Author Topic: The way we learned how to communicate  (Read 2077 times)

Offline damanamanit

• View Profile
The way we learned how to communicate
« on: February 22, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »
When I was at Cascade we were not taught how to communicate effectively. If we wanted to impress a point, it was usually during raps,profeets,workshops and in those settings everyone cursed, screamed and yelled. It was how we were taught to make a point or take a stand. Those of you who have never experienced a 'rap' or a school like this firsthand cannot comprehend such a 'vile' way of communicating. It is what we learned. Outside of raps we were required to smile and nod. This did not mean that ALL of us knew how to differentiate between our two little worlds. It was just as conflicting then as it is now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 11:51:00 AM »
At BCA we weren't even allowed to address most topics outside of raps...if you did, watch out...your life was about to become hell. I think that crippled a lot of kids. If someone messed with your shit, you couldn't bring it up until raps. If you had a problem with something, shut up and save it for raps. Kids coming in there 14 and 15 years old were getting thrown back out into the real world at 17 and 18 with absolutely no clue how to deal with shit unless they were in a chair on the other side of a room with a bunch of power tripping staff at their disposal (or against them). How is this supposed to help anyone?
I don\'t look at myself in the mirror because I\'m a narcissist, I simply like to watch myself exist...

Offline damanamanit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 12:50:00 PM »
I can relate.
I don't know how this was to be beneficial to anyone. Bringing up anger in a child and not showing that child how to let it go or responsibly deal with it is another problem stemming from this kind of therapy.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 08:24:00 PM »
On 2005-02-22 08:51:00, dniceo7 wrote:

"At BCA we weren't even allowed to address most topics outside of raps...if you did, watch out...your life was about to become hell. I think that crippled a lot of kids. If someone messed with your shit, you couldn't bring it up until raps. If you had a problem with something, shut up and save it for raps. Kids coming in there 14 and 15 years old were getting thrown back out into the real world at 17 and 18 with absolutely no clue how to deal with shit unless they were in a chair on the other side of a room with a bunch of power tripping staff at their disposal (or against them). How is this supposed to help anyone?"

wow. you hit the nail on the head.
that place fucks you up when you get out.

Offline NivekOgre

• View Profile
    • http://www.skinnypuppy.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 11:08:00 AM »
Amen to that one.
o What

Offline purrkitty

• View Profile