Author Topic: this makes me sick  (Read 1184 times)

Offline PerfectStraightling

• View Profile
this makes me sick
« on: February 24, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »
President Bush today released his '05 National Drug Control Strategy. I was looking at the website for the Office of National Drug Control Policy, and here is what he and the administration have to say about long-term treatment:

Long-Term Residential Treatment provides care 24 hours per day, generally in nonhospital settings. The best-known residential treatment model is the therapeutic community (TC), but residential treatment may also employ other models, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy. TCs are residential programs with planned lengths of stay of 6 to 12 months. TCs focus on the "resocialization" of the individual and use the program's entire "community," including other residents, staff, and the social context, as active components of treatment. Addiction is viewed in the context of an individual's social and psychological deficits, and treatment focuses on developing personal accountability and responsibility and socially productive lives. Treatment is highly structured and can at times be confrontational, with activities designed to help residents examine damaging beliefs, self-concepts, and patterns of behavior and to adopt new, more harmonious and constructive ways to interact with others. Many TCs are quite comprehensive and can include employment training and other support services on site.

Compared with patients in other forms of drug treatment, the typical TC resident has more severe problems, with more co-occurring mental health problems and more criminal involvement. Research shows that TCs can be modified to treat individuals with special needs, including adolescents, women, those with severe mental disorders, and individuals in the criminal justice system.

http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/tre ... tment.html

:scared:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline PerfectStraightling

• View Profile
this makes me sick
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 03:41:00 PM »
OMG they've got a whole website devoted to using TCs in prisons. I admit that's not the same as using it with CHILDREN, but it is still disturbing.

http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/nat ... m/toc.html

Offline The Graduate

• View Profile
this makes me sick
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 04:12:00 PM »
Since when did the category women fall under a special needs group?

Another thing, quoted directly from this site re the topic of inpatient drug treatment "The threshold of significant improvement is reached at about 3 months in treatment"  Yeah OK so why go on to endorse the programs exponentially longer?[ This Message was edited by: The Graduate on 2005-02-24 13:19 ]