting in the basement

I have these sense memories, more than anything else
ally Gator

Offline Napolean Bonafart

• View Profile
    • http://electriclarryland.spaces.live.com/lists/
Raps
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »
Strange, but I've actually aquired a taste for fried bologna and cheese from the seed, and fried liver from the VA. :nworthy:

Every man thinks God is on his side. The rich and powerful know he is.
--Jean Anouilh, French dramatist and playwright

quot;Thank you peanut gallery\"