Author Topic: MISLEADING INFO ON PROVO CANYON SCHOOL WEBSITE  (Read 785 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
MISLEADING INFO ON PROVO CANYON SCHOOL WEBSITE
« on: February 14, 2005, 02:05:00 AM »
Now that the truth has come out about the staff at Provo Canyon School (they are undereducated/no college degree required and unliscensed), PCS has taken modified their website in an attempt to mislead people about the facts.  First, back awhile ago (summer 2004), they removed the employment listings from the site (which specified "college preferred but not required").  The jobs link now simply says "contact human resources".  The most recent changes to the site includes the addition of a link called "Credentials and Licensing".  Here they have a very long list of people with PhDs, Masters in various things, ect...  At the very end of the list, are the "group living" staff- they have listed 4 or 5 of them (though there must be at least 30 or 40 of them working there), none of whom have any sort of degree or liscense.  What is not clear to those viewing the site is that the "program" (punishments, restraints, and all) is implemented by the latter group of people (the unliscensed ones listed under "group living"), as they are the primary caregivers.  The students spend a total of one or two hours a week with an actual therapist/psychologist.  Oh, well... apparantely less and less people are falling for their charade.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 07:00:00 AM »
The unlicensed staff are the main enforcers. My daughter was abused there and according to her records most of this abuse took place with the night staff - after dinner.  There are some brutal staff members there. One thing the site does not indicate is that behavior modification takes place -they also fail to disclose that confrontation is also used by unlicensed staff members. They also don't disclose that the unlicensed staff members do most of the patient documentation.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »
Yes, this is true.  These unliscensed, legally non-professional staff members not only implement the program or care plan, they also do the daily documentations and evaluations (this should be done by professionals), and occassionally report back to the therapists, during a meeting which takes place once a month.  I am a nurse and I know that JACHO requires that, if a patient is physically restrained, they must be evaluated IN PERSON by a physician within one hour of being put in restraints, and this does not happen either.  When children are restrained there, it is decided and implemented by the unliscensed staff, who will afterwards call the nurse (sometimes LPN, not RN), who will then call a physician on the telephone and take a "verbal order" for restraints (which is also illegal).  I was there for a year and a half and never once saw a physician come and examine a child who was in restraints.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 07:18:00 PM »
The program is extremely punitive. They certainly don't tell parents that they routinely punish children by not allowing them to go to school or church. How can anyone with a conscience even work there and allow all of this to go on. They do have a lovely front reception area.  They do not tell parents the truth even when they tour the facility.  When I saw the tennis court with the high fence I actually thought that they used it to teach the girls to play tennis.  What it's used for is a cage to keep them in for their 15 minutes of fresh air per month or week - depending on their level.  The conditions there are truly deplorable and the physical and chemical restraints are used to punish rather than prevent injury to staff and patient.  

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
-- Emo Phillips

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"