Author Topic: I am a parent looking for info. on RTC...Please help  (Read 3893 times)

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
I am a parent looking for info. on RTC...Please help
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »
Everything Timocela said.

And this -
If you decide an RTC is the only way to get your child appropriate therapy; and you want to keep her in her home state; you will have to file the beyond control - they have a "no fault" category for just such situations. You will have court dates and be assigned a case worker who will try and get you to do many varied useless things. This is one time you'll want to be able to document everything you have already tried.  Stress the last resort aspect of your petition; and stress your desire to get your child appropriate long term therapy. You should have no problem proving it needs to be long term. In a case like this, giving the state custody is not by any means giving up your child. You will remain an important of her treatment planning and her life in general. (altho they may lie to you about this) IN a case like this, the state is not severing your parental rights, but rather, taking custody so as to provide a level of care not available to individual families.
The state worker may try and intimidate you into leaving them alone - but you must persist, if this is what she needs.
The benefits to your daughter could be manifest. I know MaryHurst and the Presbyterians have very good independent living programs, and scholarships to local colleges  - and if she is and remains on the low functioning end of the scale (simply meaning she won't be able to hold a job, no matter how smart she is) they will help get her disability started (which may be more important for the health insurence than the money) but they do a good job of taking very low functioning girls and showing them that they can control their emotions and that they can enjoy success on the job.
Once again, let me say: Please don't take a short cut with one of these private owned programs b/c it seems easier. In the long run, it will most likely make matters much worse. Also, don't  think that b/c they cost a small fortune they will provide better care - This is just not the case. And keep in mind, they have no one holding them accountable.

Do pay attention to Timocela's advice about her schooling. It is the key.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »
Buzz Kill,
I have searched Google & MSN search all day for a listing for Bell Academy. I can't find anything.
It does come up with a Montgomery Bell Academy in TN (it's an all boys school). If you have any other info. on Bell academy, please let me know.
You can post it here or email me privately.
I just set up a screen name here, it is:
Greene bean

Thanks again

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 05:29:00 PM »
Its been a long time, but I am pretty sure the name is Bell Academy - its out in the east end off old Lagrange road - (I'm assuming your in the Louisville area as you speak of Caritas and Ten Brook) try looking up Presbyterian children's homes in the phone book. But I doubt they have a web page b/c they have no need to advertise.
I will dig around and double check for you - and when I do, I should be able to give you phone numbers and maybe names.
You need to write me or PM  b/c I won't be wanting to post them on an open board.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2005, 05:35:00 PM »
You know what - I just realized I have had a brain fart - Bell academy is not the name.
It is Bellewood.

I knew about that "other" Bell academy - but thought the two shared the name - but no - I recall now - it is Bellewood.

I do believe it is listed. If you can't find the listing, post again, and I'll dig threw my papers.

heres a listing link:
Never mind it wouldn't post right - but do a google on Bellewood in Louisville.
Now to be clear - I am not trying to say this is THE place for your girl - but in my experance they will tell you the truth if they are not what she needs and they can be helpful pointing you in the right direction.

[ This Message was edited by: BuzzKill on 2005-04-10 14:41 ][ This Message was edited by: BuzzKill on 2005-04-10 14:42 ]

Offline Greene Bean

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2005, 07:17:00 PM »
Buzz Kill,
Thank you again for all the info.
Yes, we are in Louisville. I checked out Bellewood's site & MaryHurst. I will dig deeper & get info. from them. I will go out & visit (unannounced) & see what it's like.
I agree with you, this may not be the place for my daughter, but it is a starting point (locally).
We had no luck at all with Ten Broek. 5 1/2 weeks there & nothing has changed, only gotten worse.

I want to thank everyone for all their advice & support, I am sure I will have more questions in the coming days & weeks. Thanks for helping out.

Greene Bean (formerly known as Anonymous)

We ought to be grateful that our government monopoly schools are such a failure. If today's 18 year olds could do arithmetic, they'd be out buying enough rope to hang everybody over 40.
--Alan Handleman on Social Security

Offline FightingIrish

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2005, 07:28:00 PM »
CCM stands for Cross Creek Manor in So. Utah. I have a dgt there now. I will be pulling her asap. I ditto what cherished Wisdom said. Check out Isaccorp warnings signs. Check out the internet for any thing you can find. WWASP stands for World Wide Association School Programs.
Good Luck