Author Topic: Growing Together - What to do  (Read 17276 times)

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
Growing Together - What to do
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2005, 11:00:00 PM »
On 2005-02-28 19:54:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-02-28 16:49:00, ~-=Sara=-~ wrote:

"

On 2005-02-28 05:47:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

yes, most of my heros are druggies.  Like Sara. When I grow up I want to be just like her."

Well, you don't know much, but I'm flattered all the same.

::cheers::  :wink:

They know that it is human nature to take up causes whereby a man may oppress his neighbor, no matter how unjustly. ... Hence they have had no trouble in finding men who would preach the damnability and heresy of the new doctrine from the very pulpit.
--Galileo Galilei, Italian astronomer

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2005, 06:36:00 AM »

Hey!  I was just thinkin' the same thing!!  All hail Sara  ::cheers::  ::cheers:: Cheers, Cayo!  Glad I'm not powerless over this stuff - I'd not be able to lift the glass!   :rofl:
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline alternativa

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2005, 01:41:00 AM »
I'm a single parent with a 15 year old son who does whatever he wants, and I called one of these numbers and then I researched. It doesn't  matter what they call themselves--anything listed under wwasps is to be avoided.

I can't handle my son. That's a fact, and his father is who knows where. Last year I sent my son to a military school in NY (alma mater of Donald Trump) and it was great, and next year he's going back. It was 60 miles away and he could come home every weekend (a few exceptions--parades, etc.) starting from the first week. He could use the phone and the internet between 8-9:30. My whole thing was that I couldn't keep him in school. He's very smart, but they could get him to class most days. Was it perfect? No. But what the kids told me and what the tack officers said were the same negatives. The kids fight. There are some incidents of hazing. There have been 2 severe incidents in the past 100  years (1912 and 2003)but no one died. There's the boys will be boys attitude, and at military school they do fight all the time, and a lot of them smoke cigarettes, and there are ways to get alcohol and drugs on campus though it's nothing like suburban environs. But I knew what was going on, the tacks knew what was going on, and the kids knew--and there was no conflict in stories. That sounds negative, but trust me--it's a lot less than is going on in suburbia.

But here's the thing--which I realized after calling one of these numbers. I have an obligation to get him educated to the best of my ability. I don't have the right to imprison him and have him tortured. The doors at the military academy were left open and kids were free to walk out the door ANY TIME. And sometimes they did. But mostly they didn't because there were kids who left or got kicked out and ended up in boot camps or wwasps and no one ever heard from them again (I found this out after a discussion with my son last night--he just had a friend go to boarding school and NONE of her friends have heard from her. No calls, no IM's. But if you choose military academy --make sure it says founded before 1860. No new place.

My son also drinks and I know it, but guess what? He's either experimenting or he's an alcoholic. If he's experimenting--then just leave it alone and keep him from riding with someone or driving under the influence (another plus for military school--no cars.) If he's an alcoholic (as his father was) there's nothing I can do about it. You can't make anyone quit drinking unless they want to quit. Period. The same goes for using drugs.

I have many alcoholics in my family and the only way any of them every quit was AA. Forget forced rehab, too. If you can't tolerate the behavior in the house, let him try the homeless shelter. I am not in a state that can force kids into wwasps and boot camps, but juvenile detention is better than these places. And so is a foster home. Tough love is about not putting yourself between kids' decisions and the natural consequences. Some derelect school that's way worse than Attica is insanity.

Is your child at risk? No doubt. I know mine is and I want to minimize the risk as much as possible and if he ends up in foster care because I can't keep him in school--then so be it. I have to be willing to look like a bad parent. Maybe I am a bad parent but I think I'm more of an overwhelmed parent. But investigating these crazy programs reminded me I am powerless over alcohol and there by the grace of God.

But I believe what these kids are saying on these board. Kids ALWAYS let you know what's going on in a school. Sure occasionally there is a rare incident or someone who cries wolf--but this many? No way. God bless.

Offline alternativa

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2005, 02:42:00 AM »
and avoid ANY school or program with the word Christian in it--that's the guarantee it's anything but...also check alumni list. stay away for "for profits" and check endowments.

Offline equestrienne

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »

All official records are available and viewable as of this past Friday.  Dockets, Family-related and military related were taken offline over a year ago.  Official records are still viewable as long as they're not family court related.
"

you can also try searching on lexisnexis.com or westlaw.com and pay on a per-search basis. if you find dockets and court records that you want to print out, they will charge you either on a per-page or per-docket basis to view and print the files, depending on what the particular jurisdiction charges.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2005, 12:09:00 PM »
Equestrienne, might I suggest that you choose a sexy avatar that better suits your name?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »
568.gif would be very nice..  ::nod::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile

Offline concerned mother

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »
I appreciate your reply and that of others.  It has been a month or so and the situation has only worsened.  He has skipped school and slacked off so much in school (had straight F's last period)that he will be spending another year in 9th grade.  Definitely not the end of the world, but moving him one year closer to being able to drop out.  There is not a sane person out there that can tell me that life without a high school, let alone college, diploma is as beneficial as one with it. In addition, his world of drugs has expanded ten-fold.  He is adding more and more to what he will do.  Today he's angry because I took he cell phone away and he is threatening to try 8 bars.  He's depressed which is a system of drug addiction.  Do you think that this is still experimenting?  He has no regards for our family. It's hard to keep it at home when he only comes home to sleep at night.  For a while he was doing ok in an outpatient program that is designed to educate him on the dangers and help him to change his lifestyle, but that slipped when he was introduced to bars.

I weight the possibility that he may not hit 20 with the fact that you are alive and drug free after your stint and I wonder if your emotional wounds are worse than the end of life itself.

Time's fun when you're having flies.
--Kermit the Frog

ON-JUDGEMENTAL ..... just wanting to help my son reach his potential.

Offline equestrienne

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2005, 12:09:00 PM »
How about a mental health professional that deals with behavioral and addiction problems? i think you are best off going with someone who has years of schooling and clinical experience dealing with "problem kids." your son is an individual and deserves to be treated as one - and to be treated by someone that will put time and energy into finding out who he is and will work with his/her accumulated knowledge to design and implement proper treatment for him.

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2005, 12:18:00 PM »
Tough Love is the best treatment available for chemical dependency. Those so-called "mental health professionals" are a waste of time and money. They do nothing but mollycoddle these ingrates when what they need is a swift kick in the pants to get them off of their asses and off of drugs! They need to wake up to the fact that they are chemically dependent and accept the group as their higher power!

Offline Dr. Miller Newton

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »
Very well said, Fucky!  :wstupid:
Teenage Drug Use Is A Disease

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2005, 02:50:00 PM »
Thank you, Virgil.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2005, 03:28:00 PM »
><><<><><><><><><><><><><

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »
On 2005-04-07 06:40:00, concerned mother wrote:

"I appreciate your reply and that of others.  It has been a month or so and the situation has only worsened.  He has skipped school and slacked off so much in school (had straight F's last period)that he will be spending another year in 9th grade.  Definitely not the end of the world, but moving him one year closer to being able to drop out.  There is not a sane person out there that can tell me that life without a high school, let alone college, diploma is as beneficial as one with it. In addition, his world of drugs has expanded ten-fold.  He is adding more and more to what he will do.  Today he's angry because I took he cell phone away and he is threatening to try 8 bars.  He's depressed which is a system of drug addiction.  Do you think that this is still experimenting?  He has no regards for our family. It's hard to keep it at home when he only comes home to sleep at night.  For a while he was doing ok in an outpatient program that is designed to educate him on the dangers and help him to change his lifestyle, but that slipped when he was introduced to bars.

I weight the possibility that he may not hit 20 with the fact that you are alive and drug free after your stint and I wonder if your emotional wounds are worse than the end of life itself.

Time's fun when you're having flies.
--Kermit the Frog

"

Hi Concerned Mom,

Just wondered how you and your son are doing, and what, if anything you decided to do for help for him?
  I hope that you've been able to find something to help and feel like things are moving in a better direction for him and your family.

Signed a program participant who wasn't abused, brainwashed, or tortured... but someone who benefited from some structure and guidelines.