Author Topic: Psychology Today article on BM  (Read 2322 times)

Offline idioteque

• View Profile
Psychology Today article on BM
« on: January 29, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »
"The Loose Screw Awards"
Psychology's Top 10 Misguided Ideas

----

#3 'Meanest'
Correctional Boot Camps

In the late 1970's, government leaders were desperately seeking remedies for the nation's soaring crime rate. One solution, inspired in part by the tough love message coming from mental health professionals, was to establish military-style boot camps where harsh discipline and strict regimes would set people straight.

Although initial reports were encouraging, by the mid-1990s troubling stories bagan to appear about abuse and sadism at the camps. In 1998 five staff members at a boot camp in Arizona-- including the camp nurse-- were indicted in connection with death of a 16-year old inmate. At the time of his death, his body was covered with cuts and bruises-- 71 in all. The camp was eventually shut down, and 16 of its staff members were added to the state's registry of child abusers.

The biggest problem with boot camps, however, is that they just don't do the job. Recidivism of 60 percent or more is common-- as high as, or higher than, recidivism rates generated through more benign programs. Experts on learning have long known that harsh discipline mainly teaches people to be harsh themselves-- and to hate their abusers-- but that message is getting through only belatedly to the boot camp advocates.

As the head of a National Institutes of Health panel that studied "get tough" programs nationwide summed it up a few months ago: "All the evaluations have shown [the programs] don't work.

-- Dr. Robert Epstein, 'Psychology Today'  Feb 2005
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
Apparently in america these days, suffering and being 'hard' is a intrisnic quality all its own.

So, good luck getting through to the people who preach of all that stuff but ride in a couch-equipped SUV and eat fast food.

Whenever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson: Kentucky Resolutions, 1798

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline idioteque

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 01:13:00 AM »
Yeah, the article describes boot camps somewhat posthumously. And perhaps rightly so; boot camps are a dying breed compared with RTCs.

Still, you gotta admire his innocent optimism, "... that message is getting through only belatedly to the boot camp advocates."

I'm sure the "advocates" are appalled and taking appropriate action as we speak.  :roll:

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 02:02:00 PM »
The RTC's use the same approach - but are more dangerous in my opinion because  the abuse is done behind locked doors and usually there are few if any witnesses. My own child was covered in bruices - the police saw this and documented it and then did absolutely nothing.

What is truly horrific is the fact that the police obviously support this type of teen-abuse - not taking into consideration that some of the teens are not violent juvenile offenders - but are suffering from mental illness - most often depression.

There is an automatic predudice against children attending these programs.  They are essentially veiwed as delinquents who deserve to be beaten to a pulp.  

This was a good article - and it's good that these things are being published - because heightened public awareness is absolutely essential befor progress can be made to stop the torent of maltreatment and abusive treatment in the teen industry.  [ This Message was edited by: cherish wisdom on 2005-01-30 11:04 ]
If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »
I don't think the average parent really understands BM, and certain that program parents have no clue how their kids are being conditioned.
Here are a few good articles on the subject. One of my favorite quotes, "Is the choice we offer a child truly a choice or a mind game in which we use words that sound as though the child rationally chose punishment?"

While this applies to all programs, for 50 points, which one springs to mind when you read that?

From The Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development   Founded in 1943, ASCD's mission is to forge covenants in teaching and learning for the success of all learners.
 http://www.ascd.org/readingroom/edupdate/1996/1sep.html
Traditional approaches to classroom management based on rewards and Punishments are proving less effective today, experts find....Moreover, if teachers rely on punishments, students weigh the cost of misbehavior. For a particular student, it might be "worth it" to beat up Mary, despite the punishment that follows. Students in such an environment "never develop an ownership of the social responsibility involved," Riner says.
This last point is central to the beliefs of many experts: Authoritarian approaches may get students to comply, but they don't help students develop self-discipline and responsibility. When teachers rely on punishment and praise, they "leave kids at the lowest level of development," says Barbara Coloroso, author of Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline. Students' behavior is guided by the question: "What's in it for me?"
Given these considerations, many teachers are seeking new approaches to classroom management that not only work better but also teach better lessons. These teachers hope to instill an intrinsic motivation to do the right thing, so students will behave in a socially responsible way because they want to--not out of fear.
Teachers can also build students' commitment to social responsibility by rejecting punishments in favor of "logical consequences" for misbehavior, experts say. The latter are closely related to the infraction and often include an element of making restitution. Unlike punishments, which are intended to make children suffer, logical consequences give children who are at fault a sense of how to improve, and help them regain their dignity and self-respect, experts maintain.
Although a consequence may feel unpleasant, it teaches the child to make better choices, says Allen Mendler, coauthor of Discipline with Dignity. A punishment, such as putting a child in "time out" for five minutes, is "just a sentence," he says. The teacher should ask the child in "time out" to come up with a plan for doing better in the future.
Some experts, like Alfie Kohn, believe consequences are merely disguised versions of punishments, and have the same negative effects on children. "To contrive some sort of conceptual link between the punishment and the crime may be satisfying to the adult, but in most cases it probably makes very little difference to the child," Kohn writes in Beyond Discipline. "The child's (understandable) anger and desire to retaliate come from the fact that someone is deliberately making her suffer."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

National Child Protection Clearinghouse
Marianne James-Senior Research Officer
http://www.aifs.org.au/nch/issues1.html
Three types of abuse which can be included in societal systems have been identified: institutional abuse; program abuse; and system abuse. Institutional abuse has been defined to include abuse as a result of: 'any system, program, policy, procedure or individual interaction with a child in placement that abuses, neglects, or is detrimental to the child's health, safety, or emotional and physical well-being, or in any way exploits or violates the child's basic rights' (Gil 1982, p.9). Program abuse has been defined as occurring when 'programs operate below accepted service standards or rely upon harsh and unfair techniques to modify behaviour' (Gil 1982, p.9). System abuse has been defined as abuse that is 'perpetuated not by a single person or agency, but by the entire child care system stretched beyond its limits' (Powers, Mooney and Nunno 1990).
Emotional Abuse is a behavioural pattern whereby a parent or caregiver attacks a child's self-esteem and social competence over a period of time. Some examples of actions which may result in emotional abuse are: children constantly being told they are no good or worthless; children being continually rejected and shown no affection; children subjected to repeated verbal abuse and threats; children punished by being locked up alone or not being allowed to have friends or social activities (NSW Child Protection Council 1993).
Emotional abuse can harm children just as much as other forms of abuse, with which it can occur concurrently. It may, however, be difficult to identify because it does not leave any physical injuries. It often goes unrecognised until a child shows signs of emotional problems. These signs can include: changes in behaviour; lying and stealing; destructive or violent behaviour; rocking the body or sucking things; being very withdrawn or depressed; being aggressive and constantly seeking attention. These signs can also indicate other forms of abuse (NSW Child Protection Council 1993).

From University of Kansas  Department of Educational  Psychology and Research
http://projects.scrtec.org/~adams/epr30 ... nish.shtml

http://www.here2listen.com/public/topic ... shment.htm l
The Uses and Abuses of Punishment
To eliminate undesired behaviors, it is usually more effective and lasting to reinforce desirable behavior than to punish the unwanted behavior. Sometimes, however, people and institutions decide that such reinforcement isn't practical or cannot be delivered expediently.

Unfortunately, it is widely accepted in this and other cultures that punishment is not only necessary but actually beneficial to character: "Spare the rod and spoil the child" (not a quote from the Bible, incidentally). Are the consequences of punishment, such as physically and verbally assaulting wrongdoers, serious enough that we should question such assumptions? When those in authority use punishment to control people's behavior, they show that they have failed to find constructive and rewarding ways to motivate others. Further, those who deliver punishment can lose control too easily and abuse their victims, especially children. Punishment causes physical harm, emotional scars, and hatred of the punisher. Worst of all, the punished person learns that aggression is an acceptable means of controlling others.(2)(3) Finally, when responses are punished, individuals may become helpless, defeated, and depressed. Because of these problems, punishment may be impossible to administer effectively, responsibly, and without costly side effects.

http://www.nncc.org/221/classnotes/April17.html
?Underneath every misbehavior is an unmet need.  Physiological needs;   Needs for security;  Need to belong; Need to feel valued
 221 LECTURE NOTES      April 17, 2001
Guidance Techniques: A Counter-Argument to the "Rules and Consequences Face"
based on Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise, and Other Bribes by Alfie Kohn

The Truth about Behaviorism
Based on belief that you are what you do.
Founded on animal research - guess who's in control there??
Behavior change reliant on two strategies: reward (positive reinforcement) and punishment.

What is the Goal?
What kind of adults do we want children to become?
Do rewards and punishment accomplish that goal?
For whom are we using rewards and punishment?
At what price is obedience bought?

The Truth About Rewards
* Rewards punish.
* they are controlling: "If you do what I think is important, I will give you this. If you don't, I will make that happen to you."
when rewards are withheld or threatened to be withheld, it becomes punishment. "The question is not whether more flies can be caught with honey than with vinegar, but why the flies are being caught in the first place - and how this feels to the fly."
* Rewards rupture relationships.
* Emphasizes powerful-powerless relationship
* Negatively affects relationships among children:
* encourages judgments and acceptance based on behavior, not intrinsic worth
* diminishes helping and cooperating
* encourages competition - everyone else is a potential obstacle to me getting mine
* Negatively affects adult - child relationship
* most effective adult-child relationship for child's overall development is caring, trustworthy relationship in which children feel accepted and can rely on adult for help in solving problems
* Rewards reduce trust, willingness to ask for help
P. 58 "Both rewards and punishments induce a behavior pattern whereby we try to impress and curry favor with the person who hands them out. Whether we are looking to secure a reward or avoid a punishment is almost beside the point. Either way, what we don't have is the sort of relationship that is defined by genuine concern and that invites us to take the risk of being open and vulnerable - the sort of relationship that inspires people to do their best and can truly make a difference in their lives."
* Rewards ignore reasons
P. 59 [example of 3-year-old refusing to go to bed]  Would reasons for misbehavior change the way you react?
* Rewards discourage risk-taking and creativity.
Risk-taking - you will do what you need to in order to receive the goody, and no more, nothing different
Creativity - "Rewards usually improve performance only at extremely simple - indeed, mindless - tasks, and even then they improve only quantitative performance." [books for pizza programs]
* Rewards decrease interest in the target behavior. P. 70 [magic markers experiment]  

Some facts about extrinsic motivation:
* The reward becomes the goal, not the behavior.
* Rewarding a behavior will increase the incidence of that behavior as long as the reward continues and as long as the reward is rewarding.
* Intrinsic motivation doesn't take over once we've gotten children interested in the behavior through rewards. p. 74 - pizza for books
* Rewards lessen children's interest in the behavior even when the rewards are self-administered.
* Extrinsic motivators are most destructive for the behaviors that we want children to WANT to do.
* Extrinsically motivated people tend to be more depressed, feel more helpless.
* Rewards have a negative effect on motivation, regardless of age, tasks, gender.
* Intrinsic motivation (our long-term interest in continuing a behavior because of the behavior itself) is lessened when we are:
threatened.....watched ......expected to be evaluated .....forced to work under a deadline .....ordered around (if I have to be enticed to do this, there must be something about it I'm not supposed to like) .....competing against other people

The Truth about Punishment
*Punishment: Any reliance on power to make something unpleasant happen to a child as a way of trying to alter that child's behavior.
* Punishment teaches: the desire to avoid punishment (in whatever way possible)
* Punishment teaches: that when you are bigger or stronger than someone else, you can make them do what you want; control is important, valued; remember modeling!
* Punishment provokes: resistance and resentment; the adult is someone to be avoided

"The more you use power to control people, the less real influence you'll have on their lives."

Good Kids without Goodies
Set reasonable limits:
* have a defensible purpose: Is what you are asking children to do (or stop doing) reasonable?
* use minimal restrictiveness: Use the least amount of control necessary; "Don't move a child roughtly if you can move her gently; don't move her gently if you can tell her to move; don't tell her if you can ask her; don't ask her unless you have a good reason."
* have the child contribute to setting the limit (to the degree developmentally possible)
* Examine your need to be in control

If you were to ask a child in your classroom what the teachers want children to be like, what would they say?
* Research shows that the more controlling or coercive a parent is, the more diruptive and aggressive the child is away from home.
* Punishment teaches about the use of power, not how or why to behave properly.
* Punishment often assumes that children are in some way our adversaries, that if we don't "let them know who's boss" they will "try to get away with something" or that they've "won."
* There is a huge difference between: "You've misbehaved; now here's what I'm going to do to you." and "Something has gone wrong; what can we do about it?"

"But what about really bad behavior?"
"The negative effects of punishment and rewards are still negative, even when the child's behavior is especially disturbing or repeated."

Solving behavior problems: The Three C's
Content: What am I asking children to do? Is it reasonable considering the age or abilities or the child? considering the circumstances? Is it something I would value in an adult? Is it truly necessary?
Being willing to consider the reasonableness of your limit or request isn't being wishy-washy, it's being reasonable - a characteristic that will foster a child's trust and respect.

Collaboration :Give an explanation: Research shows that children are more likely to respond positively to a request what a rationale has been provided. Think outloud, with the child, about what went wrong and why. This ISN'T lecturing, this is discussing. Take the time to later evaluate the outcome with the child.

Choice  Is the choice we offer a child truly a choice or a mind game in which we use words that sound as though the child rationally chose punishment?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »
I think its funny how people either totally forget their own childhood, and how it felt, OR, somehow think its 'good' that they felt the way they did being subjugated and dominated.

When people explained shit to me and I 'got it' It made sense to me. Being a AS case I didn't 'get' like most kids it was bullshit and I should go along if they gave me the I am the parent you are the child line, I just got angry and confused.

And yeah, punishment just made me want to avoid the punishment or the punisher. Even now I cant stand my grandparents. But my mom and stepdad came to meet me half way so I have an actual relationship.

I still get ticked off when they start lecturing (bitching) at me and I get a blank face, and they bitch about my blank face. Yeah I'm supposed to show emotion when youre just telling me meaningless whining? Guess being different is just part of the game.

Pray: To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
--Ambrose Bierce

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 10:15:00 PM »
this is important information. i am glad i found all this.

Offline chi3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 03:08:00 AM »
the reason program parents don't realize their children are being brainwashed is because they are usually brainwashed first! the way the programs work, they have the parents attend their seminars before their children attend their's. this way the parents are wholeheartily in favor of the system. they also reaffirm that by all the different seminars at strategic times. just when you are frustrated, think it has been way too long that little timmy has been in the program, without making real progress, wham! time for another parent seminar! this way they keep stringing you along until your kid has been there a couple of years instead of the 6-12 mos. they told you it usually takes. my personal favorite is the "choosing out" process of the seminars. For the child to be able to progress to the next level, and to earn rewards such as a 5 minute call with his parents, and a candy bar once a week, the child must complete each seminar.(the paren't must complete their seminar,also, or they are not "invited" to visit their child). When the child goes to the 3 day seminar, which can last 12 or more hours a day, if the child seems to be not fully brainwashed to the seminar coach and assts., belief, they are asked to leave. They then say that they didn't make the child leave, the child "chose out" due to his lack of participation! Then, they tell the parent this is a good thing, because it makes the program more real to the child and meant that the child wouldn't have gotten the full essence of the program and would have missed a key part. Your child then can take the seminar again, but must wait several more months to do so, when it is seminar time again. The child can " choose out" of the seminar many times. on top of this, there are at least 4 or 5 seminars he can keep "choosing out" of! Isn't that a cool way to make lots of money? If only your child would get their act together! But you must remember, there are no accidents, and it's not your program, it's your child's, you have to let go and let them do their program, you are only responsible for your own program. Makes perfect sence doesn't it????