Author Topic: UTAH SENATOR SIGNS BILL!!!  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
UTAH SENATOR SIGNS BILL!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 12:35:00 AM »
And one more thing - perhaps it would be nice if people would take the time now to thank Governor Huntsman for what he has done. Maybe, just maybe, being grateful will show him we are credible people with a cause worth fighting for ... our children. ::drummer::
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 12:41:00 AM »
Did you mean credible or credulous?

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.  
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188301123X/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>George Washington

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 10:13:00 PM »
This is great news!  WWASPS has been wanting this to happen for quite a while now.  I know many WWASPS parents and grads that wrote in support of this bill for obvious reasons, and some not so obvious.  Could it be that this will finally put the abuse allegations to rest??

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »
Good answer. Thanks!

See what I mean about more regulation, Deb? Once the lobbyists and big buck donors are all done, it goes from a potentially helpful new set of rules to a total whitewash. Isn't this pretty much what always happens?  :roll:

As de dawg chases it's tail.

Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror.
--Francois Marie Arouet "Voltaire", French author and playwright

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 01:48:00 AM »
Yes, I understand exactly what you mean, and as I've said before, I don't put alot of faith in any state regulatory agency to protect kids myself. It's a near impossibility.

But, when there are allegations against a private corporation, the state can't even do an investigation without going through a bunch of rigamaroll (sp?).

Look at ASR and several others who have refused to cooperate- refused to become licensed and monitored. That's pretty damned arrogant, given that they are absolutely RTCs, take insurance money, money from school districts, the kid is labeled 'disabled' so parents write off visits.
Visits to these programs which are classified as boarding schools with the state. Talk about ODD!!

Society has rules for everyone. Any business that offers services to the public has certain rules they must follow- how they will deliver those services, how they must treat those they 'serve', etc. And, for no other reason, those who are running teen warehouses should also be required to follow certain societal rules, to the extent that this can/will happen. Secondly, it gives more teeth to the state if/when they do take action- which may happen more often with stronger pressure from the public.

I have no pollyanna fantasy that stronger regs is an absolute solution. I think it is a piece of the puzzle. A good interum strategy until collectively, people come to their senses and/or programs realize that they need to treat kids in their 'care' more respectfully. I do believe that some are beginning to realize this as we speak.

And... unfortunately, there is the possibility that absolutely nothing will change. I hope that won't be the case, but it would not surprise me in the least. I am pleased with the passing of this Bill, for whatever great or small difference it might make.

While I appreciate your prediction that the industry will die a natural death in 20-30 years, I'm not so sure. Out-of-home placements have been around for many, many years- religious reform homes, boot camps, military schools- RTCs/Wilderness are just the latest addition, and more appealing to the white middle class. While some may die off over time, I imagine there will always be parents looking to ditch their kid, and an ample number of programs available to supply the demand. And they should technically be subject to some rules of operation.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 02:17:00 AM »
PS Next point of attack- Ken Stettler- who has proven time and time again that he is not capable of or unwilling to carry out his duties as defined by law. Utah had some fairly decent regulations before this bill, but those regulations are worthless when they are not enforced. They aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Ex: his office found 1 (or was it 2) violations at Skyline Journey. Reviewing court testimony and news articles I found 20 some.

Utah Licensing needs someone with integrity who will take their job and the welfare of children seriously, conduct thorough investigations, and issue stiff fines for violations, who will not hesitate to close programs found to be grossly and/or repeatedly in violation. Until that happens, I will remain skeptical in terms of any real change.

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2005-03-20 00:01 ]
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »
On 2005-03-19 22:48:00, Deborah wrote:

"While some may die off over time, I imagine there will always be parents looking to ditch their kid, ...

"

Is that really the way you look at parents in fear for their child's life choices?  There may be a few out there that just want to dump their kid off somewhere, but most are not thinking like that.  If all they wanted to do is ditch their kid, they could do it a hell of a lot cheaper somewhere else.

Y'all have been screaming for regulation, now you've got it and it's not good enough?

What is good enough?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »
On 2005-03-20 08:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

If all they wanted to do is ditch their kid, they could do it a hell of a lot cheaper somewhere else.

Yeah, but if they dump them off at a program that's supposedly 'good for them', then the parents can walk away with a 'clear conscience' and everyone will praise them for being such a good parent  :roll:  :roll:

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2005, 02:49:00 AM »
No, they tell the parent how strong they are for repressing their instincts and giving up their kid to a secretive program thats not far removed from mystery-religions, totally unaware of whats going on and meeking tolerating 3 months of secrecy and lack of contact as if Dr. Phil was talking down to them in the literal sense.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.
--Anonymous

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."