Author Topic: They System Is the Whole Problem and You Are Accountable  (Read 10628 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
They System Is the Whole Problem and You Are Accountable
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »
"Roy", why don't you get yourself over there to the conferences?  Show us how it's done.  You seem eager to goad the rest into it... go ahead.  You get the press, and let us know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2005, 08:12:00 PM »
It sounds like "Roy" is really behind the demonstrators--way behind them.  Nice.  

He wants these poor stupid kids to take the chance of being arrested.  Because they will be told to leave private property, you can bank on it...and of course they'll think they're in some sixties re-run and they won't do (hell no)...and then they get a record or a beating or worse.  

So I say what the last poster did, I think you'd have to be stupid to go but "Roy" if you're so gung ho, why don't you take the hit instead of playing big mastermind while somebody else takes a chance

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2005, 08:47:00 PM »
so what's it gonna be, Roy?  Put your money where your mouth is.  Or will you just disappear for a few days, then reappear with more inciting rhetoric?  Now is your chance.  Do it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2005, 08:58:00 PM »
Roy's a bitch, let him sleep.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2005, 11:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the entertainment. You see, I feed the trolls. Wanna know why? Because, though I don't care what people (especially sheep) think, I, in fact, love watching people who have been trained to not think try to reason and argue without the intelligence, creativity, or insight to do so. It's kind of like watching slapstick.

Apparently these folks think I am reactive, but I don't get angry at the type of things they post. It's more like watching comedy central. I actually have fun reading their angry attempts to provoke (not only me, but others). It appears, by what they are posting now, that I have got them by the balls. That is, if you contend that such foolish and easily provoked people have balls.  

This is comedy and entertainment. I enjoy the attempts. But, I cannot be provoked, and I enjoy reading these attempts - pathetic as they are so, keep it up.

Love,
Roy

Offline Roy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2005, 11:38:00 PM »
Protest?
Just in the last two months, CEDU has been splattered all over the news pages twice. CEDU is way better than me at fucking themselves. Hell They have 25 lawsuits against them for child abuse. And it has been all over the press. Why do what's already done?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »
Roy, I have to disagree w/ you on one point of samantics. You said "You are not going to get anything by working within the system, because the system is the whole problem."

Well the IVth Estate IS a part of the system. Often enough, a part of the problem, too. But it's a lot more accessible to most of us than the other three estates.

T.J. said that, were it left to him, he'd rather have newspapers w/o a government than t'other way `round. Jello Biafra said "Don't hate the media, become the media!" And so he did, too, to an extent.

Protesting is not illegal! You just have to know what the local ordinances are so that you can stay within them and so that no one can bullshit you that what you're doing is illegal if it isn't.

And it can be effective, too. Look at what's happening w/ Bethel Girls Academy. Herman Fountain Jr. is getting run out of Florida. Doesn't mean he's stopped exactly. But at least one little town will hopefully see the next one coming. And something like that has GOT to tank enrolement.

Our Bible reveals to us the character of our god with minute and remorseless exactness... It is perhaps the most damnatory biography that exists in print anywhere. It makes Nero an angel of light and leading by contrast.
--Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2005, 08:58:00 AM »
On 2005-03-12 13:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Yep, there was a meeting where Brown Schools introduced a treatment code of ethics. It was simply a document asking for respect, dignity, a chance at self determination, no forced isolation,

no emotional torture.

We therapists thought that "at last the CULT was going to become humane and decent," following the same standards that any mental health or chemical dependency professional is required by law and professional ethics to uphold.

The meeting did not go well. Program staff stood up in the meeting and flatly refused to follow any code of conduct. Twenty six law suits later, RMA (The school in question) is out of business because of charges of child abuse and maltreatment. Brown did not "hold the staff accountable"

Roy Phillips held the whole thing together arguing with the staff and trying to help them not get the school sued, and he did a damn good job. But, because Brown Schools backed down to the uneducated, unprofessional, unethical, abusive and undersocialized RMA staff, they killed the code of ethics.

Then All hell broke loose. The beginning of the "decline" was here.

Eventually, when the school was down to 30 students fron about 90, Roy was asked to run the clinical department. He was smart enough to know what a sinking ship lookes like. And, he knew that the staff were totally "bought in" to an abusive cult system, and therefore, taking the job would be a set up for losing his psychologist license. So, (smart man) he refused the position.

CEDU retaliated and asked him to leave. The next day after he left he had a massive heart attack. It killed him to leave his kids. He may be dead. I don't know.

Roy the poster, whoever he is, has it all down pat. And, he is telling the truth that CEDU can't handle and won't be able to handle until all of the schools are closed down. The schools are well on their way to the end with this class action suit for child abuse. Well on their way because they have no 'real" insight, no "real' compassion, no "real" sense of self. All they really have is what Ginger described so well -  A "Circle Jerk." "

I was in Couer d'Alene for one conference and the truth reflected in the above post was apparent to me at the time.  A very sick system, indeed.  If I was responsible for it, I believe I would have pulled the plug on the whole mess, too.  No doubt, the parent company was concerned about the refusal to comply with ethical treatment standards.  What a liability!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2005, 09:34:00 AM »
are you a parent or staff?  What did you see happpen?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »
On 2005-04-20 06:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"are you a parent or staff?  What did you see happpen?"

Parent.  Among other concerns, I took issue with a particularly troubling group intervention/punishment that occured shortly before this conference and discussed my concerns with program leader, administration, & clinical.  My assessment, despite some wonderful people and some potential to be helpful to our student, I could see why the "program" as implemented was iatrogenic to our student and subsequently pulled student. I could not get a sense that there was cohesion among the various elements of the school, that a meaningful individualized plan was in place and being implemented by all staff to address our student's educational and emotional needs, that therapy or other individual goals were being addressed or translated into  the "therapeutic living milieu", that "whole child" and developmentally appropriate methods were being used to address our student, and like many other parents at this particular conference, clear communication, not only between school & family, but between elements within the school was a concern.  In fact, our school had a break out session with very concerned parents to discuss communication and recent changes at the school like the elimination of the FRC position.  Finally, I got the impression that the primary vehicle of change/power at the school was "the program" and the program staff.  After spending time with, speaking with and observing the program staff leadership and reviewing our student's initial lack of progess and then deterioration, we concluded that the "program" was the product that was being offered and it was definitely  not what we had in mind. We also had an appointment with academic head to ask questions, but she didn't keep the appointment.  A few individual teachers met with us and they were very considerate.  I am sure that there are parents that were very pleased with the "program", but we each have a moral and legal obligation to perform due deligence in regard to the welfare of our children and/or students.  The world didn't come to an end because we pulled student, in fact student's functioning improved. We have never regretted the decision.

Offline coco

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2005, 05:15:00 PM »
I'm a CEDU Idaho parent (was) too.  You sound like it has been a while since you were there, since they eliminated the FRC position quite a while back, then later reinstated them.  I may know you. How is your child doing?  Hope your son/daughter is doing well.  PM me if you'd like -

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »
What's FRC?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of it's victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busy-bodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those that torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0802808689/circleofmianithem' target='_new'> C.S. Lewis, God In The Dock

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2005, 07:11:00 PM »
Family Resource Coordinator --- functioned kind of like a casemanager,ie, facilitator of communication between various school components, outside resources,parent contact, etc.  The  therapists had to take over this function in addition to individual & group therapy -- & milieu facilitation when possible.
On 2005-04-21 15:43:00, Antigen wrote:

"

What's FRC?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of it's victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busy-bodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those that torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0802808689/circleofmianithem' target='_new'> C.S. Lewis, God In The Dock

"

Offline coco

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2005, 09:10:00 PM »
good description of FRC.  As the anon said, they were the liason between parent and team staff.  Parents were called every week by the FRC or RC.  Often times, they were not in tune with the child from day to day, and was not the ideal form of communication.  When the therapists took over the job, it became even more diluted.  They were, I believe, resentful that they had to provide this service, and as a result did not do an effective job.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2005, 09:24:00 AM »
In the beginning of our student's stay, the FRC and the team leader together [conference call]would call us on the scheduled calls.  While the FRC dealt with pediatrician, orthodontist, etc. and additional casemanagement needs, the participation of the team leader in these scheduled calls made it much more easy to follow what was going on for our student programatically.  The therapist and student worked on significant individual therapy issues, and the therapist would do family therapy sessions with us via conference calling with student.

Unfortunately, there were some experienced program leaders that also left early in our student's stay.  I would have to check my notes and records to say for sure, but I recall that there was briefly some discussion of the team leaders taking over all of the FRC responsibilities at some point in this process...  
Yes, the therapists then assumed the FRC responsibilities.  I can't say how the therapists felt about it, but I know that there are times that the roles of a "manager" and a "therapist" are very different on a "team".  Depending upon the nature of the issues being dealt with in therapy and on the environment in the program, this role dissonance could be greater or lesser.

The flexibility of the institution/program/philosophy and its ability to respond to individual strengths and needs are possibly other factors that could lend itself to role conflict.  

Additionally, in other environments I've been exposed to, casemanagers are the team leaders and exercise informed decision making-power in developing individual plans.....

I believe on a well functioning team each member's contribution is respected and  brings a unique understanding of the "whole child"  or "whole person" that theoretically can enable the team to devise and implement an individualized, integrated plan based on positives that can empower the child/client/student to better take care of themselves and realize his or her potentials.

Some factors that may be necessary for this ideal scenerio to occur might include adequate leadership, a philosophy and methods grounded in respect for the integrity of the individual/client's core self, and healthy communication that eschews blaming, scapegoating, minimizing, etc.

While we were concerned about the disequilibrium in the system caused by the various changes during our student's stay, in hindsight it was actually a wonderful opportunity for us to really view the program philosophy and techniques in action under challenging circumstances with our student and see if it was consistent with our family values and goals. I respect that for many the program was experienced as a positive; however, our experience was otherwise. I'm glad we were able to figure that out.

On 2005-04-21 18:10:00, coco wrote:

"good description of FRC.  As the anon said, they were the liason between parent and team staff.  Parents were called every week by the FRC or RC.  Often times, they were not in tune with the child from day to day, and was not the ideal form of communication.  When the therapists took over the job, it became even more diluted.  They were, I believe, resentful that they had to provide this service, and as a result did not do an effective job."