Author Topic: Bath, Maine, Child Abuse, Hyde School  (Read 18085 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Bath, Maine, Child Abuse, Hyde School
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 10:52:00 AM »
On 2005-05-25 19:18:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I currently attend Hyde, in Maine. Although at first I thought it was cult like and about brainwashing too, I have come to love it. I would probably be a druggie on the street, or even dead somewhere if it wasnt for Hyde. Everyone is intitled to thier own opinion, of course, but personally I love Hyde and everythiong it's done for me. I just finished my first year, and I cannot wait to go back! :grin: "
Either this is a joke or Hyde's brainwashing is exceptionally effective...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 11:24:00 AM »
The truth is for some kids Hyde is the first time in their lives their parents have played an active role. Hyde requires this!

On the other hand, Hyde is very distructive and sick in the way they run their seminars, FLC's, etc.

What can one say?  The only thing one can do is try to get the legislature to enact rules and regulations for all boarding schools. Complain to your Congressmen. Hyde like many of the other troubled teen programs does what they want without regard to legalities or rules that govern public schools.

Speaking of legalities, is anyone aware of the rape of a certain son of a headmaster?  WHY did someone who professes character and integrity not report this to the authorities when it happened? I feel very sorry for this poor kid, not being able to count on his own parents to protect him!  

This did not happen 30 years ago when the world was different!  Shame on Hyde and all that covered this up!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »
It's hard to believe what you are saying about a rape intentionally not being reported.  Has anyone else heard about this?

Offline HydeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 01:30:00 PM »
On 2005-10-02 09:57:00, Anonymous wrote:

"It's hard to believe what you are saying about a rape intentionally not being reported.  Has anyone else heard about this?"

Yes, yes, its all true.  Raped by aliens no less.  Did you see the story in the Star?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 03:57:00 PM »
Wrong, how about raped by other boys at Bath?  Wasn't that many years ago either!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2005, 11:41:00 PM »
Hey HydeFan, why don't you have the courage to ask a certain headmaster whether it is true that his son was gang raped while at the Bath Campus.  He spoke about it in group and I seriously doubt he made it up!  What irks me is how they chose never to call in the authorities

Offline HydeFan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 02:42:00 AM »
On 2005-10-02 20:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hey HydeFan, why don't you have the courage to ask a certain headmaster whether it is true that his son was gang raped while at the Bath Campus.  He spoke about it in group and I seriously doubt he made it up!  What irks me is how they chose never to call in the authorities"

So you are saying Joe Gauld spoke up in a group and said his son was gang raped at Hyde.  Or was it Malcolm who spoke up?  (Or does Malcolm have a son?)

And you think I lack courage for not asking an alledged raped victim to revisit his 30-year old trauma, let alone make the inquiry for your salacious purposes?

Many crime victims chose not to call the authorities.  Are you irked by them to?

Even if what you say is true, I don't think its relevant today, and I'm sure it caused untold grief and suffering.  I would never inquire about such a thing our of descency and respect.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2006, 07:28:00 PM »
Hyde tried to start a school in our town several years ago and it sounds as if they haven't changed much.  They attempted to strip many parents and students of their dignity and used humiliation tactics..  They seemed to use the methods of Werner Ehrhardt, a self-styled leader in the 70's who believed in pulling yourself up by the bootstraps at the expense of others around you and using your personal power to climb over the backs of others.  We met friends whose daughter never got the help she needed for her learning disabilities and was put off by having to stand on the stage at graduation and line up according to how they(each student)felt they had produced at Hyde.  Not having much self-esteem, the daughter put herself last and never forgot the experience.
    I'd investigate some of these places where they say they have schools.  I spoke with a guidance counselor at another school where they tried to make inroads and she said that they were told so many lies and the Hyde standards were so low that they drove them out.  Two former staff members told me that Hyde used the same tactics on them and the spouse of one won't even mention the school's name.  
     At a meeting to set up their school at our school, I asked Joe Gauld if it was true that students who committed any infraction of the rules was shunned for days, something I consider to be cruel.  He was stunned that any parent had heard of this, quickly looked away and said he hadn't heard of that....on to the next question.
      Parents who are scared are vulnerable.  Hyde preys on the vulnerable.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »
In answer to the person who spoke of gang rape, although it is true that some persons are afraid to call in the authorities, it can be difficult but extremely healing to know that this was a crime and acknowledged by the authorities to be such.  No good school would ever let something like that go.  This also encourages a sick subculture to continue to bully people.  Bullying and never responding out of weakness are hallmarks of the Hyde School.  The two anonymous teachers I spoke with years ago said that some kids were helped at that school but most weren't.
Some were really harmed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »
On 2006-02-05 16:33:00, Anonymous wrote:

"In answer to the person who spoke of gang rape, although it is true that some persons are afraid to call in the authorities, it can be difficult but extremely healing to know that this was a crime and acknowledged by the authorities to be such.  No good school would ever let something like that go.  This also encourages a sick subculture to continue to bully people.  Bullying and never responding out of weakness are hallmarks of the Hyde School.  The two anonymous teachers I spoke with years ago said that some kids were helped at that school but most weren't.

Some were really harmed.  "

Our family has heard many of the same things about  the Hyde School.  That is, the school has helped some kids and families, but overall Hyde's record is very bad.  Large numbers of students leave the school.  Many parents seem to be very dissatisfied with the school and there are lots of rumors about emotional abuse and low quality, unqualified staff.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »
On 2006-02-05 16:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hyde tried to start a school in our town several years ago and it sounds as if they haven't changed much.  They attempted to strip many parents and students of their dignity and used humiliation tactics..  They seemed to use the methods of Werner Ehrhardt, a self-styled leader in the 70's who believed in pulling yourself up by the bootstraps at the expense of others around you and using your personal power to climb over the backs of others.  We met friends whose daughter never got the help she needed for her learning disabilities and was put off by having to stand on the stage at graduation and line up according to how they(each student)felt they had produced at Hyde.  Not having much self-esteem, the daughter put herself last and never forgot the experience.

I'd investigate some of these places where they say they have schools.  I spoke with a guidance counselor at another school where they tried to make inroads and she said that they were told so many lies and the Hyde standards were so low that they drove them out.  Two former staff members told me that Hyde used the same tactics on them and the spouse of one won't even mention the school's name.  

At a meeting to set up their school at our school, I asked Joe Gauld if it was true that students who committed any infraction of the rules was shunned for days, something I consider to be cruel.  He was stunned that any parent had heard of this, quickly looked away and said he hadn't heard of that....on to the next question.

Parents who are scared are vulnerable.  Hyde preys on the vulnerable."

Why if this school is so bad did NYC board of education approve them for a charter school?  I understand they recently opened a school in California?  I would consider it a great danger to open up more of these Hyde Schools after reading about Hyde on this website! It is obvious from these posts that you have many professionals writing in about this school on this website, not young kids who are simply complaining.  

I am an advocate for children and I can tell you that the only way to put a stop to the abuses I am reading about is to write to the media, write to the congressmen in the states where they are opening up schools, and write to the board of education in these states.  You can make a difference.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »
In answer to the person who said that someone should contact boards of ed., etc., I agree.  It's been 13 years since I've heard much about the school but, when they came to our town, I did research and found much about the emotional abuse, etc. in the Maine Times from the '70's.  Newspapers in our state did do a lot of work on this.  I can tell you that the staff members who came to me, came in fear.  Neither (they didn't know each other as they worked there at different times) are there now.  As for N.Y. City, well a friend's daughter is doing an internship in the Bronx and even Hyde would be an improvement.  Others are very gullible.  We just had an article in Sundays paper about their wonderful character-building programs.  Malcalm Gauld said that they'd been 'stealthy' (good word) about advertising their success lately but decided they needed to do more advertising.  I'm going to be on the watch.  I noticed that Barbara Walters daughter who attended there years ago wrote in the paper that she still resents her mother for sending her to a terrible school.  I surmise she meant Hyde.  Cher glows about it and her son was there in the early '90s.  Some parents liked having the school keep an eye on their kids without having to do much.  I recall a mother telling me that her  daughter was ripped up one side and down the other because she wouldn't 'own up' to the issues she had.  At that time, 1992, Hyde didn't have anyone with guidance or psychological credentials of any kind but they sure liked mind games.  "Brother's keeper" means ratting on each other.  Many punishments hearken back to Joe Gauld's Marine days.  I know some juvenile judges in this state. We'll see.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »
On 2006-02-06 09:48:00, Anonymous wrote:

"In answer to the person who said that someone should contact boards of ed., etc., I agree.  It's been 13 years since I've heard much about the school but, when they came to our town, I did research and found much about the emotional abuse, etc. in the Maine Times from the '70's.  Newspapers in our state did do a lot of work on this.  I can tell you that the staff members who came to me, came in fear.  Neither (they didn't know each other as they worked there at different times) are there now.  As for N.Y. City, well a friend's daughter is doing an internship in the Bronx and even Hyde would be an improvement.  Others are very gullible.  We just had an article in Sundays paper about their wonderful character-building programs.  Malcalm Gauld said that they'd been 'stealthy' (good word) about advertising their success lately but decided they needed to do more advertising.  I'm going to be on the watch.  I noticed that Barbara Walters daughter who attended there years ago wrote in the paper that she still resents her mother for sending her to a terrible school.  I surmise she meant Hyde.  Cher glows about it and her son was there in the early '90s.  Some parents liked having the school keep an eye on their kids without having to do much.  I recall a mother telling me that her  daughter was ripped up one side and down the other because she wouldn't 'own up' to the issues she had.  At that time, 1992, Hyde didn't have anyone with guidance or psychological credentials of any kind but they sure liked mind games.  "Brother's keeper" means ratting on each other.  Many punishments hearken back to Joe Gauld's Marine days.  I know some juvenile judges in this state. We'll see."

I wholeheartedly support going to the media about the problems at Hyde. I have no problem with reporters contacting those who support Hyde and those who are critics.  That's only fair, and any competent reporter would need to find people who represent different points of view.  The goal should be to expose Hyde in every way possible.  I am confident that widespread publicity about the concerns that many parents have about Hyde would be a very useful public service.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2006, 08:44:00 AM »

"In answer to the person who spoke of gang rape, although it is true that some persons are afraid to call in the authorities, it can be difficult but extremely healing to know that this was a crime and acknowledged by the authorities to be such.  No good school would ever let something like that go.  This also encourages a sick subculture to continue to bully people.  Bullying and never responding out of weakness are hallmarks of the Hyde School.  The two anonymous teachers I spoke with years ago said that some kids were helped at that school but most weren't.

I fully agree with you, re a child being able to heal by the acknowledgement that a crime did occur after being gang raped.  This child did not need to necessarily have to prosecute, but the parents should have set an example for him by taking some action including bringing in the authorities. A child needs a parents protection and it sounds like these parents were more concerned about protecting Hyde, (they were either employeed by the school or very active) than getting their child the proper help.

I do understand from one of the staff members at Hyde, this boys only form of counseling was through seminaring at Hyde with unprofessional group leaders who have NO experience in this type of situation.  Very sad story.  The child always suffers for the parents bad decisions and in this case the parent seems to have failed the child in favor of protecting Hyde.

Hyde will only get away with all of this for so long, but eventually it will catch up with them, and their house of cards will fall down.

This is a good website!  Hope all of you keep posting so potential parents might be forewarned.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2006, 06:28:00 PM »
On 2006-02-07 05:44:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

I fully agree with you, re a child being able to heal by the acknowledgement that a crime did occur after being gang raped.  This child did not need to necessarily have to prosecute, but the parents should have set an example for him by taking some action including bringing in the authorities. A child needs a parents protection and it sounds like these parents were more concerned about protecting Hyde, (they were either employeed by the school or very active) than getting their child the proper help.

I do understand from one of the staff members at Hyde, this boys only form of counseling was through seminaring at Hyde with unprofessional group leaders who have NO experience in this type of situation.  Very sad story.  The child always suffers for the parents bad decisions and in this case the parent seems to have failed the child in favor of protecting Hyde.

Hyde will only get away with all of this for so long, but eventually it will catch up with them, and their house of cards will fall down.

This is a good website!  Hope all of you keep posting so potential parents might be forewarned."

Geez, how can this school exist?  I know there is a big push in Maine for Charter Schools.  There are a ton of websites dedicated to this effort and at least one organized group.  Hyde will certainly try to be one of the first of the charter schools in Maine!!