Author Topic: What's wrong with this forum, just ask St. Pete for Peace  (Read 2513 times)

Offline wesfager

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestraights.com
What's wrong with this forum, just ask St. Pete for Peace
« on: February 09, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »
This forum has always been long on complaining about what was done to them at Straight and short on doing anything about it.  Straight was founded by Mel and Betty Sembler yet there  was little discussion or participation from the Straight crowd when St. Pete for Peace protested the Sembler Company last month.  Most TV stations that covered the protest were careful to shoot their camera shots so that the Sembler  Company and its logo were not in the background.  Everyone quoted by the reporters sounded off about George Bush--all of which is noteworthy because there was a purpose for the protesters being at the  Sembler Company in the first place.  The Straigtht crowd was represented--but poorly.  Nevertheless some great photos were taken by the Straight crowd of the protesters with the Sembler Company in the background.  The photos are in our vaults for future books, newspaper  and magazine articles, web pages, fliers  and TV shows.  

Three years ago protesters flew in from  all around the country to protest at Sembler's home in Treasure Island.  A reporter from the new St. Pete Times was there taking names and shooting photos.  What great shots he took of 20+  people in line at the same time in front of the dynamic duo's home while others were on a bull horn across the street in the little park.  How often have people flown in from all over the country to protest an ambassador tied to child abuse on a grand scale--his Order of Australia notwithstanding.  What a great story. The Straight crowd did not take any pictures relying on the Times.  Well the Times never ran the  story and the pictures are lost.  But exactly one week later the Times announced that it had been given exclusive right to sell their paper in Sembler shopping malls.  This deal included large, electronic ticker tapes in Sembler malls and also an entertainment stage named for the Times.   From what I saw last month the  Times covered anti-inaugural protesters in California and elsewhere in the country but ignored the protesters across the street from it.  

Look, all I am saying is that you can buy off a newspaper or TV station as long as the story can be controlled.  But you can not control a story that involves the protest by 100 people--or more!!!  That brings in national level coverage that makes the local papers have to at least pretend to cover it.  Sitting on your duffs, talking  but  doing nothing is exactly what they want you to do.    They don't even want you discussing  it on the Internet, but they can't stop that.    So they settle on containment--limit it to a narrow group on the web.  Dear friends, you have to help make the story happen.  

Citizens for Legitimate Government have issues with the Semblers for trying to stiffle free speech and other issues as well--including those of the Straight crowd.  See:  http://www.legitgov.org/front_stpete_sc ... 12205.html

Who among you has even bothered to inform them that there will even be a protest?

And what about the Uhurus.  They have racism issues with Sembler.  Last year they did a joint protest with the Straight crowd of Sembler's home.  See: http://thestraights.com/pickets/st-vale ... /story.htm

Who would like to be at the protest but can not make it to Florida?  Would you consider staging a protest at a Holocaust Memorial in your area.  Can you send money? Who has contacted the press?  Who has contacted the picket coordinator to inquire whether there is anything you can do over and above showing up--which is the minimum you can do?  Who has even thanked the  coordinator for trying to put this together?  The coordinator can be reached at: http://stpeteforpeace.org/events.html

Wes Fager
ed., http://www.theStraights.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
es Fager
www.thestraights.com

\"If David Miscaviage can go to his deposition as Admiral Farragut, then Keith Henson can go as Bozo the Clown.\"  Wes Fager

Offline Dr. Miller Newton

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »
Yeah, Wes...big surprise. :lol: :lol: :lol:

These druggies here lack organization and motivation.
Teenage Drug Use Is A Disease

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »
Not sure if I am insulted by this post or not Wes.

I plan on being there, but not in protest. I am going to "celebrate" by maybe seeing faces I haven't seen in years...or seeing new faces that had the same experience as I did.

If the same amount of people wanted to show up at a state/city/county park I would want to attend that event also.

The fact that it's a "protest" is coincidental.

I guess we all have our own individual agendas. Perhaps if I were out of Straight 10-15, shit maybe even at 20 years after Straight I might have been inclined to "protest" and generally raise alot of stink.

Perhaps it's my age....I am just tired. I havent the energy for hate or debate. Just the comfort and satisfaction of being with those who know what I mean when I discuss Straight and not look at me as if I had three heads.

I know it's not popular to use the "F" word in respect to Straight, however it's been crucial for me to stop carrying the hate/rage (or as much as I can drop anyway). I am tired of being angry and riddled with rage, I truely believe it is cancerious.

The FAQ page says in the first paragraph regarding "Terms of Use", "This forum is offered as a resource to facilitate the shareing of information and viewpoints related to the topics designated by individual forum moderators and to coordinate and network efforts relating to them."

So I applaud you Wes for your contribution! Yet we also have the luxury afforded by that sentence to have opposing "viewpoints". While in Straight we (as a whole) could not agree to disagree. Now we have the opportuntiy to respectfully agree to disagree, something to celebrate is it not?

The "F" word catches alot of flack, to be sure! But the fact that I am going to attend a "protest", not because of the "protest" but to see people that I once may have hated with every last drop of bile in my body...the fact that I am anxious to see these people and open my arms to them...doesnt that just have a smidgen of the "F" word.  

Yeah, it's another "viewpoint" perhaps not popular (name witheld to avoid the abuse), but whats popular may not be for all people and just the same, whats worked for some will not be popular with all.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »
:eek: Will YOU be there Wes?

Offline Dr. Miller Newton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 04:55:00 PM »
plan on being there, but not in protest. I am going to "celebrate" by maybe seeing faces I haven't seen in years...or seeing new faces that had the same experience as I did.

Anon, I applaud you for your desire to reconvene with your fellow straightlings instead of getting caught up in the drug-crazed rantings of these so-called "survivors." :wave:
Teenage Drug Use Is A Disease

Offline Fr. Cassian

• View Profile
    • http://goat.cx
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 05:35:00 PM »
On 2005-02-09 08:54:00, wesfager wrote:

"This forum has always been long on complaining about what was done to them at Straight and short on doing anything about it.

It's called Amotivational Syndrome, Fager, and it comes from using drugs.  That's why I am not worried in the slightest about anything you and this Fornits crowd of malcontent ingrates care to do.  Ruthie and I had a good laugh after the zoning hearing, which, by the way, ended triumphantly for me!  Love ya!
I am a priest of GOD!

Offline Erinys

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 06:52:00 PM »

On 2005-02-09 08:54:00, wesfager wrote:

They don't even want you discussing  it on the Internet, but they can't stop that.    So they settle on containment--limit it to a narrow group on the web.  Dear friends, you have to help make the story happen.  

OK Wes, Excellent point. Getting the word out is crucial. But how?  You just posted some great links.

I propose a forum in either  Announcements & Tech Support or Open Discussions devoted to the posting of contact information for the media.
Also contact info for senators and congressmen, local govt and regulatory agencies.
Here would be names and email addresses for journalists, print and otherwise. Lists of media outlets by state (with addresses). Perhaps also a place for notes and updates as to who has taken advantage of the contact info and results if any. Also a good place for discussion of the relative merits of each and tips for presenting our case to the media.

I suggest Open Forums, because it ain't just about Straight anymore.

This forum would be a resource for anyone who wants to do something, even if they can't show up or send money.

Critiques or more suggestions anyone?

...the people have a right to keep and bear arms.
-- Patrick Henry and George Mason Debates

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »
If I were down there, I would go. But I'm w/ our anon friend. I'd go to meet and talk w/ people. I'd want to see who else showed up w/ what kind of beef. I'd want to learn something and get a better understanding of the big picture. Secondarily, I'd want to share my little piece of the puzzle w/ whoever I might meet who seemed genuinely interested.

It's not asif the Program were some deep dark secret and all we had to do was to expose the fact of the matter. No, this is an accepted part of the philosophy held by some extremely powerful and well supported pillars of the community.

If you're so inclined, then go ahead and carry a sign and bring a bullhorn and do whatever you feel the need to do. I think the problem we're addressing is much bigger than just the bizarre experience that us "fortunate" children of the true believers can tell. And I think the best thing I can do about it is to try to better understand it and make friends w/ others who are puzzling over the same problem.

No more martyrs, please. We've had too many already. We need all of society, or at least a large segment, to recognize the damage we're doing to ourselves through zealot altruism.

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled.
-- Plutarch

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 07:45:00 PM »
Whats wrong with this forum?

Nothing. It is accomplishing exactly what it was intended to, that is to  provide a soapbox for all interested in discussing Straight, Inc.

One might better ask what is wrong with the protest. Are you getting the support, the numbers, the recognition you want? Because if you are or aren't, it has nothing to do with this website.

Good luck to those going and organizing it. May you come across as calm adults, sane,organized, and above all else, credible.

The two issues are not entwined. The protest is of intrest to people who  post here, and certainly some people who post here will participate, but by no means are the two connected.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 08:26:00 PM »
We need something like this!

http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/4180042/detail.html

I don't agree with this particular story personally, however images are what get attention.  We need something very very visual!

I have not come up with that image yet, any ideas?

What image would make it into the news?

VSP

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 01:28:00 AM »
Wes,
I LOVE IT when you rear up on your hind legs like that,but your ass IS getting wider every day (roll us both down the mountain and I'm sure the fat man will win)!
I hate "The Bushie" just as much as you do,but I think your POLITICAL website has harmed our cause and makes us ALL look like a bunch of kooks.
Maybe there is more national attention to our cause today,but YOUR website impeded our progress when it COULD have been used by us as a teaching tool,instead it looks like a "Bushie" website,with "funny dancing Bush cartoons" and all!
Wes Fager,YOU SUCK!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 07:43:00 AM »
Wes disregard the what was said. Just consider the source! Another arm chair activist..............

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »
Wes, I appreciate the work your site has done.

My Fornits Friends, I would not be as healthy
today without you.

May both thestraights.com and fornits never be
silenced by fear or apathy.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 06:11:00 PM »
humpty-bumpty

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 07:40:00 AM »
Reminds me of when staff used to try to get us "motivated"...I don't get motivated as a result of someones plea. I motivate, get active, when I am moved to do so....not by a battle cry, or when I am "expected" to.

However, I will be there and if it helps "the cause" great...but I am going to see people not to protest.
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right