Treatment Abuse, Behavior Modification, Thought Reform > EdCons and referring organizations and agencies

DOS edcons?


I heard it from a young person that the Department of State offers educational consulting for it's employees. This kid spent some time in one of the programs of interest to folks around here and mentioned a few other program names.

Anybody know anything about this? is worth discussing radical changes, not in the expectation that they will be adopted promptly but for two other reasons. One is to construct an ideal goal, so that incremental changes can be judged by whether they move the institutional structure toward or away from that ideal. The other reason is very different. It is so that if a crisis requiring or facilitating radical change does arise, alternatives will be available that have been carefully developed and fully explored."

Milton Friedman
--- End quote ---

I think I posted something on that a long while ago. I'll look for it when time allows.

I think this may be what you're looking for? Guess they should remove CEDU.  :smile: ... 32&forum=9

Notice who is on the US State Dept's list of 'Specialty' schools.

Boarding School Options for the Foreign Service Child

Did you know that FLO's Education and Youth officer can help you with boarding school options and placements? Since the beginning of the Family Liaison Office twenty-five years ago, the Education and Youth officer has developed contacts with numerous American boarding schools in the United States and Europe. It is a priority of this office to remain current on the programs and options available in various types of residential programs.

The Education and Youth officer often visits different boarding schools that cover a huge range of programs to include junior boarding schools, all-boys, all-girls, co-ed, post graduate, special needs schools, and emotional growth programs. Websites and viewbooks are helpful, but it really takes an on-campus visit with students, faculty, and administrators to get a true feel for what makes each school unique. Most importantly, it is vital the school be the right fit for the student and the student?s needs. The huge range of opportunities that exist out there for our kids is exciting and inspiring. If boarding school is in your child?s future, then please contact us at - The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS) - links to a variety of boarding schools for troubled teens [WWASP] - detailed school profiles and student reviews of the nation's leading boarding schools - 200 private schools and summer programs - Boarding schools for younger children - Junior Boarding Schools Association (boarding schools for younger children grades 1 - 9). - Western Boarding Schools Association (Boarding schools in the western United States). - Midwest Boarding Schools Online (boarding schools in the midwestern region of the United States). - Southeastern Association of Boarding Schools (boarding schools in the southeastern United States). - Catholic Boarding Schools Association. - Boarding schools in the United Kingdom. - Free help selecting boarding schools in the United Kingdom. - United Kingdom boarding schools. - Boarding schools for troubled teens. - National Association of Private Special Education Centers (NAPSEC) - (boarding schools for children with special needs). - AFSA's Foreign Service Journal listing of boarding schools. - Aspen Education Group offers 11 therapeutic boarding schools and residential treatment programs for youth and young adults. Aspen?s customized learning communities serve youth and young adults with special needs, ADD/ADHD, oppositional behavior, mental health and emotional needs. They offer intervention and hope through competent treatment teams, therapeutic communities and customized care.

Admissions Testing - The Secondary School Admission Test is offered by the Educational Testing Service. It consists of two parts: a brief essay, and a multiple-choice aptitude test which measures a student's ability to solve mathematics problems, to use language, and to comprehend what is read. The SSAT is frequently required for admission to boarding and other independent schools.

Department of State Resources

Office of Allowances - for information on the "away from post" education allowance.

Office of Overseas Schools
Employee Consultation Service - for information about appropriate special needs facilities and approval for additional funding to meet the educational needs of children with special needs.

Contact the Family Liaison Office Education and Youth Officer for additional information and resources.

Information provided by the Family Liaison Office

Who is the 'Foreign Service Child'?
In order to make the best educational choices for our children, it is important to understand the effects of a mobile lifestyle on them. David Pollock, a leading expert on the effects of international mobility on adolescents, notes that young people who spend a significant length of time out of their own culture develop a culture of their own. The new culture is made up of what they bring from their home (or their parents' home) culture intermingled with those cultural cues and experiences from the other cultures in which they have lived. Sociologist Ruth Hill Useem uses the term Third Culture Kid (TCK) to describe these young people. All who live abroad are changed by the experience. However, the impact on young people is longer-lasting. As child psychiatrist Jack Smith said, "The Foreign Service is what adults do. It is what our children are."

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2005-03-29 20:45 ]


[0] Message Index

Go to full version