Author Topic: Step Inc.? never heard of it before  (Read 1313 times)

Offline `

• View Profile
Step Inc.? never heard of it before
« on: March 16, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »
Times Publishing Company  
St. Petersburg Times (Florida)

May 27, 1993, Thursday, City Edition

SECTION: COMMUNITY TIMES; Pg. 1

DISTRIBUTION: COMMUNITY TIMES

LENGTH: 596 words

HEADLINE: 'I had a second chance'

BYLINE: LISA CUNNINGHAM

DATELINE: TAMPA

BODY:
 The drinking started for Grant Nations when he was about 10 years old. He  said he was trying to gain acceptance from his peers.

"Then after that, I liked it," Nations said.

Eventually, he was drinking, smoking marijuana, sniffing inhalants and  abusing over-the-counter medicines.

So his parents checked him into the Step Inc. program for alcoholics. He  was just 14.

"I didn't want to go," Nations said. It was eight months into the  program, which operates similar to the Straight Inc. program, that he finally  realized he had a problem.

Now, Nations talks to teenagers about his experience.

The Kiwanis Club of Tampa gave Nations, a Chamberlain High School senior,  its 11th annual youth leadership award Wednesday. More than 100 club members  and their guests attended the luncheon at the Riverside Hotel in downtown  Tampa.

Nations was chosen because of his "strong commitment to leading other  young people in the right direction, exhibited by his active volunteer work"  in Tampa, said Kiwanis member Bob Lewis.

Nations' guidance counselor, Sandra Schmidt, nominated him for the award.  "Grant made some wise choices" when he chose his friends at Chamberlain, she  said.

His parents, Glen and Susan Nations, also came to the luncheon. Grant  thanked them for their role in changing his life.

"I really had no earthly idea that what I'd been through was going to  affect so many people," Nations told the group. "I used to be a follower. I  used to envy the people who could lead."

He has spoken about his addiction at events sponsored by the Fellowship of  Christian Athletes. He also has talked at Students Against Driving Drunk  assemblies at his school and at Buchanan Junior High School.

The Step program is "very tough," Nations said. Counselors are all  graduates of the program. Sessions are 12 hours long each day.

"Until you prove yourself, you're not even allowed to go to school," he  said. "All your privileges are taken away" and gradually given back. If  someone is caught drinking or using drugs, privileges are again revoked.

Nations spent 19 months in the program. The last six months were a  follow-up period. It was similar to prison because "you can't get away," he  said.

He was taken completely off drugs, which "wasn't so bad," Nations said.  "You had only yourself, and you had to deal with what was coming."

After his treatment, Nations played football and baseball at Chamberlain.  In 1991-92, he was named the school's Male Athlete of the Year.

He earned a 4.0 grade-point average and joined many student organizations,  including the National Honor Society, Student Council, the Science Academic  Society and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

Nations will attend Baylor University this fall. He will major in business  administration.

Peer pressure is "not that big a deal after all," Nations said. "I  haven't drank in 3 1/2 years, and no one has ridiculed me. You don't have to  drink to be popular.

"I had a second chance. They (the kids he talks to) may not have a second  chance."

The club also recognized Curtis Frazier for his work with Tampa youth in  the YMCA/Tampa Housing Authority sports program. Frazier served time in prison  in 1988.

After his release, Frazier became a counselor for Young Life Urban  Ministries. In 1991, he rescued three children from a burning house in West  Tampa.

Frazier now counsels children on how to stay away from a life of crime.

Frazier was given a $ 100 savings bond, and Nations was awarded a $ 250  check.

GRAPHIC: BLACK AND WHITE PHOTO; Grant Nations, a Chamberlain High School senior, received the Kiwanis Club of Tampa's annual youth leadership award.

LOAD-DATE: May 27, 1993
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »
Cool.  I remember Grant from Step.  And he's still leading a productive and healthy lifestyle today!  Great article.  Thanks for sharing it.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 03:53:00 PM »
Really? What is he producing?

I don't think we're here for anything, we're just products of evolution. You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch.
--Dr. James Watson, American biologist

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 06:39:00 PM »
On 2005-03-16 12:53:00, Antigen wrote:

"Really? What is he producing?

I don't think we're here for anything, we're just products of evolution. You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch.
--Dr. James Watson, American biologist

"

Wouldn't you like to know.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 11:00:00 PM »
STEP is an offshoot program from LIFE.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 11:22:00 PM »
:tup:  thanks for the info

fka

Offline The Graduate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »
Wow this kid stays "clean", makes a 4.0, handles public speaking engagements, works as a drug counselor, is male athlete of the year, and saved 3 children from a burning home.

Oh who cares he still stopped drinking, which makes him a quitter in my book.

Offline PerfectStraightling

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 01:23:00 PM »
Yes but that article is from 93, and it looks like he probably graduated in 90 or so. That leaves a lot of time since that he could have screwed up  :wink: