Author Topic: Skeletons in the Closet  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
Skeletons in the Closet
« on: February 14, 2005, 10:29:00 AM »
I just stumbled on this website and am a suvivor os the Marietta GA Straight from when it first opened. I spent a year in that chamber of horrors and was robbed of a part of my childhood. The fear, the abuse that was inflicted and the degradation stays with me to this day. I was court ordered along with a bunch of other people from Gastonia NC. There was nothing about recovery and the 7 steps that hung on the wall was only a cover for what they were. I wasn't allowed to talk to anyone who actually knew me nor was I near my family so I had to try to play their game. I lived in fear of being stripped of the the phase I was on and humiliated by being set back. I WAS ROBBED of being a teenager. It's been many years since Straight and I am currently in recovery and writing on my 4th step and when I saw this website it was like a nightmare I have tried to forget and will have to share about with my sponsor. As for the others from my hometown who were forced to go there is only a couple that I have seen in a 12 step fellowship and I know of 2 that have died. I'm glad someone started this site.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
Skeletons in the Closet
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »
Glad you found the site!!  It's a little unsettling to say the least when you first find this stuff.  I had to take it slowly at first.  Check out some of the other ones too...

http://thestraights.com/index.htm

http://www.the8thstep.com/

Given the choice between dancing pigs and security, people will choose dancing pigs every time.
-- Ed Felton (quoted in www-security about Active-X)

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Sophie

• View Profile
Skeletons in the Closet
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 12:09:00 PM »
Welcome, I'm glad you made it here.  I too am a member of a 12 step fellowship.  Processing my straight experience was essential for me... I am still processing it.

Just want to give you a warning.  There is a lot of controversy on this forum about participation in 12 step groups... please be true to yourself but understand that everyone experiences reality a different way.  I am comfortable with my choice to stay clean and participate in 12 step programs, others belive they are the same cults that straight was.

Please use this forum as a way to vent, explore and purge all your straight stuff.  It has been very useful for me.  

Feel free to send me a Private Message if you want to.

Again..welcome.. you will be understood here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Skeletons in the Closet
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 02:48:00 PM »
Welcome here. It's interesting tyo read your take on this post and the testimony post. On the straight alumni website there is a recent member from your program who says there was no abuse at all and is angry at the people who are not greatful for straight.

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
Skeletons in the Closet
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 07:41:00 PM »
This has been almost a major overload today. I've visited multiple sites, read multiple postings and the HORRORS are almost relived. I can't believe how the thoughts and memories still affect me. Knowing that Straight has spin offs and one is in the next town to me almost causes me to almost be sick. I still want to run for a door.

When elephants ? ght, it is the grass that suffers.

http://jonathangullible.com/translations/UK_Comnt040222.pdf' target='_new'>Kikuyu proverb

Offline marika708

• View Profile
Skeletons in the Closet
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »
Welcome, I was in the same Marietta GA Straight as you, there were a lot of people from Gastonia.  There was a running joke that it must be the drug capitol of the world because so many people were from there.  Turns out, Straight had a good recruiter in Gastonia.  

It can be pretty overshelming to find these sites, but most of all you'll find good people here that have been through exactly what you are dealing with now.  Feel free to email me, if you'd like.  [email protected]

Marika

Immortality: A toy which people cry for, And on their knees apply for, Dispute, contend and lie for, And if allowed Would be right proud Eternally to die for.
--Ambrose Bierce

arika
Atlanta \'83-\'84

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
Skeletons in the Closet
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 06:16:00 AM »
On 2005-02-14 11:48:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Welcome here. It's interesting tyo read your take on this post and the testimony post. On the straight alumni website there is a recent member from your program who says there was no abuse at all and is angry at the people who are not greatful for straight."

Just goes to show that the statement I make on the Alumni site is true. "Each of us brings our own history, values, philosophy, belief's, and recollection to the events of our lives, thus, we may describe similar situations, in vastly differing ways."

Welcome to the sites.

Don
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

Offline shady grove

• View Profile
Skeletons in the Closet
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2005, 09:59:00 AM »
Welcome

When I first found the all the straight sites I was a basket case for at least a week. Started remembering all this stuff I'd forgotten. I think everyone goes through this.

Glad to have another survivor. You're going to be ok. :wave:

Offline ehm

• View Profile
Skeletons in the Closet
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »
I was a basket case my first week too. Having it confirmed that Straight was abuse was both a blessing and a curse. It's now been 2 years since I found this site, and I have things in a much better perspective. A lot of this stuff is really hard to wrap your brain around. I hope you find the support you need to help you though the process.

Welcome.  :wave:

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
Skeletons in the Closet
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »
I forget the movie, but the quote was ?Welcome to Hell!?

The 4th step?One tid bid of ?what I wish I had done?, I would have had my sponsor read these web pages (or had them as an option for them to read)?sit with them and do a search on most any topic. It happened, it happened to you and to scores of others.

It isn?t really so important in my opinion that they come to grips with what took place, yet, I think it would have helped mine understand and to negate the idea of my ?supposed? exaggeration. It would have helped to have been believed during that process and time period of my life.  

Our past experience at Straight explains a lot about how we see and react/respond to this very day. It is certainly worth the investigation. You see I also felt ?robbed of my childhood? and I tried to play the game, I lived in that same fear of being ?setback? and I was. I was denied the right to attend my grandfather?s funeral, and I was also ?ROBBED? of being teenager. Unlike you, I was 14 and placed there by my parents?the other alternative (so I was told) JDC.

I could go on ad nauseam

It?s difficult at first and it sounds simple to say?but take it little bit by little bit. No need to go rooting up shitty memories, they will come easily enuff on their own. I recall hearing about a bunch of tires buried in the desert somewhere. Local Native Americans told officials not to bury them there, that the earth would reject them. They were essentially laughed out of the plans and the tires were buried. Eighteen months later all the tires had un-earthed them selves and had to be removed. It?s the same with shitty memories, they will come easy enuff, as our mind/body/souls will reject them and refuse to embrace such filth.

It may sound cheesy to say, but you are not alone. More people understand what it means to be a survivor of Straight Inc that you might think.

Welcome, I look forward to your posts in the future Doc.
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right