Author Topic: I desperately need advice.  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Fake Parent Troll

• View Profile
I desperately need advice.
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:47:00 PM »
Have any of you had to deal with some major "blips" in your educational path? My son got kicked out of a disastrous boarding school in March of his soph year do to a combination of factors- some his issues, some the school's. None of the issues were academic. He spent a year in a very structured boarding school with good academics and a strong support system and was admitted to a top prep boarding school in the NE where he is doing a 2nd junior year and will do a senior year. His academics were strong throughout all this upheaval. His emotional growth has been impressive, and he is regarded as a mature young man and a strong contributor to his current school. He is also likely to be a recruited runner which he will use to help him get an edge for some top schools. Everyone on this board seems so exceptional- any situations similar to ours? Thanks. Karen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 08:49:00 PM »
Please ignore DJ and his impersonation of me.  The above post is not mine and has nothing to do with this forum.
Karen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »
I don't care to name the programs my son attended. I have provided this information privately to posters on the strugglingtrolls site. I wish to remain anonymous on this site because I have been the target of hateful emails in the past. I also wish to protect the identity of my son.
I will say that I know of at least 6 wilderness programs where there have been no reports of any abuse and both parents and teens felt the programs were life-changing and worth every penny and day spent. Do you think the program in Shouting at the Sky is abusive? I have friends who have placed kids at Cascade in the past (before it went downhill) with great results for the teen and the family. The schools which sprung from Cascade, such as Carlbrook, have been praised by kids and family alike-even on THIS BOARD. I haven't heard anything about abuses at Oakley or Swift River, either.
Why am I here? I didn't even know about this site until Overlordd invaded our board. Having discovered it and how ugly the posters here are in responding to copied posts from the strugglingteens board, I felt that I should respond. When I see false things, I feel as though I should set the record straight for future parents who are doing research. I want to help other families who are facing a similar crisis to what mine faced.
As far as kicking my son out of the house- it was tempting. However, I saw too much potential in him. I chose to send him to a wilderness program and a TBS. I was not always a very good parent. Probably the best thing I have ever done for him was send him to wilderness. It was life-changing for him and for our family.
The problem with many of you regulars on this board is that you won't accept that many of these programs WORK and that what we are reporting is TRUE. That is a display of your immaturity and inability to dig out of your trench.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »
On 2006-05-02 17:49:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Please ignore DJ and his impersonation of me.  The above post is not mine and has nothing to do with this forum.

Karen"

Oh great, my own personal stalker troll.  :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
veryone on this board seems so exceptional- any situations similar to ours?

I agree on the comments about this board. I am sorry to say my situation is nothing like yours, my kids showed signs of trouble and I was able to handle it at home. Sorry I can't help!  :wave: