Author Topic: Litchfield-Kemper Academy  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Mrs. Doubtfire

• View Profile
Litchfield-Kemper Academy
« on: March 22, 2005, 11:22:00 PM »
This article was published by Steve Rock of the Kansas City Star yesterday.

Typical of WWASP, move the staff and inmates of those facilities under fire and change the name. If it gets too hot for the Bundy's will they just move the kids from Kidder, MO to Boonville, MO.

Why hasn't the State of Missouri learned it's lesson with the death of Roberto Reyes at Thayer. Now they are inviting WWASP in to their state to continue their enslavement and torture of children.  Heaven help us.

Credit: The Kansas City Star
By steve rock
Monday, March 21, 2005
Edition: METROPOLITAN, Section: METROPOLITAN, Page B1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The founder of a controversial Utah-based association of boarding schools has had discussions with city officials in Boonville, Mo., about purchasing Kemper Military School.

Kemper, the oldest military academy west of the Mississippi River when it closed in 2002, has been owned by the city since April 2003.

"I would not characterize this as an offer," said Ned Beach, president of the city's Industrial Development Authority. "But we're talking, and that's exciting."

The prospective buyer is Robert Lichfield, founder of the World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools. The association, based in St. George, Utah, provides services and guidance for a network of seven schools in the United States and Jamaica.

Some schools affiliated with the organization have been the subject of abuse allegations, and one U.S. congressman asked the Department of Justice to investigate the association and its schools.

Kemper, if purchased by Lichfield, would not be a member of the association's network. Instead, it would be subleased to Randall Hinton, who said he would help operate the school independently.

"We won't have any affiliation with WWASPS or anybody else," Hinton said.

Hinton, 30, would be part of the Kemper management team. He said he previously worked at homes for children, including some in the WWASPS network.

His vision for Kemper, he said, includes maintaining the name and the military theme. Uniformed students between 13 and 18 would receive an education while adhering to a regimented schedule.

At this point, though, he's not even sure Lichfield will make an offer.

"The buildings are severely damaged," Hinton said. "We've been going through just to see what it's going to cost to make it livable again."

Lichfield could not be reached for comment.

Though no money has changed hands, some members of Boonville's Industrial Development Authority are excited at the prospect of seeing Kemper up and running. The city purchased the school at auction for about $525,000 in April 2003 with the hope that one day the historic seven buildings would again be a vital component of Boonville.

Other groups have previously expressed interest, but nothing has panned out. Beach said there are two other "interested parties," but stressed that neither is as far along as the Lichfield group.

Rick Ball, a member of the authority, said Wednesday he had not spoken with Lichfield and did not know much about him.

WWASPS-affiliated schools have been the subject of abuse allegations, according to reports in newspapers such as The New York Times, and the association has been named as a defendant in several lawsuits. One school, Casa by the Sea, in Mexico, was shut down by Mexican authorities in September. Another, Majestic Ranch, in Utah, was the subject of a state investigation that resulted in a misdemeanor assault conviction last year.

The abuse allegations prompted George Miller, a U.S. congressman from California, to ask then-attorney general John Ashcroft to investigate the association.

In a November 2003 letter to Ashcroft, Miller wrote: "There have been serious allegations that hundreds of children have been mistreated or neglected. ... We believe that the Department of Justice should investigate whether federal laws concerning child abuse and neglect, interstate commerce or unfair or deceptive advertising have been broken by WWASPS or those operating these facilities."

Ken Kay, president of WWASPS, said Thursday that the first priority of the association and its schools is "the safety and well-being of the children." Since the association was founded in 1997, he said, more than 15,000 families have sent children to member schools. There have been only about 10 lawsuits in which the association was named as a defendant, he said, and nearly all of those were either dismissed or thrown out.

The Justice Department declined Miller's request to investigate, saying its authority did not extend to facilities outside the United States or those that were privately run.

Beach said city officials had done their due diligence on Lichfield and his group but found no reason to terminate talks.

The group would be subject to an additional round of scrutiny, city officials said, if it presented the city with a formal offer.

"We're not going to move quickly on this," said Steve Tillman, a member of the authority.

"It will definitely be debated in an open, public forum."

To reach Steve Rock, call (816) 234-4338 or send e-mail to [email protected].
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 02:55:00 PM »
Well, I've read a ton on these pages.. There seems to me to be one (1) kid who died-?.. Not to make light of it, but accidents can happen anywhere, especially when you're talking about kids with rotten behavior. If I saw a pattern other than what I've read on these pages, I'd be concerened. But frankly, it sounds like a small handfull of disgruntaled ex-inmates knocking the system, and a couple parents. I guess I'd like to know the stats on how many of the kids that went there and din't die cause of their behavior change (not doing or accelerating their drug use, not involved with gangs, not involved with violent illegal activity, etc) But these aren't #'s one can truly muster. But so far, I haven't been wowed. I went to a Military school, and although there were things that happened there that were questionable at times, the good it did by far outweighed the bad. there was hazing, and usually by their piers when kids were being detrimental to the group (their new family unit), and likely as not, the parents that are complaining about their kids "treatment" there are likely the ones who contributed to the behavior that brought their kids there to begin with. Either by direct, or indirect association ie: ignoring them, or not being involved. Not that they did anything, but rather were so wrapped up in their own lives that they saw tunnel vivion. And now, have taken up the "flag of protest".. I'm not trolling, it's truly the way I feel from what I've seen. I won't bother to put a name here, cause I've seen how folks are attacked with decenting opinions.. T.

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 10:48:00 AM »
military school is different than a "behavior modification" school.

You need to learn facts before you make such statements.  I enrolled my son there for two reasons: (1) they "supposedly" teach you how to cope with ADHD without medication; and (2) his grades were beginnig to fall and it seemed like the right answer in helping him in that arena.

My son was NOT a drug user, my son was NOT violent, my son was NOTt in a gang, my son had NEVER been in trouble with the law.  

My also didn't deserve to have his ankle fractured the first five minutes he was at the school because "he looked the drill instructor in the eyes".  He had just entered the doors of the school, how was he supposed to know that was "forbidden".  And, because he struggled against the drill instructor as they were breaking his ankle (who wouldnt?) he was considered "dangerous" and therefore tied to another student the entire time he was there!

Even after they fractured his ankle, and he requested medical treatment, they denied the medical treatment and forced him to exercise on the ankle approximately 18 hours a day.  

NOW, you tell me there isn't anything wrong with that?

And, that is just one example of the hell my son went through while he was there!  And, what is said, my son (to this day) is very concerned about another student enrolled there whom he said was abused even worse than him!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »
Anon, Roberto Reyes may have died from an alergic reaction to a spider bite. But, if you look into the details, he was very obviously critically ill for days and never received any treatment. Upon examination by medical people (too late to do him any good) they also discovered severe injuries indicating beating and dragging. That must have been one hell of a spider, huh? Like something out of a JR Tolkien adventure.

This is not just a little strict discipline to foster respect and responsibility. This is sadistic. The saddest part, imo, is that many of the parents sort of do know what's going on and tacitly approve. We're starting to get more info out of parents in recent years as the parent pseudo-professional referal part of the industry is growing. I think that's because they're less careful about making sure their marks are like-minded. More and more, we're hearing from parents who actually had no idea what they were getting into.

In all life one should comfort the afflicted, but verily, also, one should afflict the comfortable, and especially when they are comfortably, contentedly, even happily wrong

--John Kenneth Galbraith

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline scbmv8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 08:32:00 PM »
I am a reporter for a newspaper in Columbia, MO. Does anyone know of anyone who has gone through one of the WWASP programs (good or bad)? Is anyone from mid-MO and has strong thoughts on WWASP trying to buy Kemper in Boonville?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 12:10:00 AM »
Hell, I don't know. You're there. Who from MO is trying to buy it? Take the name and hit google w/ it. All I know is Lichfield's got an offer up and, last I heard, it looke like they were going to accept it.

No citizen of a liberal and democratic nation profits from a victorious war.
--Ludwig von Mises

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 01:24:00 AM »
reporter from MO. Ask randall hinton about his toilet scrub brush .His tool of choice for torturing defenseless kid(s).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 04:16:00 AM »
On 2005-04-05 17:32:00, scbmv8 wrote:

"I am a reporter for a newspaper in Columbia, MO. Does anyone know of anyone who has gone through one of the WWASP programs (good or bad)? Is anyone from mid-MO and has strong thoughts on WWASP trying to buy Kemper in Boonville?"

You might like to try asking ISAC.  They might be able to put you in touch.

Offline ExSgtRocha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »
Just saw an article.  The council has denied Lichfield and Hinton from purchasing Kemper.

YEAH YEAH YEAH !!!!!!

JOB WELL DONE !!!!!

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 09:53:00 AM »
where did you see it?  i knew it was up for vote again last night.  i went on a letter writing campaign to all the council members, as well as the mayor.  they seemed interested in the public's comments because a couple of them wrote me back with questions about Thayer and about WWASP.

Offline ExSgtRocha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »
Go to Hot Topics and then down to WWASP.  under that it states Boonville rejects