Author Topic: Come to our senses...  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Come to our senses...
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
There's a running joke about diplomas in homeschooling circles. Basically, anyone can issue a diploma. It won't do you a bit of good in college, unless it's issued by some accrediting agency that the college accepts. Don't worry, though. W/o it, you can take alternative routes. You just have to work w/ the admissions people. Sometimes they'll accept an entrance exam or similar type formal testing. It just depends on the school, the courses you want to take and such like. You have to impress them personally w/ your ability and determination, unless they're already predisposed to favor homeschoolers. (and some are, believe it or not)

Anyway, one diploma isn't just as good as another. But the real joke is that, aside from higher education, nobody cares. They never check! I got talked into taking my GED test when I was around 20 years old. I was told, and believed, that you just can't get anywhere in this life w/o the proper certification. But no one has ever asked to see it, ever. I know a lot of people like that. One guy is pulling down well over $75k/yr as an engineer for IBM w/o ever having bothered to certify his highschool education, let along any engineering degrees or anything. That's not to say that it's easy. Far from it. This guy just happens to be like some kind of savant when it comes to computing and telophony and he's busted his ass relentlessly for the past 30 years to get where he is.

Step 1. We came to understand that the government is powerless over people's private use of drugs and that the War on Drugs was making the government's life unmanageable.

--Scott Tillinghast

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Come to our senses...
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 05:19:00 PM »
But STILL--Parents enrolling their kids at Whitmore Academy DID NOT BUY INTO HOME SCHOOLING. They bought INTO a "fully accredited school that was advertised as having certified teachers."  That is what was advertised, and that is what parents were told by Sue Scheff at P.U.R.E.  That was the expectation...that is in the contract...and that is what the Sudweeks SAY...so that is what must be DELIVERED!
Home Schooling is a great concept. Works wonderfully for thousands of families.  But the operative word is HOME. These kids were not at home. They were "sent away to SCHOOL."

Offline HOWBIZARRE

• View Profile
Come to our senses...
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 11:19:00 PM »
My senior year was the year I spent at the whitmore, and honestly I don't think I would have felt much different about my diploma if I would have obtained it through a tradtional high school system. I don't feel as though I "stole" the diploma because utah's schooling system was a lot different than the other states I attended school in. In fact, with all the credits I had from my 9th, 10th, and 11th grade years in school, I was basically half way done with my senior year according to Utah's requirements for a diploma when I arrived at the whitmore.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Come to our senses...
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 11:22:00 PM »
On 2005-03-16 14:19:00, Anonymous wrote:

But STILL--Parents enrolling their kids at Whitmore Academy DID NOT BUY INTO HOME SCHOOLING.

Right. But that horse is already out of the chute. What now for these kids?

That it is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can provide evidence which logically justifies that certainty. This is what agnosticism asserts and in my opinion, is all that is essential to agnosticism.
--Thomas Henry Huxley, English biologist

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Come to our senses...
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 11:25:00 PM »
HOWBIZARRE, are you in/headed for college?

The problem with the "teen help" industry is that it's a bad "solution" in search of a problem.

http://fornits.com/wwf/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=943' target='_new'>Julie C.

Offline Mr. Bean

• View Profile
Come to our senses...
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2005, 02:52:00 AM »
TONY/ANTHONY/ELLIOT/MR. T/ MR. BEAN,  come on kids everybody knows who I am by now. Get with your sences THE WHITMORE is a great place take it from a former student I atleast have the right to say something. Most of you on here are atleast in their 30s 40s maybe even 50s how sad don't you have a life a job you troubled teens to take care of who should be at the whitmore because you can't handle them yourself (GET A LIFE)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Come to our senses...
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »
Is that opinion of your own parents, Mr. Bean?