Author Topic: Parents, please consider this  (Read 15586 times)

Offline anythinganyone

• View Profile
Re: Parents, please consider this
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
I could write as many letters to the people I wanted to. That is, if Im correct, a form of communication.

However, the letters would be delivered via a family rep; you could not directly put them in a mailbox.  The correspondence could also be hindered as I know my therapist had a copy of one of my letters while my parents claim they never sent anything of the sort to him.

And I did go into the "outside world" on more than several occasions. Actually the longer I was there the more I went into public. For instance, we went to a public gym to work out. I went and did community service at a convelecent home and at an elementary school close to the facility. I went to a dentist on the outside, I went gardening with a couple of girls up the street from my facility, I went to a ceramics class put on by a staff member in her studio once a week. I was not totally cut off.

Don't know how it was then, but the CCM I was at only allowed outside time to upper levels.  Otherwise, we were punished severely for even looking at the outside world.

I never divulged anything I wasnt comfortable sharing with my group.

In which case progress was halted and punishments could be dealt (i.e. cat 4 refusal).

In seminars I said some uncomfortable things to the group, but I was ok with that because we had all girl seminars and my facilitator was a woman, so not a big deal to me.

Not anymore.  Seminars are now basically the only time boys and girls are put in the same room at CCM, in the meantime they can not converse in anyway "off-task".  In addition, "some uncomfortable things" is an understatement; there was a huge amount of pressure to cry and reveal deep dark shameful secrets else you will be kicked out of the seminar and held back for two months.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline anythinganyone

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2010, 02:41:29 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
I could write my family and friends who were not doing drugs with me.

The rule at CCM was that you could only write to your home address and your parents could only write to you.  Communication with other people required your parents to send the letter to you and if you wanted to send a letter to someone, it had to be sent to your parents.

I was on phase 4 before I got unmonitered phone calls. I also got to email my parents.

Those never happened as far as I'm aware.  No e-mail communication and no unmonitored phone calls at any point.  You could have visits with parents however at upper levels.

The reality is the kids that go there are minors. thecnically, all their parents have to do is feed them, clothe them, and give them a sanitary home.

This may depend on the state, but there are more requirements.  Children are entitled to an education and an environment which is emotionally and socially appropriate.

Even though they have the right to call people in jail, they cant call whenever they want. If you are in lockdown, you can call. You have to call when they tell you to. When my husband was in jail for this ridiculous drug charge, he wrote as the main communication, because you had to call collect and he could only call at certain times.

but you could STILL CALL.

If you were on the college program, you went to community college and got to do alot of stuff outside CCM. Ask Perri, she was a college girl.

I was told by staff and the rulebook that conversing with others outside of necessity in the college program was not permitted.  In addition, I believe you were supervised by staff.

No one had a job I dont think. the college program was the only school outside of school at CCM. The school there worked great for me. I had dropped out before going, so I had to make up a semester and do 11th and 12th grade. I made all that up wiht As and Bs and graduated High School 3 days before graduating the program. I liked the self paced thing and people just kept to themselves in school. No one really talked and we just worked on our stuff, which was good for me.

You could not get any score less than a B on a test; I consider the school system there pathetic.  It was impossible to perform poorly thus the grades there indicate nothing.  Self-paced just means reading a textbook and completing tests.

I went to class wiht my group. As I said it wasnt bad. Did you guys go to public school while in the program? I think that is what you are saying. We went on the facility grounds so no one other than the kids in my group went to school wiht me. I didnt work or go to school outside the program while in the program so i cant really answer that last one.

For school, we did not go anywhere.  The teachers simply used the rooms of the facility that were otherwise used for activities or groups.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »
Anythinganyone,  I think what you are seeing is programs change and evolve over time so the program you attend may be vastly different than the one someone else attended.  From what I have read hear about CCM the program helped most of the kids, I am sorry to hear you did not have a very good experience.

On another note learning styles differ from child to child so a self paced curriculum would be very beneficial to most students vs. the cookie cutter program that public schools offer.  Anytime you can find a program willing to offer a self paced curriculum it is a plus for the students.  It seems the guest benefited from CCM seeing that she had dropped out of school prior to attending CCM and was able to graduate ahead of schedule while in the program.

Offline Awake

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2010, 01:18:47 AM »

Offline Yael Eshet Khever

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2010, 10:43:24 AM »
Words like "curriculum", "graduation", etc. are normally used in relation to a school or an educational program.

CCM, like all other WWASP programs, had neither. Its "academic program" was never properly accredited, as was proven in the Ivy Ridge case (remember, all WWASP facilities used the same "individually-paced academic program").

Another WWASP lie.

Offline katrina.always

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »
I just can not hold my tears. Very touchy writing.

Offline anythinganyone

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
On another note learning styles differ from child to child so a self paced curriculum would be very beneficial to most students vs. the cookie cutter program that public schools offer.  Anytime you can find a program willing to offer a self paced curriculum it is a plus for the students.  It seems the guest benefited from CCM seeing that she had dropped out of school prior to attending CCM and was able to graduate ahead of schedule while in the program.

I would disagree; I would venture to say the "self-paced curriculum" was more cookie-cutter than the public school system.  No lectures, no interaction, and a very poor selection of courses.  Every course is just reading the textbook, completing some exercises the "teacher" may not even check, following completion of a test.  The transcripts may look pretty with all those As and Bs, but I doubt it reflect's a student's true mastery of the subject matter or study habits since the academic system was so simple, and it was literally impossible to perform poorly (all that meant was a re-do).  I remember I completed my first five credits there in, what, four or five days?  Let's not forget to mention no studying or academic work was allowed outside of the school hours unless you were a level five or above.  It's depressing just thinking about it.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2010, 08:14:37 PM »
Oh god. High School At CEDU:

Two days a week.
English was memorizing a 5th grade vocabulary by an unaccredited teacher.
Math was "here's a book." No one checked.
Science was hiking in the woods and exclaiming, "Wow. Here's a pine cone. It fell from a tree. That's nature!"
Art was let's look at magazines and cut out pretty pictures.
No social studies. Sociopathic studies, maybe.
Communication was sitting in a rap yelling "fuck you" at the floor, yourself, or the person across from you. Seriously, you got credit for that.
It should've counted for drama, too.

Transcripts were totally pulled out of thin air. And good luck getting them if you left early. It took awile any, because tey had to manufacture them first.

I heard they added academics in the 90's. Not sure if it was real or just on paper. The guy who fought for real academics was opposed.

A lot of what Kelly Adams described was CEDU too, in terms of emotional abuse. I've seen a variation of the Grandpa story and retraumatizing victims of abuse many times.
And letters only to and from parents ONLY - no other relatives, etc. Letters were monitored and rewritten to pass censorship. No phone calls out except once every two weeks to your parents. Monitored. You did not dare to crititque the program.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2010, 11:00:13 PM »
Quote from: "Samara"
Oh god. High School At CEDU:

Two days a week.
English was memorizing a 5th grade vocabulary by an unaccredited teacher.
Math was "here's a book." No one checked.
Science was hiking in the woods and exclaiming, "Wow. Here's a pine cone. It fell from a tree. That's nature!"
Art was let's look at magazines and cut out pretty pictures.
No social studies. Sociopathic studies, maybe.
Communication was sitting in a rap yelling "fuck you" at the floor, yourself, or the person across from you. Seriously, you got credit for that.
It should've counted for drama, too.

Transcripts were totally pulled out of thin air. And good luck getting them if you left early. It took awile any, because tey had to manufacture them first.

I heard they added academics in the 90's. Not sure if it was real or just on paper. The guy who fought for real academics was opposed.

A lot of what Kelly Adams described was CEDU too, in terms of emotional abuse. I've seen a variation of the Grandpa story and retraumatizing victims of abuse many times.
And letters only to and from parents ONLY - no other relatives, etc. Letters were monitored and rewritten to pass censorship. No phone calls out except once every two weeks to your parents. Monitored. You did not dare to crititque the program.

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao: Your memory of school. Mine at Elan was not that much different. Their diploma was worthless, well maybe not I made a plane out of it. The paper they used worked well for flight.
I had to go back to school while in the military, I was very upset that my diploma was not accepted and I had to get a GED.
Well that was in the past, the military also provided me with a nice college education and a great career for a while.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline anythinganyone

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2010, 01:23:39 AM »
I kinda wish we could have looked at magazines at Cross Creek.  No social studies doesn't surprise me, but the fact you got "communication credit" for a rap is pretty funny.

Oh, yes.  I remember when they had "spelling" time at Cross Creek when they completely revamped the schedule.  It was so chaotic because there was pretty much nothing to do on the days there was no school, so they started filling it up with garbage like "spelling".  Randomly going through a dictionary and calling on people to spell words, fun, fun!

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2010, 01:34:17 PM »
Non school days for us were full. Half day of manual labor (logging, splitting logs, running wheelbarrels of logs 1/2 mile and back repetitively, clearing brush, etc.)  -  and half day of raps. The manual labor part was easy. It was a respite from crazy.  

magazines for art were not the fun kind. Coupon books, family mags, newspapers. It's not like they were tecahing us decoupage. More like here's the scissors, cut sh*t up and Voila! ART!