Author Topic: i cant believe..........  (Read 5212 times)

Offline free

• View Profile
i cant believe..........
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 10:43:00 AM »
And maybe, just maybe, I wasn't as fucked up as they told me. Maybe I just lacked some coping skills. Maybe if I had parents who taught me coping skills things would have been different. Since my parents couldn't, they thought Straight could. Straight didn't teach anything about coping skills. They did teach how to beat and bash people to rid them of any self-esteem though ::bangin::  [ This Message was edited by: free on 2005-04-11 07:45 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
i cant believe..........
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
I think maybe we're tripping over muddy definitions here.

Blame? Do I blame Straight, The Seed and the whole toughlove hategroup culture for further messing up my family? Indeed I do.

That doesn't mean that I want or expect any kind of vindication or to punish anyone for it or for "them" (whoever "they" may be defined) to do anything to make it right. I just want to try and correct the broadly held misconception that this particular form of therapy is really therapeutic. It's not. In most cases, it seems to be quite distructive.

I just don't want this or the next or the next generation of parents to fall for the scam and I want all public funding, endorsement and support for this form of abuse as therapy to stop.

T'is an ill wind that blows no minds.
--Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i cant believe..........
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
On 2005-04-08 07:45:00, free wrote:
 You think Straight was the most terrible place.....Go to Somalia for a visit and see what those people went through.

Should a person with no shoes cut off their feet?

Should a raped woman be grateful she was not murdered?

Should a beaten child feel lucky that it wasn't worse?

I can always spot AA members by the "visit another country clause" and the good ole acceptance speech.

Maybe people in Somalia should visit the United States and see that change is possible.
Our country has gone through a lot of battles and debates to achieve the way of life we see today.
My gratitude goes out to the brave people that Did NOT accept life on tyrants terms.

More sober people visit jails than drunks.
Institutions house loads of people with mental illnesses that have NEVER drank alcohol.

Problems of the world are NOT reserved for alcoholics.  Trust me, you guys are NOT that fucking special.

You read like a taped message that I can hear again and again and again and again and again at any AA meeting.

From "my experience" it is possible to be sober AND think for myself.

AA claimed that I have a deadly disease that will kill me if I drank a beer.  1000 beers later I'm still alive.

greed mongers told parents that a puff of pot will kill their kids and that they need help in Straight, INC.  Many years later Straight, INC is looking for help to hide the abuse they delivered to those kids.  

Life can always be worse.
Life can always be better.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i cant believe..........
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »
On 2005-04-11 11:09:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-04-08 07:45:00, free wrote:
 You think Straight was the most terrible place.....Go to Somalia for a visit and see what those people went through.

Should a person with no shoes cut off their feet?

Should a raped woman be grateful she was not murdered?

Should a beaten child feel lucky that it wasn't worse?

I can always spot AA members by the "visit another country clause" and the good ole acceptance speech.

Maybe people in Somalia should visit the United States and see that change is possible.

Our country has gone through a lot of battles and debates to achieve the way of life we see today.

My gratitude goes out to the brave people that Did NOT accept life on tyrants terms.

More sober people visit jails than drunks.

Institutions house loads of people with mental illnesses that have NEVER drank alcohol.

Problems of the world are NOT reserved for alcoholics.  Trust me, you guys are NOT that fucking special.

You read like a taped message that I can hear again and again and again and again and again at any AA meeting.

From "my experience" it is possible to be sober AND think for myself.

AA claimed that I have a deadly disease that will kill me if I drank a beer.  1000 beers later I'm still alive.

greed mongers told parents that a puff of pot will kill their kids and that they need help in Straight, INC.  Many years later Straight, INC is looking for help to hide the abuse they delivered to those kids.  

Life can always be worse.

Life can always be better.

"

Offline PerfectStraightling

• View Profile
i cant believe..........
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 03:10:00 PM »
I agree with what you said Free. Blaming other people as an excuse to participate in self destructive behavior hurts you and not the people you are blaming. I think though there is room for being angry and hurt and to still not engage in self destructive behavior --- I believe that one does not necessarily imply the other. I also think working through that anger and hurt will untimately be more freeing than not allowing it, which was something that we didn't have the freedom of doing while in straight. I'm glad I have it now.

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
i cant believe..........
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 03:19:00 PM »
...means good business for SIBS. :tup:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i cant believe..........
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 05:23:00 PM »
On 2005-04-11 12:10:00, JMA wrote:

"I agree with what you said Free. Blaming other people as an excuse to participate in self destructive behavior hurts you and not the people you are blaming. I think though there is room for being angry and hurt and to still not engage in self destructive behavior --- I believe that one does not necessarily imply the other. I also think working through that anger and hurt will untimately be more freeing than not allowing it, which was something that we didn't have the freedom of doing while in straight. I'm glad I have it now."
I actually see both points. Anonymous wrote 1000 beers later and I am still alive. I think that is wonderful. 1000 beers later and I almost killed someone. It didn't kill me and all I was saying is I almost killed someone else. As far as Antigen wrote....My father still throws the Straight lingo at me. When he doesn't get his way he likes to say " Are you drinking again!!!!! You are fucked up in the head Son." Yes I still here that. That's his fucking problem. He needs to get over it. To elaborate, Straight taught our parents tough love which came across to my Father as I am a fucked up druggie and anything I say should be discredited because I am a druggie. I am 30 now and he still uses that silly shit against me. I got a family of my own to worry about now. Not my father throwing Straight shit at me. I get to laugh at it now. I am sorry if I offended anyone. It is what it is. I am still for closing down the concentration camps. JMA heard what I was implying. Excuses for current self destructive behavior. I'll tell you what, I like going down the road and being able to listen to music.

Offline PerfectStraightling

• View Profile
i cant believe..........
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 05:48:00 PM »
I wish I could laugh at it, but it is still hard for me. My mother doesn't throw straight lingo at me, just always, "you're not normal." Or, the incomprehensible "you're like a person with a hole in her head." (???) But...I still live my life and have fun and behave a lot like a "normal" person would.

Maybe one day I will be able to laugh at it too.  :smile:  :smile:  :tup:

I can appreciate what you said though, Free. Being able to listen to the music is good.

Offline free

• View Profile
i cant believe..........
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2005, 08:27:00 PM »
The other things I appreciate is not having to sing I am Straight, Hey look me over, trying to remember the other ones. That sucked on Friday nights with all those parents staring.!.!

Offline free

• View Profile
i cant believe..........
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2005, 08:40:00 PM »
On 2005-04-11 14:48:00, JMA wrote:

"I wish I could laugh at it, but it is still hard for me. My mother doesn't throw straight lingo at me, just always, "you're not normal." Or, the incomprehensible "you're like a person with a hole in her head." (???) But...I still live my life and have fun and behave a lot like a "normal" person would.

Maybe one day I will be able to laugh at it too.  :smile:  :smile:  :tup:

I can appreciate what you said though, Free. Being able to listen to the music is good.

"
Oh, I almost forgot. My dad has gone as far to say that I am fucking my kid's head up in the process. I only laugh because I have other things to focus on. My son is only 5. He keeps me entertained. As far as being normal....Name one person who went to Straight that is normal. I am told by my ex-wife I am not normal. Talk at ya later. We are back together now though.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i cant believe..........
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005, 12:00:00 AM »
When I used to smoke cigs. I used to crack my window in my car. My father said I was abusing my children with them in the car with me while I smoked. I quit smoking but how dare he say such a thing to me. He put me in Straight!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
i cant believe..........
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2005, 09:04:00 PM »
Yep....

Offline Animals

• View Profile
i cant believe..........
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2005, 01:26:00 PM »
On 2005-04-13 18:04:00, Anonymous wrote: