Author Topic: WELCOME ALL MISSION MOUNTAIN SCHOOL ALUMNI!  (Read 11028 times)

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
WELCOME ALL MISSION MOUNTAIN SCHOOL ALUMNI!
« on: February 22, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »
Mission Mountain School, located in Condon Montana, is a special purpose boarding school for girls ages 13 to 18 with behavioral problems. The school has been operating since the early 1990's, the owner and headmaster is John Mercer. Like many special purpose boarding facilities, there is little information available regarding the long term affects of this particular program on the students. Currently there is some debate over whether or not the program at this school is beneficial, so we are interested in hearing from people who have actually spent time there. If you are a former student, staff member or have other intimate knowledge of Mission Mountain School, we would love to hear about your experience. You are free to reveal your identity or remain completely anonymous.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »
hey, my name is Gracie and I am fresh out of MMS. I graduated 3/26/05. I do think the school is incredibly helpful and it's difficult to put in words everything I need to say but I would be happy to talk to anyone interested about what the school has done for me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 02:41:00 PM »
Can you give us your e-mail address or phone number? What was great about the school? What were the downfalls? It's good to hear all sides. How long were you there?

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 04:20:00 PM »
:smile:
Kathy

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 08:00:00 PM »
Yes, I'm very interested in what  goes in in this program.  I'm sure other people are too.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 11:37:00 PM »
I wish Gracie would come back and let us know more.

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 12:43:00 AM »
Hey Gracie, if we came on too strong, sorry.  WE really just want to hear another point of view.
Please post.
Thanks,
kathy
Kathy

Offline BIRDLADY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 02:18:00 AM »
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A NEGATIVE AND A POSITIVE POST LISTING MADE AVAILABLE FOR ALL WHO ARE INTERESTED IN MISSION MOUNTAIN SCHOOL. I BELIEVE ALL STUDENTS SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE THEIR VIEWS AIRED.  BOTH NEGATIVE AND POSITIVE.  IT WOULD BE WONDERFUL FOR ALL ALUMNI TO BE ABLE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH EACH OTHER.  

I believe that relgion is the belief in future life and in God. I don't believe in either. I don't believe in God as I don't believe in Mother Goose.
--Clarence Darrow, American lawyer

[ This Message was edited by: BIRDLADY on 2005-04-11 23:22 ][ This Message was edited by: BIRDLADY on 2005-04-11 23:22 ]

Offline jroot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 02:28:00 AM »
Well...I hope that I can be of help to anyone out there. My name is Jessica and I graduated three years ago at the age of 18. I was one of the oldest and I also had one of the shortest stays at MMS, 18 months. I think that the program when I was there was very focused on the 12 step programs and going through the "recovery process". I would not say that I am an addict of any sort. I was a teen that was depressed, unhappy and confused. I didn't know how to deal with life in appropriate ways and I didn't know how to deal with the pain and anger of some of the things that I had been through. MMS helped me and my family get through some of these things. I wish that I had spoken up and said something like I'm not an addict, but the thing to do there when I was there was say, "Hi, my name is Jessica and I'm a...(fill in as many things that you could be an addict of).

The physical things that were required of us is probably the most rewarding thing that I toke awway from Mission Mountain. Whether it was a 22 mile ski, shoveling horse manueur, or backpacking for a few days. These all taught me the importance of hard work and stamina which I use today.

You hear rumors today about alumni that have slipped back into their old ways, but I don't know what to believe. We're in the real world. People have hard times and most will never have the amount of support that we had at the school. I would say that the majority are doing really well. I don't do drugs, I have had a boyfriend for almost three years that knows all about MMS and has supported me completely. I am 21 so I do drink, but moderatly and safely. I think that people have many different experiences at MMS. Some good and some not so good.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. It's been a few years and I think that the school has changed a bit, but I am happy to share my experience with anyone.

Jessica

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »
Hi Jessica,
I have a close relative at MMS, who I am not allowed to communicate with. She was not an addict of any sort either. I have done a great deal of research into the "teen help" industry and am curious about several things. First, was John Mercer actively involved on a daily basis while while you were there? If so, what was your impression of him and his relationships with the girls? Secondly, was your high school diploma from MMS accepted in your home state? Thirdly, did, or are you attending college, and if so, how did your education at MMS prepare you (scholastically) for higher education? I would appreciate any information you could share with me on these topics.

Offline jroot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »
Hi there..I got your posting. I hope that I can be some more help. It really helped me whether I was an addict or not. John Mercer was actively involved. He really helped me and my family work through some very hard challenges. He wasn't there all day, every day, but there were other teachers very involved in our every day lives. John is strong and very intuitive. He can sense when something is going on. He is harsh sometimes, but he would never let anything bad happen to anyone.

My high school diploma was acepted in California where I live and a few other states when I was applying to college. The school is very active in preparing us for college. I am going to Cal State Long Beach and I live in the Southern California area. I have been there for three years and will be graduating with a degree in Child Development and Family Studies in two years. I am very happy. :smile: I was already finished with my junior year when I went to MMS. I was in AP classes and doing well. I had already done a lot of the college stuff. Hope this helps..let me know if theres anything else.

Jessica

Offline Star

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 10:46:00 PM »
There are many other posts on MMS and I suggests you read all of them....Go to the search on the website and write Mission mountain school there are many different forums that I am sure you would like to look at, if you haven't yet.
et God do the judging.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »
My name is Emma Casale, formerly Emma Cunningham.  I attended MMS from November 93 to August 95.  I credit MMS with not only saving my life, but with teaching me the skills to live a happy and healthy life.  Not only did MMS help me, but they helped my family and continue to do so nearly every day.  It is my opinion that MMS is the only school that works.  My brother has been in over 10 therapeutic boarding schools, none of which were able to help him.  I have been drug and alcohol free since November 93.  I have sorted out my relationships with my mother and with my bipolar father.  I graduated high school in 1996 and began attending Johns Hopkins University that fall.  I graduated from there with both general and departmental honors as well as having been selected to join Phi Beta Kappa.  I have been married now for five years and have managed to deal with the severe mental illnesses of two of my siblings.  I would have been able to accomplish none of this without MMS and the dedicated staff there.  No one should doubt the effectiveness of their program and anyone lucky enough to have a daughter enrolled there is blessed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 04:44:00 AM »
Amazing how different each person's experiences are. Simply amazing! I guess it depends on your threshold for pain and where you came from. If life at home was living hell with a parent with serious issues or from a home of abuse then any place might seem better. Still important to remember many experiences appear to have been abusive and negative at MMS.

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 04:57:00 AM »
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead