Author Topic: Hidden Lake academy  (Read 75517 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« on: March 12, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »
i heard this was  a very expensive boarding school for kids with add/adhd. but i have seen some negatives here. i always wished we had chosen this one, but it was very expenisve. are there any graduates out there with how it was?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 08:03:00 AM »
if you knew everything about the hla program, you'd be glad you never sent your kid there.  if you desire a subpar (nearly nonexistant) education, isolation and emotional withdrawal for your kid, then you should be sure to place him/her at hla.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 08:27:00 AM »
http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.ph ... orum=9&101

Greater expense does not insure greater quality.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 10:11:00 AM »
wow, i had no idea. i hope more pple see this.

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 11:10:00 AM »
Consider yourself lucky you didnt choose this program.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 02:25:00 PM »
what is funny robertbruce is that i really was disappointed that we didnt go there, now i see almost all of the programs have a not good side.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 05:46:00 PM »
Isn't that fairly obvious, though? I mean, what do you expect? How gullible do you have to be to believe that someone's going to take your kid, radically change their behavior and beliefs in only a positive way (by what definition, positive?) and have absolutely no other effect on them?

A lot of people believe firmly that old saw that you can't change someone against their will. That's just not true. It's really easy, in fact. Especially when you're talking about immature kids. You just have to break their will first. That's all.

A democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
A republic is where the sheep get to pick which wolves vote on what to have for dinner.
But in a constitutional republic, voting on dinner is strictly
forbidden.

--A Patriot

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 03:56:00 PM »
HLA is bureaucracy at its worst.  Due to my family situation i only left once in the two years that i was there.  I had plenty of places that i could go but since non were blood relatives i wasn't able to leave.  When i attended the school was horrific in academics, i actually helped teach a chemistry and physics class.  The methods they use for therapy are a combination of military, prison, and some pre-freudian psych.  I can go into great detail about it, but never the less i would recommend looking for alternatives.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »
On 2005-04-06 12:56:00, Anonymous wrote:

"HLA is bureaucracy at its worst.  Due to my family situation i only left once in the two years that i was there.  I had plenty of places that i could go but since non were blood relatives i wasn't able to leave.  When i attended the school was horrific in academics, i actually helped teach a chemistry and physics class.  The methods they use for therapy are a combination of military, prison, and some pre-freudian psych.  I can go into great detail about it, but never the less i would recommend looking for alternatives."

This is typical of these type of places.  

The fewer kids that leave the facility and the fewer hours spent out of the facility means a lower risk of contact with the public and less public understanding of what transpires on the grounds...And that's EXACTLY how they like it.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline SHH Anon Classics

• View Profile
    • http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=13488&forum=41&start=34#165552
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 10:32:00 PM »
According to their newsletter, the students do community service work with the elderly and children in the county where the school is located. It also says on their website that they go to baseball games and other functions in Atlanta. Is this not true? They show photos of these events on their website. Wouldnt that put the kids in outside environments? Or are you saying they are just prevented from outside contact just with their parents. They are supposed to see their parents every 4 months from what it says on their website. Are you saying the info on the website is false?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 12:24:00 AM »
Based on my experience:
They not only have little to no contact with parents, but also siblings, grandparents and other extended family. My mother didn't have contact with my son for two years, except for two very brief visits- one a funeral, which took an act of congress to get him home for. Nor did my daughter, an excellent young adult role model.

You are viewing promotional material. It appears reasonable, doesn't it? Parents go into this beieving they will see their children every four months- not bad huh? Why else would they  abdicate contact/ control for two years?? These programs play desperate parents like a fiddle.

Can't quote the stats, but I would bet money that the majority don't get their 8 month home visit.
While 'seasonal breaks' are listed, the teen can loose visits home due to behavioral issues OR for having academic incompletes. If the kid is not 'with the program' come 7-7.5 months, you can be assured that they will be put on restriciton and held during the break.
"Due to the eligibility requirements for seasonal breaks, we normally have a substantial percentage of our students remaining on campus during these breaks."

"To be eligible for seasonal breaks, students must meet the following criteria: *Students must have completed Earth Element to be eligible for Winter Break. * Students must have completed Water Element to be eligilble for all other seasonal breaks, including Thanksgiving Break."

In other words... depends on when their peer group forms as to whether or not they will get the upcoming seasonal break. To really get a sense of when one would be eligible, you really need to know about those 'Elements'.
Depending on how long it take for the PG to form (18 kids- 3,4 months) the end of Earth would occur between 4-8 months. The end of Water could be 8 to 12 months. Get the picture?

You can fairly reasonably assume that your kid is going to be presented by the facility to be far more 'troubled' than you had imagined, once they are enrolled. If they have tried pot, they will be harrassed until they admit they are an addict. If they have had sex, they are promicuous. You will be informed of all the 'deep, dark, secrets' they have gotten your kid to 'divulge'. And I think it's safe to say, that the majority will be presented to parents as defiant, in denial, and not working their program- hence the need to stay on campus and focus on their 'personal growth'.

I would also like to see an honest survey of how many kids actually leave campus for those fun events in Atlanta, or Dahlonega for that matter. And how many are 'fun' and how many are actually 'community service'- uh, that's 'punishment'. If those pro games and other events actually do happen, only the kids who are performing 'perfectly' will be attending. My guess, that's a very small percentage- if any at all. You can put any event you want on the calendar. How many actually happen? No 'problem' kid is going to get off the premises. Period.

If you're considering any program, you should request a copy of the Parent Manual and diligently study the fine print. Might even have an attorney or advocate review it.

Every business in the world is going to embellish their promotional materials and slant the information to their audience. Surely you know this. Just as when buying a car or home, you're a fool if you don't analyze the fine print, and ask questions if you don't understand.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline SHH

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 07:12:00 AM »
Deborah the community service was taking christmas meals to the elderly, chopping wood for the elderly and ill, and doing things with the children in the pre k programs in town. NOT punishment. The school also owns 4 buses that they take kids to events in. THey are green and seat about 30 kids each and say HLA on the side and each one has an A,B,C, or D letter. Why do I know about the buses? Because I went with my husband to Jacksonville, FL to look at the facility where they are made and where my husband purchased them. They were purchased I believe in 1998. they wanted to check out the size and cost and safety of them. Why spend money on buses if they dont want the kids off campus? Why dont you tell the truth to that person who asked? dont make it sound as if NO kids go anywhere. Dont make it sound as if parents dont see their kids for months. I saw hundreds of parents come to seminars and to pick their kids up for visits. I personally babysat 2 children who came with their parents to see their sibling. Maybe it is the kids own fault they missed the visit. Maybe the kids should be held accountable sometimes. NOt all these kids are innocent abused children. Some are manipulative and dont want to do what they are told. NOt all I know..but some are. Maybe your kid had a bad experience..I cant speak for that because I dont think I lived there when he was there. But I do KNOW what the kids did for community service and it was NOT punishment. Helping others is not punishment..unless youre a spoiled brat and think that way. I said I wasnt going to post anymore on this crap...but sometimes the truth just needs to be sorted out from the bullshit and over exxagerations.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 08:34:00 AM »
Still trolling around this board, Mrs. Gray?

I just don't understand how a "cafeteria lady" could possibly know the ins-and-outs of a BM School.

Either you actually don't know and are speculating (this is what I believe) or some people with therapeutic responsibilities have broken their code of ethics to fill you in on the details (there was a lot of that going on there, too).

So, please, Mrs. Gray, don't encourage people to send their kids to places like HLA.  You simply lack the understanding to provide advice to anyone about these programs.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline SHH

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 12:11:00 PM »
I never worked in the cafeteria, Dysfunction Junction...I worked as a teacher's clerical assistant. My ex has been employed there since 4 months before it opened.  And I saw the parents drive up the road by my house for the workshops so I know how many parents came to pick up their children for visits and for workshops.  And I also personally saw the community service work being done in town and knew who they helped because I had friends with the Rainbow home and the NOAA organization and with the Pre-K program. They also took kids into town for church services too with those buses. I was speaking about the kids going off campus for visits and for outings, so I dont need a psychology degree to tell people about what I actually physically saw with my own eyes, I am speaking from my OWN experience. And I have referred friends to the school for possible placement of their children, if I thought it was such an awful place I wouldnt have done that now would I. Oh and by the way, I am NO troll...I am voicing my opinion JUST LIKE YOU.

OH, and I am NOT Mrs. Gray. So quit calling me that. That is not my name. [ This Message was edited by: SHH on 2005-04-07 09:12 ]

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Hidden Lake academy
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 08:01:00 AM »
So now you're making referrals?  Isn't that wonderful?

Someone who admittedly has no knowledge of child psychology and has never been involved in treatment in any appreciable way now contends that she has the cognitive horsepower to advise on children's education and mental health.

For that, my dear, you DO need a degree.

However, at HLA, having no degree and no experience may, in actuality, qualify you to be the clinical treatment director.  Well, maybe you need a PHONY degree, but you can get that by mailorder for a couple of hundred bucks.

So when are you moving back on campus to assume your new duties, Mrs. Gray?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control