Author Topic: Beware of referrals by Sue Scheff  (Read 98165 times)

Offline hawaiianguy3

• View Profile
Beware of referrals by Sue Scheff
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »
While I was there, she actually visited once and Larry and the houseparents were scrambling to make the place look ok before she came. She gave a week advance notice. They did the same thing whenever one of our parents came also. Actually, I shouldn't say that they were scrambling. They made us do all the cleaning work. Cleaning the house, making new activities so they could say that we did them.
I don't think that it's all Sue Scheff's fault because what she saw was ok, but she should check more thoroughly.
None of the kids ever said anything to anyone. Not out of fear, I don't think. Maybe it was because they thought it was ok, or they just brushed it off. Once you leave thew program, you don't really want to remember it anymore anyway. I want people to know what it's really like because I don't think anyone else will go to the trouble of finding a site like this and tell people what happens. I actually tried this once before. I sent an email to the editor of the site http://www.strugglingteens.com about the exact same things, and they sent an email back saying that they wouldn't post the info and that this is something that should be dealt with by the authorities. So I appreciate getting this out there on this web site.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2006, 04:18:00 PM »
On 2006-01-09 13:22:00, hawaiianguy3 wrote:

"I went to Glacier Mountain Academy for a little less than a year before my mother took me out because neither of us thought that it was helping me. My mother talked to Sue Scheff about this school so she thought it was pretty good.

Here are some of my experiences and things that I saw while I was there:

Larry Bauer is the head of the program and says that he councels us one on one every week or so. We all got counceled I think twice the entire time that I was there.

Ramona and Matt Slover were the house parents while I was there and I saw with my own eyes Matt hold one boy against the wall by his neck and yell at him because he ate the applesauce with sugar when he wasn't supposed to have sugar. I heard of other things from the kids but that's all I saw.

Robert was our martial arts "instructor" and eventually they let him take us fishing and on other excursions. On more than one occasion, he smoked marijuana in front of us and shared it with myself and the other kids. Matt later confessed to me that he knew that Robert smoked weed and suspected that he might be doing it with us.

Jack is the "teacher" at Glacier Mountain Academy and is good friends with Larry Bauer. Every day we did actual lessons for about 30 to 40 minutes, even though we were at school for 5 or 6 hours every day. The rest of the time was spent playing Nintendo and watching movies while Jack did paperwork or talked on the phone in the other room.

There were 3 bedrooms for the kids in the house that we stayed in. There were 12 people living in the house at the same time. 9 of them were kids (including myself) two were Matt and Ramona, and the last was their son, David, who lived in the basement.

There is more if you want you can email me at [email protected]. I'm sure that my mother wouldn't mind talking to you either about what she went through.[ This Message was edited by: hawaiianguy3 on 2006-01-09 13:24 ]"

WOW.  Bombshell.  Thanks for your post, Hguy.  This is about what everyone suspected based on other posts, but the staff doing drugs with the kids?  MAN, that is fucked up.

Good thing this place is being shut down.  You should, however file a police report with the Nephi police department about this guy giving you drugs.  That's a pretty serious offense.

Have you spoken to the authorities about the abuse?  You should do it right away, because Ms. Sudweeks is going on trial in a couple of weeks.  I'm sure the DA would love to have this information on hand to aid the prosecution.

Good luck, man.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2006, 04:33:00 PM »
DJ:  Hawaiiguy appears to be discussing the abusive situation at Glacier Academy. Ms. Sudweeks is facing trial for her abuse of students at Whitmore Academy in Nephi, Utah. It appears Sue Scheff of PURE referred kids to both these schools. Seems Ms. Scheff just keeps putting kids in danger!

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »
On 2006-01-10 13:33:00, Anonymous wrote:

"DJ:  Hawaiiguy appears to be discussing the abusive situation at Glacier Academy. Ms. Sudweeks is facing trial for her abuse of students at Whitmore Academy in Nephi, Utah. It appears Sue Scheff of PURE referred kids to both these schools. Seems Ms. Scheff just keeps putting kids in danger! "

Oh, I see.  Sorry.  I misread his statements.

Yes, I agree, Sue Scheff knowingly refers parents to confirmedly abusive facilities.  She should get out of the "Teen Help" business immediately.  She's totally incompetent.

DJ
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2006, 03:38:00 AM »
Do they do LGAT type seminars or any similar sort of ritual or practice at Glacier Mountain?

Homeschool is self regulating. The school board is not going to have illiterate useless people living in their homes forever if they don't have a working education policy.

--Sisterbluerose

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline hawaiianguy3

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »
DJ, I won't be telling the authorities anything about the program because they fixed those problems. I don't know who Ms. Sudweeks is. If she is the new houseparent, I've never met her. While I was there Matt and Ramona Slover were the houseparents and they were not good. Apparently they left for reasons unknown to me. See, I left the program, went home to New York, then came back to Idaho to live here because I like it here. I heard from a couple of reliable sources that they no longer work there. As far as the drug thing goes, Matt Slover is the one who reccomended Robert to Larry Bauer. Larry did not know anything about him until it was too late. The problems that were occurring while I was there had I'df say 80% to do with Matt and Ramona Slover, who are now gone.
HOWEVER, Larry Bauer, who is the one with the actual psychology license, had almost absolutely nothing to do with the kids who were in the program. If he did, then he would know about all this stuff I mentioned earlier. ALSO, Larry ordered Matt and Ramona to make the program look good when Sue Scheff was coming, so again, Sue Scheff did NOT know about these things, but she should have looked further into the program when she came.
The problem, I think, is that both Larry Bauer and Sue Scheff are both not comitted enough to what they do. Larry, I believe is just in this job for the money and expects everything to go fine and doesn't want to be bothered with the kids and other problems.
Antigen, I don't know what LGAT is. If you tell me, I'll be happy to answer your question.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2006, 02:04:00 PM »
Oh, ok. Here's a quick rundown.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eldon.braun/awa ... lgat1.html

Faith is a cop-out. It is intellectual bankruptcy. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it can't be taken on its own merits.
--Dan Barker, author and former evangelist

Offline hawaiianguy3

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »
Well, reading about LGAT, I would have to say no. We did not do anything like that. All we ever really did for improving ourselves was a group session, I believe it was every week or twice a week, but I can't really remember, where we all sat around in the living room and talked about things like what people need to improve on or what was getting on people's nerves about other people. we actually never really talked about our personal experiences at home about why we were there, though. Every month or so, each boy would go in with Matt and Ramona and talk about that kind of stuff, but that's about it.
The basic way that the program worked while I was there was this:
When you got there you were level 1. You had very limited rights and hardly any responsibilities. Every few weeks you would be evaluated in the group sessions that I spoke of earlier by Matt, Ramona, and the other boys, then they woul;d tell you if you could move up another level. Once you got to the end of level 4 and they said that you were doing good, then you graduated.
Many kids graduated without even getting to level 4, myself included, just so they could tell parents "this many kids have graduated the program, so it works".

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
Thanks. And, btw, don't let anybody  around here mess w/ you about declaring allegience or anything. Well, you can't stop them from messin' w/ you, but you don't have to pay any mind.

I still gots questions, though.

On the lower phases, were you allowed to freely talk w/ the other kids?

How much influence did the kids have in deciding whether or not someone moved up? And how'd that work out for them?

What was the security like? Were you physically locked in or guarded from leaving? Or was it just about 'no place to go' and the law?

Redemption: Deliverance of sinners from the penalty of their sins through the murder of their deity against whom they sinned.
--Ambrose Bierce

Offline hawaiianguy3

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »
We could talk to the other kids when we got there. They encouraged us to so that we felt more comfortable. Actually, the first day I was there they asked me to start talking to this one kid who didn't really have any friends and no one really liked him.
When we got moved up levels, it wasn't a voting thing with the kids or anything, but Matt would ask all the kids what thgey thought about so and so moving up, and whoever wanted to would say what they thought or if that kid had done anything bad or good lately or if they had improved at all. The higher level kids were kind of required to give some input on the situation, but the overall decision was up to Matt Slover, who, I might add, had no kind of license in the profession. Ramona was the one with the license.
As far as security goes, there was practically none. It was just a regular house, and Matt and Ramona spent most of their time in their own living room watching TV or whatever. Two kids ran away together the first week they were there while Matt and Ramona were in the other room, and they didn't figure it out until about an hour later. Another kid ran away 3 times the first week and a half he was there. Another kid kept threatening suicide, ran away twice, and cut his wrist with a serrated butter knife. Matt and Ramona embarrassed him in front of us other kids and in public saying that he wasn't really trying to kill himself and that it was just a cut. Even though this might have been true, that he wasn't really trying to kill himself, that conversation should have been kept between them.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2006, 01:56:00 PM »
Cool beans, HG. So far, it sounds like a relatively benign scam.

What were the rules? Is there a published or formal list of them that we could look at? And were they implimented or interpreted reasonably close to a normal understanding of how they were written?

Here's what I'm trying to get at. In Straight, we had lots and lots of rules. And they all looked relatively reasonable on paper. But anything (any damned thing) can be used for torment, just depends on the will and abilities of the people in charge. So a good sense rule like 'no talking behind backs' meant that, litterally, you couldn't say to your parents that somebody got confronted or started over. I mean litterally, you couldn't say "Somebody got...." It was verbotten.

The overall effect of this (in combination of other written and unwritten rules and practices) was that it was impossible to communicate in any meaningful way. After an extended time down this rabbit hole, many ppl found it difficult to impossibl to communicate w/ oneself--to think (which, ironically enough, was one of the rules; "Think, think, think".

Personally, I think that's why so many of us have such huge gaps in memory of those days. Thing happened, people said and did things. But you could not comment or respond nor see or hear anyone else's take on it. It was almost like it never happened. That's the mindfuck.

Is there anything close to that going on up at Glacier Mountain?

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs.  
-- E. Grebenik

Offline hawaiianguy3

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2006, 03:40:00 PM »
No, there wasn't anything that extreme going on. The closest thing I could find to official rules is this link http://www.aboutglaciermtn.com/schedule.html
That's their official website.
The thing that was most wrong with the program is that the overseers were too lazy (Matt and Ramona)or didn't really care about us (Larry). The program was more like being at home, but having stricter parents. We could do basically the same stuff that we would do at home; hang out, talk, chores, but we couldn't watch TV or go out (until level 4 or 5). When someone did something bad they would just get dropped a level and have to stay in the program longer. So, everyone's incentive was to get out as quickly as possible, and to do that, you had to be good. The instances where there was abuse were rare. It happened about 4 or 5 times while I was there, which isn't good, but it's better than other places.
This program is not nearly as bad as some of the others out there. One kid just entered this program after leaving another in Jamaica, and he told us some pretty bad stories; but I don't think Glacier Mountain Academy helps kids too much, either. Jack (the school teacher), Larry (ran the program), and some other people who worked in the program were always nice to us. I like them and they're good people (actually, Larry isn't really that great a person, but he was nice). They are not qualified to work in what they are doing, though. Either because they lack the legal qualifications, or because they're in it for the money (Larry); and you can't be in that job for the money. I want you to want to help people if your program is actually going to help people.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2006, 09:34:00 PM »
Hawaiiguy: What did your parents THINK they were paying for? Did your parents think you were getting therapy, an education, or WHAT?  Did they just think you were "hanging out with a bunch of kids with substitute parents who were just STRICT?"
What do you think qualifies as abuse? You said you only saw abuse 4-5 times.
Did you THINK that boy cutting his wrist with that knife was a suicide attempt that just might have required REAL psychological or medical attention; rather than ridicule?

Offline hawaiianguy3

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
Well, first of all, my mother did expect more of the program than what they did. Exactly what, I don't know.
Like I posted earlier, Matt held a boy against the wall by his neck and that's all that I saw myself. But, I heard that Ramona slapped a boy across the face, but there were no witnesses to that one. Matt sat on a kid to hold him down before I got there. Alot of kids saw that one, but that may or may not have been legitimate. Matt pushed and held one kid against the wall for no good reason, but again, no witnesses to that one, either.
It doesn't matter if that kid was trying to kill himself for real; that was a private and delicate matter and should have been dealt with as such. I honestly don't know if he really was trying to kill himself or if he was just trying to get out of the program.[ This Message was edited by: hawaiianguy3 on 2006-01-13 10:33 ]

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »
Well, sounds to me asif GM is a relatively benign player in the industry. Ya' know, people joke around about setting up competing edcon outfits to ship kids off somewhere, give them all the pot and video games they want and just put the parents through a little LGA torment and say they're doing the same to the kids. But they're just joking, ya' know? The legal liability and real ethical issues .... WOW!

Also, sounds a lot like the Whitmore, only maybe having not gone off the deep end (yet? lately? who knows?)

But, right now w/ the limited information that I have, I'd mark GM as the best of the industry; a relatively benign experience for the kids, same great fleecing of the parents.

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit  people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good?  Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race?

--Frederic Bastiat -- 1801-1850