Author Topic: What about "Carlbrook School"?  (Read 89380 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
What about "Carlbrook School"?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 02:39:19 PM »
Karen will be by shortly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
carlbrook
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2006, 01:32:11 PM »
I went to Carlbrook from July 05 to June 06... the experiences i had there were both positive and negative... First off, i had very very little behavioral problems and virtually no drug or alchohol problems. I feel i was placed there unfairly. My ed-consultant was the owners mother and my wood's therapist was their close family friend. I feel i was placed at Carlbrook out of convience and manipulation, not out of actually need. Carlbrook felt like Jail. My advisor was extremely manipulative and by the end of my stay there i was being attacked and singled out by almost all the staff and many students. The owner, Grant Price is an absolute mad man. He has no qualification to run that school other than the fact that he went to a tbs previously. In groups most of the staff cuss the students out and manipulate them to believe that they really need carlbrook's help in order to even survive in the "real World". They convince completely normal and talented kids that they "hate themselves" and make them feel they have nowhere else to turn. The emotional manipulation there is unreal. They believe that a student who has any natural spunk or spirit must first be broken by carlbrook and then built back up. If you decide to not fully comply emotionally to the program and philosophy there you are isolated from your friends and made to feel like an outcast from everyone around. they put you on 'Bans' which mean you cannot talk to a certain group of people for reasons only Carlbrook can justify. It is borderline INSANE! In my last 3 weeks there, i was placed in "suspension" which is basically a room in which you sit at a desk and stare straight ahead. You cannot look at any other studetn, talk to any one unless raising your hand or being adressed by a staff first. You have virtually NO contact with anyone other than the security staff in that room. When you do leave the room you must walk in a straight line with your head down and are forbidden to look up. I was placed in there because someone said that i was gossiping about other studetns which was completely false. It was complete injustice.. And Andy Coe... this man is the devil. He lied and told the whole school this heart-wrenching story about the near death of his daughter which was completely UNTRUE. the staff lies to the studetns in order to make them feel a certain way. Most of the Therapy was BULLSHIT!!!!! the only staff that really cared abotu the kids were the maintainance staff, teachers, cooking staff, security staff, and a VERY small number of advisors.... Parents need to think VERY VERY long and hard b4 making a drastic decision to send your child to a hell hole like this. and if you do.... there better be absolutely NO other option for them

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2006, 07:13:11 PM »
Wow, SC Student.  Sadly, that's an all too familiar tale.  It explains the extreme devotion and fanatical responses to criticisms of the school.  They cannot tolerate any type of critical, rational thought.   Their entire premise depends on isolation and making the victim vulnerable enough to be manipulated into believing pretty much anything.  It also explains how they can try and claim that any of it is voluntary.  They don't see coercion and isolation for what it really is...brainwashing.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2006, 10:23:51 PM »
SC Student-   I was at Carlbrook and you don't get to Carlbrook by being a normal and talented kid. You get there because you are a fuck up. why are you blaming your edcon and grant for you being there?  Your parents put you there and I'm sure they put you there because you were doing really well in school and treating your familoy great. i bet you never smoked a joint or sold drugs either.
I agree Andy Coe is a nutcase, but you probably hate your advisor and Grant because they kicked your ass.  Tell us what you are doing now.  I bet you are still fuckin gup.  Carlbrook can only do so much.  the rest is up to you.  I hated group too when I was there and I was always on bans , but I finally realized I needed to figure some stuff out so I could avoid the shit tht go tme there int he first place.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2006, 10:58:23 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I hated group too when I was there and I was always on bans , but I finally realized I needed to figure some stuff out so I could avoid the shit tht go tme there int he first place.

You didn't hate group, you are still in it.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 11:16:05 PM »
SC Student-   I was at Carlbrook and you don't get to Carlbrook by being a normal and talented kid. You get there because you are a fuck up. why are you blaming your edcon and grant for you being there?  Your parents put you there and I'm sure they put you there because you were doing really well in school and treating your familoy great. i bet you never smoked a joint or sold drugs either.

Wait, now I've heard a lot of people supporting Carlbrook claim that it's not a therapeutic school.  Are you saying that it is?

I agree Andy Coe is a nutcase, but you probably hate your advisor and Grant because they kicked your ass.  Tell us what you are doing now.  I bet you are still fuckin gup.  Carlbrook can only do so much.  the rest is up to you.  I hated group too when I was there and I was always on bans , but I finally realized I needed to figure some stuff out so I could avoid the shit tht go tme there int he first place.

This is precisely what I'm talking about and what the anon was describing.  Convince the kid that he would be deadinsaneorinjail...how many times have we all seen that?  Break the kid to the point where they actually believe that they would have died without the place.  Make them absolutely dependent and fanatically devoted to the program and it's gurus.  How do you know that?  Most kids grow out of their idiotic behavior, yes even dangerous behavior.  Most of it is part of growing up and it scares the living shit out of parents and they become desperate and vulnerable to these conmen.  I hate to keep hawking this but it's just explains so much when you read the posts of those two students above and then read these (under General Information, particularly the first 3)...

http://www.ex-cult.org/

Grant kicking people's ass?  Care to explain that or are we to take that literally?
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook from my perspective..
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2007, 03:48:19 PM »
I myself graduated from Carlbrook School in 2004.  I was sent there against my will because of my extreme drug and alcohol use, lack of respect for my parents and the law, and I stopped going to school.  At first I was resistant, but I learned to love it.  Not in the sort of way that its forced upon you (although in some aspects it is).  

It's entirely how you choose to look at the situation.  If you choose to look at it as a negative, controlling environment, you will find any and all reasons to back up your belief.  And vice versa.

The staff, while I was there, only had the students' best interests in mind.  Granted the teachers could have been better, you're in the middle of Virginia, what do you expect  (No offense).  All the teachers were friendly and willing to help, although with the amount of highly intelligent teens that were attending while I was there, this area could have been improved.

I met a lot of great people there, staff and students alike, and have kept in touch with them since graduation.  I went back out and used drugs and alcohol for a while, dealing with some unresolved issues.  Eventually I made the decision that I couldn't live that way anymore.  I have been sober coming up on 8 months now and I am extremely proud of this.

Carlbrook gave me the tools to live my life to the fullest.  I learned so much from the workshops we went through while I was there, as well as some of the group sessions we had.  While I talk to some of the staff there on occassion (Tim Brace, Jonathan Gurney, John Henson), they will never know just how much they have helped me.

I see things completely different than I did before I went to Carlbrook, and I wouldn't give that up for anything in the world.  I am extremely fortunate and grateful for this opportunity, to my parents for doing everything they did, and for life in general.  

If you are interested in talking with me about this, just leave a reply and I can send you an e-mail.  My dad showed me this link, so I thought I would check it out and leave some of my own experiences.  Take care.

-I Am Giving And Responsible-

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2007, 03:50:41 PM »
SC Student-   I was at Carlbrook and you don't get to Carlbrook by being a normal and talented kid. You get there because you are a fuck up.

Mystical Manipulation
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Carlbrook from my perspective..
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2007, 03:52:40 PM »
Quote from: ""NoLongerTroubled""
I have been sober coming up on 8 months now and I am extremely proud of this.

You are powerless and trust god to keep you sober, right? (Let go and let god)

Well.  Let me ask you this:  what if your god hates you?

What if he thinks you deserve to die?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 04:01:44 PM by Guest »
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2007, 03:55:42 PM »
I am a Carlbrook survivor.

The key of Carlbrook is to make the kids think that they are reliant on the program, then give them a valued and seemingly inspirational basis on which they should attempt to live their daily lives. However, the situations and explanations given for an individual's therapy are unrealistic in such an isolated and exaggerated community like Carlbrook, and I can find very little or no real life application of whatever was pressed on me during my time at the school.

My key to getting through life? Stop thinking about it and start doing it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Carlbrook from my perspective..
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2007, 03:57:03 PM »
Quote from: ""psy""
Quote from: ""NoLongerTroubled""
I have been sober coming up on 8 months now and I am extremely proud of this.

You are powerless and trust god to keep you sober, right? (Let go and let god)

Well.  Let me ask you this:  what if your god hates you?

Or what if that "God" flat out doesn't exist? I don't lean either way, but the reality is that we can not know.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2007, 03:59:05 PM »
I bet you are still fuckin gup.

Why.. he must be.  Without the great "savior" of Carlbrook.  :roll:  Worship your program!  that's it.. get down on your knees and worship!

Carlbrook can only do so much.  the rest is up to you.  I hated group too when I was there and I was always on bans , but I finally realized I needed to figure some stuff out so I could avoid the shit tht go tme there int he first place.

Was anybody there who didn't need to be there?

Answer that.. Then answer this:

To your knowledge did Carlbrook ever reject somebody on the basis of "not needing it"?

Offline Charly

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2007, 04:03:41 PM »
Nolongertroubled-  send me a Private Message on this forum with your email address.  My son left Carlbrook in 2004.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2007, 04:05:28 PM »
Quote from: ""Charly""
Nolongertroubled-  send me a Private Message on this forum with your email address.  My son left Carlbrook in 2004.

YA.  I can vouch for this parent.  She is legit.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2007, 04:11:54 PM »
I am a Carlbrook survivor.

The key of Carlbrook is to make the kids think that they are reliant on the program, then give them a valued and seemingly inspirational basis on which they should attempt to live their daily lives. However, the situations and explanations given for an individual's therapy are unrealistic in such an isolated and exaggerated community like Carlbrook, and I can find very little or no real life application of whatever was pressed on me during my time at the school.

Well said