Author Topic: RYAN FRAIDENBURGH ON NATIONAL NEWS AGAIN  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
RYAN FRAIDENBURGH ON NATIONAL NEWS AGAIN
« on: October 04, 2003, 09:31:00 PM »
Go to: http://www.21c.ca to see ryans new interview that has just aired today across canada and new york. Inside edition was ok, but this interview has convinced me that this young man has spoken the truth and i respect him for effecting wwasp.

Click on the 2 page of the video, it should be the first headline story on ctv's website.

this story was awsome!
finnally wwasps abuse is being exposed
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 10:07:00 PM »
Story Poll Results
http://www.21c.ca/

Do you think the government should regulate private drug and alcohol rehab facilities for teens?

Yes, they should be monitored by an outside agency
  75.0%

No, if these facilities seem to work, they should allowed to operate as they choose
  8.3%

It depends whether complaints have been filed
  16.7%

Schools of Hard Knocks
Producer's Diary: Dominic Patten

Don?t let anyone ever tell you otherwise - putting together a documentary like ?Schools of Hard Knocks? is a hard going and time intensive process.

But occasionally, you find yourself with a few minutes to spare, and you step back a bit from what?s going on. Walking around Ivy Ridge in upstate New York and the Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre in Calgary, I had a few such moments.

I often found myself thinking, time after time, how many people I grew up with could have ended up in places like this -- guys and girls from nice middle class homes who were angry or experimenting or playing grown up games on teenage bodies, or -- and I think this is a real root cause -- children of broken homes whose parents wanted a solution - at any price.

There might be some guidelines, and the shelves of bookstores might be filled with pretenders, but for parents and children, especially teenagers, there is no real definitive rulebook on how a family is supposed to work. No how-to manual.

Most families, even the best ones, muddle through. But a lot of families fall apart. There are a million reasons why. Somewhere in all the stress of divorces, teenagers can become footballs for warring parents. And that can be the tipping factor why they end up at places like the WWASP schools and AARC.

A number of the teens I spoke to at both Ivy Ridge and AARC told me they were from broken homes and that one of their parents told them they had to go into the program or ?they?d kick me out.? Nice.

We never did an empirical study, but guesstimation tells me probably 45 to 50% of the ?students/clients? at those institutions are from families where the parents are divorced.

What does that say about anything?

Well, one thing is that sometimes parents feel they need to make a decision between the disastrous and the unpalatable -- that they have to stop their children from going too far, that pre-emptive measures, like sending them to somewhere like Ivy Ridge, are necessary to stem the terrible tide. And sometimes parents are savagely caught - their children are out of control and harsh actions are seemingly the only option.

What it also says is that parents feel desperate, sometimes for their children and sometimes for themselves.

Schools like Ivy Ridge have a long history. They?ve been around in some form or another since the mid-seventies. Some have crossed the line and have had to be closed down or have their programs redesigned. Some have had no problems. All have turned out ?graduates? who will tell you that the school was the best thing that ever happened to them, that it saved them from some serious bad news and set them straight, sometimes both literally and figuratively. Many have had graduates turn around and say all was not so cool when they were there and that the way things are done at these schools needs to be investigated.

Our doc looks at what's going on at WWASP schools like Ivy Ridge and programs like Calgary?s AARC: their techniques, which they are very open about, and what some think of those techniques. That was our goal as investigative journalists. And I think we met it.

I know for some, it?s easy to rush to judgment on some of the people in tonight?s doc, to call them crybabies, wimps, dupes, just plain liars, or whatever else you want. That?s your call. But I think things are more complex than that. That?s what Ryan?s dad, Bob learned. And bringing Ryan home from Casa by the Sea is only the first step for him in coming to terms with that complexity.

I think -- actually after two seasons on 21©, I know -- a lot of parents like Bob are struggling: Struggling to sort out their children?s lives and their own; struggling to know when normal teenage behaviour has gone too far. And I think some parents just want to take out their checkbooks and wash their hands of any responsibility in the whole thing.

But it doesn?t work like that. Teens don?t end up at the Ivy Ridges of the world because they just popped out of thin air. They didn?t come to be in a vacuum. And neither did their behaviour, the good and the bad.

Hanging around Ivy Ridge and AARC, I thought of all the people I knew who could have ended up there, but didn?t. Because at some point in all the difficulty they and their parents decided to deal with what was really happening - to stop and bring their families back together.

Some totally failed. Some succeed. Some muddled through.

That?s really tough love. And you can't go to school to learn it.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 10:20:00 PM »
I couldn't bring up the video but read over the text displayed.
It sounded like another 50/50 story to me - There was plenty of wwasp explaining the reason students are claiming abuse is they are liars looking for a cash cow.
I hope the actual story did a better job of getting across how bad it truly is. I wish I could've seen it.
I really get tired of *them* sniping at the kids. All the snide remarks - Oh, so your problem child says so huh?

WWASP lies and manipulates - and so they accuse their critics of lying and manipulating.
It is so despicable.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 11:14:00 PM »
Well, the article did mention that there are something like 100 plaintiffs (with Ryan as the lead) and that according to an attorney, the case is supposed to be filed in the "near future".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 12:00:00 AM »
yea they said hes the lead plaintiff in the law suit. He had more then 7 mintues of his own time nation wide across canada and new york. This report was AWSOME. I give him credit.

For those who quickly judged the inside edition interview should take a look at this one on ctv.

if you use windows then go to http://www.21c.ca to play the interview, or if you have quicktime then it looks like its also is on ryans site as well.
http://www.ryanfraidenburgh.com

these wwasps are caught lieing and studdering, its HILARIOUS. talk about one hell of an interview

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 01:44:00 AM »
Can't watch the video, so if others are having a problem too, here is the text:

Schools of Hard Knocks
Written for the web by: Alyssa Schwartz
Reporter: Dominic Patten
Producer: Mike Sheerin
Associate Producer: Chantal Cory
Editor: Denis Langlois

The catalog of drugs Jessica Bruens used to abuse reads like a junkie?s laundry list. ?I had done marijuana, mushrooms, oil, hash, cocaine, crack, ecstasy, ?K? ? it?s like a cat tranquilizer, I tried ?G? ? that?s GHB, ... and every type of prescription drug like percocet, Tylenol 4s, morphine, any kind of painkiller I could get,? say the 19-year-old paraplegic.

That was before she checked into AARC ? the Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre ? one of the toughest, most intense rehab programs for teens in Canada.

Supporters of the Calgary-based AARC credit the facility?s grueling program with rescuing young people from the perils of drugs. ?Basically it saved her life,? says Bruens? mother, Kim. ?She was doing about three or 4,000 dollars a month habit of coke and crack, and the way she was going with her life, there was nothing. You know, being in a (wheel)chair made it even worse. It wasn?t like we could just kick her out on the street.

?Now I see signs that she?s got a zest for life and a will to live. She?s got a future, she?s got plans. She?s part of our family again.?

Dean Vause, AARC?s director, says Bruens is just one of many happy endings.

?Our success rate is over 80 per cent,? he says. ?We?ve surveyed 100 of our kids ? over 80 per cent of our kids are ? currently sober, which is phenomenal.?

AARC works on a four-tiered levels system. ?New-comers,? clients who have recently checked in to the facility, aren?t allowed to use the phone, to smoke, or even to wear makeup. They have to stick to a tough dress code, and scrub the entire building from top to bottom twice a day. As they move up through the rankings to Level Four ? the highest before graduation ? some freedoms are allowed. But there are no set standards and no timelines to dictate clients? movement through the system.

Vause credits the facility?s success with its tough group therapy meetings, called ?rap sessions,? where clients delve into every aspect of each other?s personal lives ? from drugs to sex to family relationships.

?I think we get down to their pain, get down to the darkness and the ugliness and to all the denial. We start digging into what hurts them and what drugs has done to them, and so that they can make the connection between drugs and their problems.?

But opponents of AARC say the no-holds-barred ?rap sessions? and other treatment cornerstones do more harm than good.

?I though I was going to go to a place where I could just sit around and talk to other kids and smoke and play cards and it would just be fun and I could just hang out,? says Jessica McArthur, a former AARC client. ?But when I went in there, I learned very quickly that I had to tell absolutely every single secret I?d ever had in my whole life. I had to put up with being berated and being told over and over again that I was a druggie and an alcoholic and a piece of crap and stuff like that.

?After I?d been in treatment for a month, I tried to kill myself,? she says.

McArthur ? who eventually became a model AARC patient and later worked for the program, now speaks out against the way it breaks teens down. ?I think it?s brainwashing,? she says. ?People are stripped of everything they know and they?re built up the way AARC wants them to be. Your identity is completely taken away from you. You?re told all the time what you are, which is a drug addict and an alcoholic ? and I believe that once someone?s here enough time, they believe it. Because it?s such a strong place, you start to believe they?re the only ones in the world that matter.?

Dr. Barry Beyerstein, a psychology professor at Simon Fraser University in B.C., has researched programs similar to AARC, and he says the techniques they use compare to brainwashing methods used on prisoners of war and by many cults.

?It?s the same kind of persuasion techniques (performed) in this very circumscribed society with a hierarchy. The other thing is that it?s done surreptitiously ? the people who are manipulated are not aware of what the intention and the rules and the methods of the manipulators are. And that?s true of cults the same as it is of these kinds of drug reform policy organizations.?

Beyerstein says part of what makes clients at places like AARC so vulnerable is the fact that they?re cut off from the outside world. ?It?s a pressure-cooker environment where ? they are being subjected to treatment that is not explained to them,? he says.

Ivy Ridge, a New York state-based facility for troubled teens, has numerous similarities to AARC. Though it?s much stricter and more controversial than the Calgary program, Ivy Ridge also operates on a levels system with clients cut off from the outside world during much of their treatment; there is constant surveillance ? clients aren?t even allowed to use the bathroom without supervision; and like AARC, the program has no time limit, so clients remain clients until they are told they can leave.

Ivy Ridge is a member of the WWASP, the Worldwide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools ? which has also come under some controversy recently. Last May, a WWASP school was raided by the Costa Rican government and closed amid allegations of physical and mental abuse. And more than 100 former clients of WWASP schools such as Casa by the Sea in Mexico plan to file a direct action lawsuit against the organization over abuse they say they suffered. According to the lawyer handling the case, the suit will be filed in the near future.

Ryan Fraidenburgh, a plaintiff in the lawsuit, spent four months when he was 14 years old at Casa by the Sea and says he was tortured at the school. ?They tied my hands to my legs, so I was hog-tied on the floor ? for three days -- 73 hours,? he recounts.

?I stayed there for three days thinking that I would die almost. I didn?t think I?d be out of that place. I think that Casa by the Sea was the place I would lose my life.?

Jason Finlinson ? then a staff member at Casa by the Sea and the current director of Ivy Ridge ? says Fraidenburgh?s claims come ?as kind of a shock.?

?Ryan was only there for four short months and I don?t even remember the kid,? he says. ?We didn?t do that. It?s not true. We didn?t hog-tie kids, didn?t abuse kids down there. It?s just a shock to me that this is coming up.?

Like AARC, Finlinson says his program sees phenomenal results, but that since it?s expensive (18 months of treatment cost about $60,000) some former students see it is a cash cow ripe for the milking. ?A lot of people see the big school. They know what tuition costs ? and people are after money. And then a lot of it is they weren?t satisfied with what product they got and so they want to blame somebody,? he says.

But Finlinson says he?s confident with his product.

?We have a 98 per cent satisfaction rate,? he says. ?So we have a list of parents that you could call anytime and get their experience at Ivy Ridge. And most of these are just allegations (because) people forget the calibre of student we get. ? Most of them are dishonest.?

At AARC, Vause also brushes off the critics. ?You?re going to have negative fallout,? he says. ?But I think you have to intervene in a very ugly, ugly disease and process and not everybody?s going to like it. So I accept that as part of the territory. Do I like it? No. Does it hurt? Absolutely.?

Vause says he?s more interested in focusing on new clients, or students like Jessica Bruens, who say AARC saved their lives.

?Life at AARC has been a life-changing experience,? she said at her graduation last month. ?I?ve had lots of struggles, but I?ve had lots of support as well. ? I don?t know where I?d be without this place. I feel freedom today, I can be honest, I have integrity and I feel good about myself. I have a relationship with my family, I?m going back to school, I have a job and I actually look forward to waking up in the morning.

?My life is completely different.?

But while Bruens is grateful, former WWASP clients like Fraidenburgh are still struggling to recover from their rehab experiences.

?I?ll wake up sweating, thinking about what happened to me,? he says. ?I cannot believe they are still in business. I can?t believe it.?

Is there a better option for addicted teens than programs like AARC or Ivy Ridge?

Related Links

Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre
Ivy Ridge
WWASP -- Worldwide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools
Teenagers at Risk WWASP information page
International Survivors Action Committee

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 03:06:00 AM »
i recently graduated from the AARC program, and life is amazing today.  8 and a half months ago i had nothing in my life except hell and drugs.  I hated waking up every morning and hated lying down at night thinking about what kind of horrible person i was.  Thanks to AARC and the 12 steps of alcoholics Anonomous i live life today free of drugs and alcohol, and free of that hellish insanity.  When ever i hear critisim about AARC, all i can do is shake my head.  Thanks to AARC i am alive today, and have a reason for living.!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 11:09:00 AM »
On 2004-01-16 00:06:00, Anonymous wrote:

"i recently graduated from the AARC program, and life is amazing today.  8 and a half months ago i had nothing in my life except hell and drugs.  I hated waking up every morning and hated lying down at night thinking about what kind of horrible person i was.  Thanks to AARC and the 12 steps of alcoholics Anonomous i live life today free of drugs and alcohol, and free of that hellish insanity.  When ever i hear critisim about AARC, all i can do is shake my head.  Thanks to AARC i am alive today, and have a reason for living.!"

Talk to us in ten to fifteen years, when the imposed false personality wears off and you still can't get rid of the PTSD.

At 8 or 9 months, what's talking to us is not you, it's a false personality manufactured by the cult and imposed on you by brainwashing.  Of course it says everything was fine---that's what it was programmed to do.

Thankfully, it wears off.

To the real you underneath the false face, I hope you recover quickly from the ordeal and put your life back together.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 11:13:00 AM »
By the way----did you ever notice that all the former program participants saying *good* things about the program either work for the program or are  *recent* graduates?

Gee, I wonder why we never hear former program participants who don't work for the program talk about how "good for them" the program was ten to fifteen years after they get out the program?

Wonder why that is.......

"Tell ze children to breathe deeply.  It's good for zem."---Herman Wouk, _Winds of War_/_War and Remembrance_

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 09:04:00 PM »
What happened to Ryan?  Any udates?  I can't find his web-site anymore..[ This Message was edited by: nite owl on 2005-02-19 18:05 ]