Author Topic: Death at Summit School in NY  (Read 13787 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Death at Summit School in NY
« on: October 23, 2002, 10:46:00 PM »
http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/ ... ummit.html

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/ ... ummit.html

Excerpts:

Ian Sinovoi, 17, of Manhattan was charged with felony first-degree assault after Thursday night's incident, which occurred shortly after 7 at the Summit School on North Broadway. Sinovoi is accused of pushing his roommate, Jeremy Jaulin, out of a dormitory window 19 feet above the ground.

Jaulin fell out of a sliding window that had no screens. The school's windows have no restraints, Goldsmith said.

During the past year, three assaults have been reported, mostly dealing with students scuffling or punching other students or a counselor, Cummings said.

Those types of incidents are common among residential treatment centers like Summit School across the region. Many similar facilities have more violent crimes, such as stabbings, assaults and sexual abuse.

Eight teenage girls have been indicted on charges of attempted murder and assault in connection with the Feb. 7 attack and torture of a teacher at the Pleasantville Cottage School, also a residential treatment center, in Mount Pleasant.

Ian Sinovoi of Manhattan might use a psychiatric defense against two counts of second-degree murder in the Oct. 3 death of 15-year-old Jeremy Gaulin, Sinovoi's lawyer said yesterday.

Sinovoi, a student at the Summit School for about a year, suffers from Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism, Assistant Public Defender James Filenbaum said. A person with Asperger's likes structure and repetition, and is easily excitable when his or her routine is disrupted, Filenbaum said.

Gaulin, who came to the school in July, suffered from attention- deficit disorder, which usually includes an inability to focus and to keep to a routine.

Filenbaum said the school made the two boys roommates a day before Sinovoi was accused of pushing Gaulin out a second-floor window. Gaulin fell 19 feet and landed on his head, police said.

Sinovoi originally was charged with first-degree assault by Clarkstown police, but the grand jury on Wednesday indicted him on two counts of second-degree murder.

District Attorney Michael Bongiorno said one count was for intentional murder, and one was for murder by depraved indifference. Sinovoi will be tried as an adult and, if convicted, could be sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 12:46:00 PM »
That is so weird. When I was at Four Winds we all were trying to get into Summit it was the least restrictive of all the residental programs. Not that this is saying it was a great place but the lesser of the proposed evils. It is a shame that the kid died. People have to realize that warehousing kids is never the answer for problems in kids and families.
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 07:22:00 PM »
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05176/528360.stm
Excerpts:
Injury at reform school probed
Saturday, June 25, 2005

By Barbara White Stack, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

State police and the Department of Public Welfare are investigating an incident at a Butler County reform school last weekend that left a West Virginia teen with more than 20 stitches in his face.

Officials at The Summit Academy, a residential school for delinquent boys, told welfare investigators that the teen's face-first crash through a glass cover on a fire hose cabinet was an accident. But doctors at Children's Hospital apparently don't believe that.

After treating Devon Cooper's disfiguring wounds Saturday night, the hospital reported the incident to ChildLine. Doctors are required by state law to inform ChildLine when they believe a youngster has been abused by a parent or caretaker, such as staff at a reform school. Physicians aren't required to report what they believe are accidents.

Children's Hospital declined to discuss the case, citing federal confidentiality regulations. The academy refused to allow a reporter to speak with Cooper, noting that state law prevents the school from even acknowledging Cooper is a student. And both staff members involved, Vacanti and Dave Akers, said they would not talk about it.

The Summit suspended the two, but they're still being paid, according to Joseph Daugerdas, a spokesman for the nonprofit corporation that operates The Summit Academy and The Academy, a South Hills program that delinquents attend after school and on weekends.

The Summit has filed a report with the state on the incident. It says staff member Vacanti confronted Cooper about going into another child's room when Cooper was supposed to be in bed in his own quarters. Then Akers, a supervisor, intervened.

The report says Cooper "became aggressive and pushed away from the supervisor. [Cooper] lost his balance and fell into a glass cover for a fire hose receptacle injuring the side of his face and ear."

That, however, is not the kind of incident that certain officials, such as doctors, are required by state law to report to ChildLine. They must call in when they have "reasonable cause to suspect that a child has been abused." And, the law says, abuse is "non-accidental serious physical injury."

The Summit can house as many as 350 boys. Most are delinquents, but its license from the Welfare Department permits it to accept youngsters abused or neglected by their parents. Summit charges the counties that send boys about $90 a day.

John Law, a spokesman for the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources, said he could not discuss an individual child's case. But in general, when a youngster is seriously injured in placement, West Virginia could send a caseworker to the school to investigate or it could bring the child back to the state to hear his side of the story in a setting away from the facility where he was hurt.

"We would look very closely at the provider" to see whether the facility is safe, Law said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Barbara White Stack can be reached at [email protected] or 412-263-1878.)
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
summit school
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 12:04:29 AM »
I went to that school. I left shortly before this happened. It really is a shame. However Summit did let people run wild.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 07:52:12 AM »
Eight teenage girls have been indicted on charges of attempted murder and assault in connection with the Feb. 7 attack and torture of a teacher at the Pleasantville Cottage School, also a residential treatment center, in Mount Pleasant.

Wonder why they did that...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
staff?
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 07:57:02 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

Wonder why they did that...

Well well.  What goes around -- comes around.  Pity they did not suceed.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 08:50:04 AM »
http://www.nyjournalnews.com/rtc/index1.htm
The life story of one of the eight girls.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Where is Ian Sinovoi from Summit Children's Residence?
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 10:12:14 PM »
There is something wrong that not one article I have read about this tragic incident has ever mentioned Summit School's responsibility in pairing these 2 students together as roommates. One child lives exclusively in a world of structure and order and the other was incapable of any kind of structure and order. Why in the world would a professional put them together?
I feel that this boy was the scape goat and Summit got off clear.
It is now 5 years later, does anyone know what has happened to Ian Sinovoi, does anyone care? Is he still in prison and what good is that doing?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Where is Ian Sinovoi from Summit Children's Residence?
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 12:41:15 AM »
Quote from: ""Act UP""
There is something wrong that not one article I have read about this tragic incident has ever mentioned Summit School's responsibility in pairing these 2 students together as roommates. One child lives exclusively in a world of structure and order and the other was incapable of any kind of structure and order. Why in the world would a professional put them together?
It is now 5 years later, does anyone know what has happened to Ian Sinovoi, does anyone care? Is he still in prison and what good is that doing?

I don't know.  The insane placement of these boys together as roommates struck me as well.  Tragically inappropriate.

I wasn't able to find much of anything either, but it has only been 4 years since the sentencing, so the earliest that he might get out would be another year.  ISAC has a clipping from The Journal News, the same publication from which a different story was excerpted above by Deborah.

http://www.isaccorp.org/summit/summit-s ... 19.03.html

Teen gets jail in death at Summit School
By STEVE LIEBERMAN
THE JOURNAL NEWS
June 19, 2003

A 17-year-old boy suffering from a mental illness was sentenced yesterday to between five and 15 years in prison for pushing a teenager out a second-story window to his death at an Upper Nyack school.

Ian Sinovoi of Manhattan must serve at least five years in prison for second-degree manslaughter in the death of Jeremy Gaulin of Dobbs Ferry. They had just become roommates when Sinovoi pushed Gaulin out the window Oct. 3 at the Summit Children's Residence and School.

Gaulin's mother, Judy Parton, spoke tearfully about her son before County Court Judge William Kelly sentenced Sinovoi.

Parton, who works with developmentally disabled children, said she wanted Sinovoi to serve 15 years.

Parton, her hands shaking as she read her statement, said her son's death had devastated his family, including his four siblings, father, stepfather, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. More than 10 family members attended yesterday's sentencing.

She spoke of little things missing in their life without her eldest son, such as buying one less ticket for a family outing to the movies. She said she would never see her son graduate from college or get married or see his wish come true to get a driver's license. He would have turned 16 on June 27.

"The most emotionally upsetting was Mother's Day," Parton told Kelly. "While other mothers were getting Mother's Day cards and flowers from their children, I brought Jeremy flowers for his grave. I didn't go to any fancy brunches. I spent time at the cemetery with my son, Jeremy."

Sinovoi, a husky teenager with a slight beard, stood with hands chained behind him, wearing a blue county jail jumpsuit. When it came time for him to speak before sentencing, Sinovoi told Kelly: "I wrote something. I really can't say it right now." Assistant Public Defender Claire Cincotta then told Kelly about Sinovoi's medical history, noting the judge had been given 15 years' worth of psychiatric and education reports on Sinovoi. She asked that Sinovoi be placed in a special jail unit so he could receive treatment, a request Kelly said he would recommend to the state Department of Correctional Services.

The reports outlined that Sinovoi suffered primarily from Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism, and had a penchant for order and details. He also suffered from an intermittent explosive disorder when his lifestyle was disturbed.

Sinovoi's mental illness reduced his capacity to plan, control or appreciate the criminality of his actions when he pushed Gaulin out the window, Cincotta said. Gaulin suffered from attention deficit disorder, which tends to include an inability to focus and to keep to a routine.

Sinovoi's mental illness led prosecutor Louis Valvo to reduce the criminal charge from second-degree murder to manslaughter. The plea agreement came after psychiatrists for Sinovoi and the prosecution concluded the teen did not mean to cause Gaulin's death, but had acted with reckless disregard for his life.

Cincotta, speaking after the sentencing, said Gaulin's mother was "very merciful and understanding" of Sinovoi.

"Ian's parents feel terrible about what he did and their concerns go out to Jeremy's family," Cincotta said. "Both families lost a child, one to death and other to prison. It is a sad case."

Gaulin's grandmother, Theresa Gaulin, said she wanted Sinovoi to serve 15 years in prison.

"I don't think five years is enough," she said, crying outside the courtroom.

Kelly said the case was unusual because of Sinovoi's mental illness, but he agreed to the five- to 15-year prison sentence. He called Gaulin's death "barbaric," but noted psychiatrists found that Sinovoi could not control his violent impulses.

Kelly said the state Parole Board should take Sinovoi's condition into account before considering an early release from prison in five years, for fear such an incident might happen again.

Parton, Gaulin's mother, also said she wanted Sinovoi to get treatment for his mental illness while in prison, but she could not forgive him.

"Jeremy was given a death penalty for nothing," she said in court. "I cannot forgive Ian for what he did at this time, but I pray that my family and his find some peace in our lives. Someday I may be able to forgive Ian."

# #
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 02:23:03 PM »

I was personally friends with Jeremy Gaulin, and they were roomed together, Jeremy requested it because they were friends, Summit should have never allowed that though due to them having different "illnesses" for lack of a better word. And I really hope Ian is still in jail, the fucker should rot.

Reading all of this just really makes me sad because most of you didn't even know him, to you it's just another sad story, Jeremy was such a great kid and didn't deserve to have his life taken from him.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 02:18:41 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"

I was personally friends with Jeremy Gaulin, and they were roomed together, Jeremy requested it because they were friends, Summit should have never allowed that though due to them having different "illnesses" for lack of a better word. And I really hope Ian is still in jail, the fucker should rot.

Reading all of this just really makes me sad because most of you didn't even know him, to you it's just another sad story, Jeremy was such a great kid and didn't deserve to have his life taken from him.

Well for all you wondering where Ian is, I of most people will surely know. I am Jeremy's brother... Ian did not get out on parole on behalf of us writing letters to the parole board. He is still serving time for what he has done.

Mike Parton

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Death at Summit School in NY
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 03:53:50 AM »
Let's hope he understands what he is actually serving time for. Some Aspergers cases I have seen would not understand why.

Is he serving his time at a mental hospital, so he at least can get some treatment or is he just one of many cases where the jail system serves a spare room for all those who remain untreated?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »

Well for all you wondering where Ian is, I of most people will surely know. I am Jeremy's brother... Ian did not get out on parole on behalf of us writing letters to the parole board. He is still serving time for what he has done.

Mike Parton

So sorry for the loss of your precious brother.  I am also keeping track of Ian as I live in his apartment building and under no circumstances do I want this animal living anywhere near me.  I am sure all of your good efforts kept him from making parole this past May and he is not due for a hearing for another 2 years.  God Bless you and your family.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Re: Death at Summit School in NY
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 08:40:01 PM »
sorry, I drifted into this post late.... but... shit...

I used to be about a 30 minute drive from this place, when I was at Andrus.

Im wracking my brain, trying to remember if the kids had any stories about it, but nothing is coming to mind. Most of what we heard was about pleasantville or the duck farm across the street. (Wish I could remember what it was called.)

when i heard this place was on north broadway, i thought it might be the one.. but its not. (had no idea they had a N broadway on both sides of the Tap N Zeee.)

The story doesnt surprise me. Some of those kids can be really tough.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 03:52:22 AM »
Quote from: "grandma"

"Jeremy was given a death penalty for nothing," she said in court. "I cannot forgive Ian for what he did at this time, but I pray that my family and his find some peace in our lives. Someday I may be able to forgive Ian."

You mean, what the "care giver" (you? your own kid?) who locked him up, and the "school" did to him. Institutionalization only leads to tragedy, smaller or larger tragedies.