Author Topic: WELCOME ALL MISSION MOUNTAIN SCHOOL ALUMNI!  (Read 11029 times)

Offline audge

• View Profile
WELCOME ALL MISSION MOUNTAIN SCHOOL ALUMNI!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »
my name is Audrey Hunt and i graduated from mission mountain school 7/13/02.  i would not suggest that anyone be sent there.  sorry if that sounds harsh, but i believe that all mms did for me was "get me away."  i didn't know who i was or how to live as a 14 year old in san francisco.  i needed help but was never offered therapy at home.  i have anger about my parents just giving up on me and letting other people deal with the problem.  i was put in a situation where i couldn't make friends because it was rewarded to "call each other out."  the whole system is based on fear of consequence as opposed to knowledge of love.  i went there thinking i had to be a certain person to survive and get by in the world and i left thinking i had to be a mission mountain cut-out.  it was said many times when it was referred to that the shool was brainwashing the students that "our brains needed to be washed."  i completely disagree.  we needed the love that we weren't getting at home, love enough to know that we could love ourselves and each other.
john mercer did not involve himself in our daily life.  we begged to shovel the horse manuer at his house becuase we would get his approval and maybe a cola.  when we were to have phone calls we would sometimes have to wait hours outside his door because his schedule was more important than ours or our parents.
when my parents called to see how i was doing it would sometimes take weeks to get back to them.  how could a school that expensive take advantage of parents who are already in such a vulnerable place.
there were weeks at a time when i didn't shower because we were on intervention.  the reason we were in the woods in tents working sometimes 12-14 hours a day was ridiculous.  girls had been trading bras.
when i left, i was left with a skewed vision of what i needed to do to take care of myself.  i had no social skills left and felt like a horse who'd finally been broken and then was sent back into the wild to fend for itself.  i was struggling and when i called the school to talk to my counselor there or to talk to anyone who said they would support me after i left, i was given voicemails and my phone calls were never returned.
i'm actually at work and would love to write more but don't have the time.  
here is my contact information:
Audrey Hunt
415/794-3518
[email protected]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »
Oh my god, I can't believe that is seriously a reason for an intervention. There were plenty of ridiculous reasons for intervention in my time at MMS but trading bras? That is just laughable. It's sad because looking back at the things at MMS that DID help me and leave me with good thoughts of the school is totally put off when I remember things like this.Things that are honestly just absolutely ridiculous and I can't even get my head around. I think some of the people who decide on these things have been stuck in the middle of Montana too long and forgot about what real life was actually like. TRADING BRAS?!hahaha

Offline Clymerchick

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »
Audrey! Hit me up sometime... You can probably guess who I am from my name.

On another note... Did anyone else find that they became increasingly anal about their food because we had to measure everything? I never had any problems with food and them at MMS I had weird food stuff, but it would go away on home visits. Freakin weird!
o matter what a person says, decent respect is all that I expect of eachother and myself. Lets be nice! \":)\"

Offline audge

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2005, 05:24:00 PM »
what's your email so i can say hello (i'm guessing it's jess)

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2005, 08:34:00 PM »
Hey Audrey,

I hear ya, definitely culture shock leaving the school.  Nasty stuff... when did you graduate?  How are things for you now?
best, kat
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2005, 09:40:00 PM »
OH god...I was hungry at MmS! and I do not have a eating disorder....but I loved thinking about what we were going to eat...something great to look forward too. that sucks that everyone had to be treated as if we all had eating disorders. and the fact that we were so deprived (like on candy) made us obssesive

Offline Clymerchick

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2005, 09:48:00 PM »
o matter what a person says, decent respect is all that I expect of eachother and myself. Lets be nice! \":)\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2005, 10:30:00 PM »
Oh I was SOOO obsessed with going to bed because I knew when I woke up I could have a bagel with cream cheese, and JELLY.  SUGAR!!!  I have the worst food obsession now... I can't say it was caused by MMS but they didn't help!  I was anorexic before I went to school there... so food obsessed, yes, but in a different way.  Now I swear my days are still focused around when I get to eat.  I never used to be like that!!  And I'm so paranoid about not clearing my plate.  Geez!  I felt bad for girls who were "vegetarians' and had to eat meat anyway.  I think the meal stuff was lame... shouldn't have been such a huge deal.  And I swear I should be sick of PB&J by now, but I'm not.  Still love it.  I'm weird, I know.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2005, 03:34:00 PM »
Hey do you know melissa? she was def ...mis treated there..so don't know why she doesn't stand against the school...JOhn made her tell me to my face that she was nazi and she didnt like me  because I am latino.

I was one of her closest friends? and I am wondering where she stand in all this?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »
I'm right here and I have no idea who you are. Who are you?

Melissa.

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2005, 03:51:00 PM »
melissa s, is that you??? OMG, I'm so glad you posted!  I don't remember you had to say the nazi thing, wasn't that Katie H?? That was pretty uncool, I didn't think you hated me though. Anon, are you confused?  Are you Betsy?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2005, 04:11:00 PM »
katfish, I'm not sure which Melissa you're talking about but I'm not her. I am the Melissa who John made tell everyone I was a nazi. Sorry I'm not the person you thought.

Melissa.

On 2005-05-14 12:51:00, katfish wrote:

"melissa s, is that you??? OMG, I'm so glad you posted!  I don't remember you had to say the nazi thing, wasn't that Katie H?? That was pretty uncool, I didn't think you hated me though. Anon, are you confused?  Are you Betsy?"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2005, 05:57:00 AM »
Hmmm ... how many girls had to say they were Nazi's? Melissa said she was forced to tell everyone she was a Nazi, and then Kat remembers someone else having to say the same thing, then gee, looks like it's a recurring thing. Weird, if you ask me. Why on earth would he do that? The guy has some serious weird issues, shit!

Offline kerryberry420

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »
my god this got out of control this has turned into a war between girls each trying to prove that they are right.  that wasn't what this was about at all.  this was ONLY about trying to make legislature that monitors programs more closely.  not just mms, all of them.  the "teen help" industry is the fastest growing industry in the country and programs are popping up everywhere, i persoanlly think there should be an agency created just to monitor these programs.  not something to get in the way of what they are doing but somehting to make sure that the girls (and boys) come first.  sorry i let myself get off of my own topic even, but this was really all i wanted to get across.

Offline Harriet

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2005, 02:33:00 AM »
Hey, I think it is great that someone put together a website to talk about all of the things you wanted to say but never could!  John Mercer was narcasistic. I widh I could have worshiped him more, I think we would have gotten along better. Did anyone else know about the bomb pops in the freezers?  I hope that all the girls recovered from mms.  I still mix yogurt in with my cereal, that is about the most I got out out of that place.  And Audrey I know we didn't get along, but it was funny because I felt the exact same way as you did the whole time and I hope your doing well.  Harriet
[email protected]
arriet