Author Topic: social workers  (Read 2118 times)

Offline emsw11

• View Profile
social workers
« on: April 01, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »
I have a question for all of you Elan graduates.
My boyfriend was in Elan 3 from 96-98ish, and we have had countless conversations about everything that went on there, most of which makes me confused and angry.
I am especially interested in the program and how it was run because i am currently completing my Master's degree in Social Work. I don't work with adolescents now, but may sometime in the future.
I am wondering what your opinions are of your social workers at Elan.
I don't quite understand it because it seems to me that much of the systems of punishment and interventions are more damaging than helpful.
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
social workers
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »
Ha!

We were not in the hands of loving social workers.  We were in the hands of child molestors, child abusers, and drug abusers who had absolutely no background in social work or any other field related to the proper care of adolescents with problems.

Offline RaeRae

• View Profile
social workers
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »
Honestly I have never heard of child molestion come outta elan, unless ur talking about sagatory rape.  
Anyways I don't think many of the staff at elan held degrees in social work.  I would think hiring someone to work the grueling hours elan had their staff work,not to mention the belittlement I often witnessed wasn't very appealing to someone who just went through 4+ years of schooling.  Some of the people their were dicks, and assholes, and their were ones like Missy, and Jenn H who really did give a shit about us. Those were the people who made life at elan easier.
-Rachel

Offline SyN

• View Profile
social workers
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 07:44:00 PM »
what house was he in?
 Social workers, lol all we had was each other, and even then we had to watch our backs.
Mike
A word to the wise is infuriating.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
social workers
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 07:55:00 PM »
there was one social worker, Kate. Other than that, abusers.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
social workers
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »
Marian Carney was a licensed social worker, although she didn't really serve in that capacity.  Marian was awesome.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
social workers
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »
So was Mike Graff.  There were actually quite a few staff with the proper qualifications it's just that Elan did not put them into the proper positions that they would be most effective.  They would also promise them to put them into these positions but never did.  There was also a Psychologist named Art and they had him doing the total opposite of Psychology, he was running the school and not doing the therapy that he should have been doing.  But Kate was awesome and certainetly overworked and did not have the time to handle all of the females on campus which is what they expected her to do.  Some of the staff had experience in working in the mental health field but no degree.

Offline emsw11

• View Profile
social workers
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 01:30:00 PM »
He was in Elan 3 from 96-98 roughly...maybe 97-99.
I suppose it's good to hear that at least the ones that were actual degreed social workers were the ones that people liked or were helpful.
It's just such a shame that those weren't the people doing most of the work with the students. Behaviorally we are programmed to respond better to praise and incentive than to punishment and deterrents. Seems like Elan staff missed that golden nugget of information!

Offline emsw11

• View Profile
social workers
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »
Hey Syn,
I'm a friend of Nick Susi's, and my boyfriend is Erik Stasiowski.
Nick told me to let you know who I was, and to say hi for him.
-Liz

Offline Mister Pink

• View Profile
social workers
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »
sooo... they should have led us donkeys around with a carrot and not a whip?

if you weren't there...
quot;Its a shame the way she makes me scrub the floor\" - Bob Dylan

Offline emsw11

• View Profile
social workers
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 11:01:00 PM »
I most certainly do not attempt to know what really went on there.
 Nor was I suggesting that they "lead you donkeys around with carrots instead of whips." I'm not saying there should be no punishment and only reward systems.
I was merely stating that a basic hallmark of human behavior is that we respond better to rewards than we do to punishments.
Perhaps giving the students there some sense of control over their situations instead of taking away all manner of control of their lives might prove to be a more successful intervention.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
social workers
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 09:14:00 AM »
You bring up an interesting subject, behavioral response to praise/punishment. First of all, you need to start with defining "better". Who is it better for? The person or the institution? Do people who are praised more than punished truly respond in a "better" fashion?

Take military bootcamp for example; an intense psychological and physical period in which an organization takes an individual and incorporates the individual into the whole. Drill Instructors are not your friends, they are derogatory, insulting, and verbally abusive. They do however dole out small, miniscule bits of praise such as a "good job". The situation created makes people strive harder for that tiny reward than most of the people have ever worked in their lives for material things like paychecks. However, that praise is ONLY made effective because of the punishment that is so generously doled out.
Now, at the end of the experience, the recruits feel accomplished, proud, and many actually thank their drill instuctors. The ultimate in manipulation is when you are able to get a previously resistant person to renounce their prior beliefs, wholely embrace your value system and thank you for doing it.
The recruits, who are now responsive without thinking on their own at all, who are almost mechanical in their operation are now incorporated into the organization.
The entire concept of bootcamp is quite similar to Elan. Essentially, there are individuals who are not conforming to the social standards, and they will be made to conform to that organizations values and belief system.
Now, we get into the area of "Better". It is not productive or time efficent for the military to praise everyone on their remarkable individuality, help them discover their passion, and set them on the path to spiritual enlightenment. So, on the organizational level, it is not "better" to praise the individual, it is inefficent at best, and breeds resentment at worst.
From the individual's perspective, why don't you go ask a United States Marine if deep down they dont wish that their Drill Instructors had coddled them more, told them how wonderful they were and remembered to be more considerate and praise them for their good deeds. Maybe, you could ask them if that sense of discipline had ever saved their lives or being able to deal with the abuse had proved beneficial in other aspects of their life when their was no alternative BUT deal with the situation. Maybe they would tell you that they had a sense of accomplishment that they were able to push themselves through the punishment and be able to grow up and deal with not being praised every time they successfully wiped their ass.
The concept of praise you are talking about works with children, and makes sure they dont turn out to be serial killers and poorly adjusted adults. Obviously however Elan students such as myself, were not responsive to typical social responses like your own and thus more drastic measures were taken by society.

The MORALITY and ethics involved with brainwashing people and attempting to change their world view to fit your own, is an entirely different subject, but perhaps you can bring it up later...

-Greg Melik E-8 2001-2004