Author Topic: AARC Kid the driver?  (Read 23946 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »
yes amy is associated with aarc. she signed herself on the day after the accident

and yes she is clean and sober and doing quite well actually
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 01:14:00 PM »
Amy Is doing very well and just finished school. She has had her struggles as has a lot of the people from AARC but proves to knows that drinking or drugs is not the anwser any more. Every day Amy wakes up she knows what has happened and has to live with that. It was stated that the boys J-WALKING while drunk and at 3:00am was just one reason why the drinking was not the cause. The drinking impared her judgment at this point and that is what is being questioned.
What amy did was wrong and she knows that I think people shoudl look at there part in the situations that happen in their lives and they will see that they make bad judgement some times to.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 03:41:00 PM »
I am really pleased at her approach. She obviously knows she had a serious part to play in this tragedy. Everyone can have a bad day. I hope she does well. Staying sober will certainly help.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 03:36:00 AM »
I was a friend of rick's...I live in his hometown. All I have to say is, drinking and driving is what it is. You make the decision to drive knowing that it does in fact impair your judgement. Driving while impaired, was her bad judgement, no exceptions. Leaving the scene of a serious accident, is just plain stupid. Maybe Rick had a chance. Did she think about that? Did she think that he could be taking his last breath and earlier medical attention could have saved him? Instead, she thought of herself and fled like a coward. On behalf of Rick's family, Mother, Father, Sister and his son, whom he'll never see grow up, I just want to say..sure, everyone has a bad day, and everyone makes bad judgement sometimes, but you have to own up to the consequences of these actions. How could you just let someone die in the middle of the street? His family is torn apart, theyre absolutely devastated that they lost their son. And Rick had so much to live for. RIP Ricky

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2005, 12:55:00 PM »
The bottom line in this story is that the cab driver who SHOULD have driven Amy Leigh O'Flynn home in the early morning hours of July 8th, 2004 would not have hit and killed my little boy's father. Those of us who drive know how often pedestrians step out onto the road when they shouldn't, and let's face it, all of us who have ever walked anywhere know that "jay-walking" is the norm, NOT the exception. It was her responsibility to ensure that she was lucid and alert enough to react to the conditions drivers encounter everyday - pedestrians, night driving and rain. Had she been sober, then this could have been termed an accident (although had she been sober this likely would not have happened). This woman made a decision, and this decision was no accident. All red tape and BS put aside, Amy Leigh O'Flynn is guilty of numerous crimes here, both legally and morally, and in all honesty, neither the excuses, nor the pity-parties, and no amount of hiding behind "a substance abuse problem" can change the fact that Ricky is dead and she is responsible. It is an atrocious miscarriage of justice that she has not been found criminally culpable for Ricky's death. To refer to this situation as "a bad day" for the driver is as absurd and cold, as it is heartbreaking. Perhaps I feel this strongly because I saw his devastated family at his wake and funeral, and felt the emptiness that swallowed all of us who loved Rick. And if my opinion is tainted with anger, then it comes from the memories of those days, which began a year ago tomorrow, and from listening to my son ask about his father, who he will never see again. Ricky and his family deserved justice, and it was not delivered. The excuses need to stop.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »
So what should her punishment be?? Seriously please don't just say how horrible she is, say what exactly she needs to do or what exactly needs to be done to her to give you some justice. I am all ears.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2005, 06:00:00 PM »
I really don't know how to make myself more clear than I did. I did not, in my previous posting, and will not now, offer my personal opinion of this girl in this forum, as it does not change a thing. If your impression of my comment was that I was "saying how horrible she was" then I suggest you reread it. What I am maintaining is that her drunken state WAS the ultimate cause of Ricky's death. I am not interested in the technicalities that brought those lawyers to the conclusion that her condition was not a factor. We all know that drinking and driving slows a driver's reaction time etc etc. I doubt that I need to explain these facts to you. For some reason she got away with what is blatantly obvious to anyone who cares to take a look at this situation from an unbiased point of view. She is certainly not the first person to escape due punishment a court of law, as I am sure you know. If I had not cared so deeply for Rick, even if I had been a complete stranger to him, I would have the same opinion as I do now. As for her punishment, she should have been found guilty of the charges that they dropped, and she should have been sentenced accordingly. That's what I think. Plain and simple. But saying this doesn't change a thing, which is why I don't understand your response to my posting, or your questions. My comments were not intended to be a personal attack against this woman, I feel that they were truthful and factual. Frankly though, I am very unconcerned if I have offended you, because right now, on this particular day, and on every other July 8th for the rest of my life, all I feel is sadness. From everything I have heard about this case, which I have heard from people who talked to the lawyers, Amy did nothing from the second Ricky and Ian were hit except try to hide what she did and make excuses about why this happened. I realize that nothing can be changed now, as the charges have been dropped. I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain what I feel is the obvious truth. Not today. The people, including my child, who were destroyed by this crime are not faceless to me, and the injustice that has been served here is as real as the heaviness in my heart when I remember Ricky's beautiful smile. As for Amy O'Flynn... she's a statistic.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »
OK well I certainly see your side of it. I don't even want to say anything to upset you. But it just sounds from the posts here that she went through a treatment program and feels bad about what happened. And what could be better than that? I would rather have someone emotionally repent something like that than to have the government lock them up and have them think they did nothing wrong.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2005, 07:08:00 PM »
I mean what could be better than that, besides of course if it didn't happen.... :cry:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »
Whether or not she has "emotionally repented" for her crime is of little consequence to me. That is between her and God. Why do you act like it should be enough for her to simply state that she feels bad about what she has done? People feel sorry when they hit animals on the road too, this does not absolve her, it simply makes her human. Her getting away with this was a hard slap in the face to those who were waiting for justice for Ricky. People who are hurt by someone else's criminal actions need tangible justice for healing, not tears, and CERTAINLY NOT excuses. First it was a lie about a stolen vehicle, then when that didn't work it was bad friends, a so-called alcohol problem, a dark road, "J-walking"... COME ON. Even the victims were blamed for this. Amy O'Flynn apparently didn't value the safety and lives of innocent pedestrians as much as she valued the $20 it would have cost her to take a cab home. In fact, she was with 3 other people, so it would have cost less than that. It was the responsibility of the courts to try this woman and ensure that swift justice was delivered for this CRIME. Drinking and driving IS AGAINST THE LAW. She broke the law, and she should have been punished for that. She left a human being bleeding on the pavement. A person with dreams, a futur, a mother, father and sister who loved him, friends who loved him, and a little boy who is STILL waiting for him. If Ricky and Ian had been J-walking, so what? They were not the ones irresponsibly operating a motor vehicle, a weapon when used under the influence of alcohol!Is there something about that that you don't understand?? She was impaired, PERIOD. Perhaps had she been sober, she may still have hit him, but she may not have been going as fast, and perhaps he wouldn't have died. I could go on and on and on about the possibilities here, but they would all start with "IF she hadn't been DRUNK...". Had she been a man, without a family with money or influence, she would have gone to jail. I, since you seem to be curious, would rather see her locked up for what she did. Call me a facist if you will, I am unapologetic about my stance. The alligator tears shed while she attempted to excuse her behaviour and extort the simple truth here mean nothing to me. I'm sure that it is obvious here that my position is unwavering. To directly address your questions - a jail term befitting the coldness and selfishness of this hit and run would be better in my eyes, and I'm quite sure that my words echo the feelings of his family and friends, and Ian, who was a direct victim here too, and Derek, who had to witness his friends life leave his body that night on the pavement. There are no excuses. My prayers are with these people.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »
I cannot believe the justice system today. You can be drunk, hit a pole, hit a moose, or even get pulled over by the police, and you get thrown in jail. Atleast where I come from anyway. But hit a human? Leave them to die? And get away with it? What kind of precedent are they setting? That it's OK to do these things as long as you say how bad you feel and become a spokesperson for some stupid substance control program? this doesnt make any sense to me. I don't know what those lawyers were thinking. I bet they werent thinking if it was THEIR child, THEIR friend, THEIR brother. His family deserves justice. They did not ask for a visit from the police announcing that their only son is dead. Killed by a drunk driver. The courts should have been all over this, charging her to the fullest extent of the law, making sure it never happens again. Now what are people going to think when they get behind the wheel drunk? That its OK to hit someone, and flee the scene so your alcohol level is lower if/when you get caught. (which is exactly what she was thinking) (cold and selfish)
Then say how 'bad' you feel about everything...and blah blah, get a slap on the wrist and walk. Amy, I guess you played your cards right, in your eyes anyway. You manipulated this situation like a true pro. How many more people will you kill in your lifetime? To say the least, I am a true believer of Karma, and someday that will find you Amy, ready or not.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2005, 05:48:00 PM »
On 2005-07-08 15:10:00, Anonymous wrote:

"OK well I certainly see your side of it. I don't even want to say anything to upset you. But it just sounds from the posts here that she went through a treatment program and feels bad about what happened. And what could be better than that? I would rather have someone emotionally repent something like that than to have the government lock them up and have them think they did nothing wrong. "

You honestly believe that salvation through stepcraft can sanctify wreckless homocide? "Oh, I'm so sorry, it wasn't me, the beer did it!"

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.

--H.L. Mencken

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »
Well no...I mean the stepcraft part is unfortunate. It sounds like maybe she just ended up there because she felt bad and that's where she went. I'm just saying that, given the situation, which isn't much to begin with, what's the best way to deal with it? I would think having the person spend the rest of her life trying to make up for it would be the most anyone could ask. Putting her in jail won't make her feel bad, or try to change. You can't force people to be good. That's all I'm saying.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2005, 10:49:00 AM »
Really, I totally understand where you're coming from though...I don't even know why I posted here.

Sorry...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC Kid the driver?
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
i just cant get over how many of you who dont know the whole story keep passing judment. have you all now become lawyers and judges? the poing of going to jail is to rehabilitate a person. maybe the judge realized that amy had taken the right steps in that process. maybe the judge was smart enough to realize that amy is of more use to the community with her story. her story will certainly make more people think about drinking and driving and when she goes to the schools to speak to kids, SHE is the one who WILL get them to listen. i know this may sound harsh but people can learn from being on the other side of a tragedy as well. maybe ricky had to die before the  people would really understand the seriousness of drinking and driving. i know many many people who are friends of amy's, who will NEVER drink and drive again. and carry her message to thier friends and this message will carry and holds up very strongly. who better to carry this message than someone who has actually killed a person while under the influence.
and just for the record it wasnt amy's rich or influential parents that "got her off the charges".
amy worked her ass off to get her self out of the mess that was created. and she is facing serious consequences even though not in jail.
and a question about his son, if he was such a big part of his son's life, why did they live on opposite sides of the country from each other?? i hear the son just came into the picture when the mother realized she could get some insurance money
from the accident.